Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human resource managment @ DIT

Options
  • 18-04-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Probably going to put this very near the top of my CAO and I'm looking for some information on it from anyone who is doing or has done it. Thanks!

If anyone can tell me : What the class sizes are like
    Any pros or cons of the course
    What the workload is like
    Is the social aspect of the course good
    How many hours on average per week the course is
    if the course is a mix of boys and girls

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Clodagh18 wrote: »
    Probably going to put this very near the top of my CAO and I'm looking for some information on it from anyone who is doing or has done it. Thanks!

If anyone can tell me : What the class sizes are like
    Any pros or cons of the course
    What the workload is like
    Is the social aspect of the course good
    How many hours on average per week the course is
    if the course is a mix of boys and girls

Thanks guys!

Hey! I'm in the first year of HRM right now and I can tell you that this course is really good as long as you put some effort into studying and going to lectures.

Pros are that it's small class sizes (30), only few hours a week and it covers many aspects of business world (not just HRM). Cons would be that you need to study a lot, and also in my opinion some of the assignments are absolutely stupid. They are not HRM related and nothing that was covered in class before (thankfully it doesn't happen a lot).

Social aspect? Hmm.. it depends on who you get in your class, personally my class is going out from time to time but there is a lot of what I would call "Popularity contest", a lot of people seem to be trying to act cool and it just makes them look stupid. But I wouldn't depend on your class as the only people you would be hanging around with, personally 4/5 of friends I made in college are outside my course, year or even campus.

This year in both semesters we had only 15 hours, which is about 3-4hours a day. In the first semester we had Mondays and Thursdays (I think xD) off. This semester we have Mondays off.

And there is a mix of both boys and girls, but definitely more girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

In the final year myself.

I've heard the format has changed a little for all the classes behind mine. Like we have to do a thesis, but you guys won't apparently?
    And some of the modules are completely different and less intensive, (we were doing advanced economics in first year apparently, but its much handier now.)

DIT is a great college, HRM is interesting and like TheAlkaline said, it is essentially a business course with a focus on HRM.

To be honest I've managed to get to fourth year with a 2.1 average and with minimal effort.

Loads of effort required in the final year though, I'm on target for a 1.1. ;)

EDIT: In terms of people, i get what TheAlkaline is saying bout the 'popularity contest' thing, but I think you'll find that in all courses to be honest, its a part of people integrating in first year. It dies down a bit after first year when everyone gets to know, and is comfortable with each other.

Personally I've made some of the best friends I've ever had in my class, and I hope to remain friends with the majority of them long after I'm finished.

I've had some of the best nights out of my life with college, and we even organised some trips away.

Although, study and the work placement put a bit of a stopper on that once you hit 3rd year.

It is what you make of it how much you want to get involved! :) Have fun, but keep an eye on the books. (Occasionally) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clodagh18

Thank you guys so much! That was all really helpful and really broadened my views on the course, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Clodagh18 wrote: »
    Thank you guys so much! That was all really helpful and really broadened my views on the course, appreciate it!

If by any chance you are going to be an Access student in DIT for HRM, then more than likely I will be your mentor for access ;)

Advertisement