Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

foreign wrote: »
    KVV, the difference between the light bars on the RSU and the traffic cars is the RSU are just info boards, the traffic ones are used for lane closures

Can I ask what the difference is (genuine question)? They both seem somewhat similar in regards to screen size/amount of wording/content they can display?

I drove behind the RSU one before in daylight and it had 'Garda Armed Response Unit' (or something to that affect) scrolling on it and it was easily seen.

In that case they were in front of me in traffic though. Not the same situation as encountering a lane closure on a motorway, obviously (although I thought the Isuzu D-Max with it's big roof sign was intended for those purposes?).

Boaty wrote: »
    KKV just like to say I really enjoy all your photos in the ES gallery you do a great job.

Most Gardai couldn't give a crap about you wanting to take a picture, more than likely they are thinking that you'll use the pictures against them in some way.

"Is there an 'inside ruling' of sorts that photography is frowned upon?"

That's the case at my local station after pictures of cars appeared on this fourm.

Boaty, are you a Garda, yourself? If so, can I ask why, once car images started appearing here, the station chose to frown upon it, rather than embrace it? Were there any real reasons given (I stress 'real', because I'm well aware of the usual 'operational reasons' cop out that's usually thrown about).

I just find it very odd that they (AGS) are always giving out about having no fleet, then there's an enormous song and dance about getting new cars, and once the cars start appearing around the country, anyone found looking at them gets a raised eyebrow.

carzony wrote: »
    I'v often been down the courts in park gate street looking at the patrol cars parked up. It doesnt take long to get guards looking at ya thinking your up to somthing.. I'd imagine if you had a camera they wouldnt be to pleased.

It's strange you say that, one of the nicest Gardai I've ever met was sitting in a car outside the court in Drogheda (Garda was in from Dublin, so I haven't seen him since, I don't think). Wholly encouraged me to shoot everything in sight.

But that, again, is obviously down to each individual Garda.

I'd just need to find one, currently active Garda in Drogheda's Station who has even a remotely similar interest in Garda equipment and I'd be laughing.

Can I ask what the difference is (genuine question)? They both seem somewhat similar in regards to screen size/amount of wording/content they can display?

I drove behind the RSU one before in daylight and it had 'Garda Armed Response Unit' (or something to that affect) scrolling on it and it was easily seen.

In that case they were in front of me in traffic though. Not the same situation as encountering a lane closure on a motorway, obviously (although I thought the Isuzu D-Max with it's big roof sign was intended for those purposes?).

I mean their use. Could be the same units in them. But I don't find them suitable for use. Now obviously if it's going to be an ongoing closure then they would have better equipment, like the M50 concessions vehicles or even the NRA incident response vans. But the visibility is just too poor for daytime, and as you can see from the pic that I've posted they went backwards with the blue lights compared to what was fitted to the Avensis and the later Connects and Focus'.

I mean their use. Could be the same units in them. But I don't find them suitable for use. Now obviously if it's going to be an ongoing closure then they would have better equipment, like the M50 concessions vehicles or even the NRA incident response vans. But the visibility is just too poor for daytime, and as you can see from the pic that I've posted they went backwards with the blue lights compared to what was fitted to the Avensis and the later Connects and Focus'.

Well, can I ask, unless I'm picking you up wrong somewhere along the way, are we not in agreement with each other? (that the RSU lightbar serves the same function, but is much more modern looking)?

Well, can I ask, unless I'm picking you up wrong somewhere along the way, are we not in agreement with each other? (that the RSU lightbar serves the same function, but is much more modern looking)?

Not really. The RSU May as well be advertising the daily specials in the local convenience store. The scrolling bar is just stupid.

Not really. The RSU May as well be advertising the daily specials in the local convenience store. The scrolling bar is just stupid.
    I mean their use. Could be the same units in them.

I'm confused. Are they not both scrolling units? I haven't seen the Soviet Russian Garda car in reality, but I assumed the displays on both units would be the same thing (or close, anyway?). :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

KKV here in anticipation, looking forward to the pics !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

3fullback wrote: »
    KKV here in anticipation, looking forward to the pics !

same :D

love kkv pics

So, just to add a bit of back story, as obviously I'd been whinging about the Gardai only two or three posts prior to putting up some new shots of their latest gear.

Pretty much, they wanted me to pop down to the Station, as the Gardai are playing a game of football against a Local Youth Team, in aid of "A Chance For Alice" (A local, known, charity set up to benefit a young child).

Whilst on the phone to me, to ask would I do the photos for them, I said I absolutely would, no problem at all, but also asked about the Hyundai (now, I want to stress, I made it clear that I didn't care if I never seen the Hyundai again, I'd still do their group photos to promote the game).

So she said she'd ask about it and see what she could do. Today, I arrived at the station and did their group photos and, as I was finished, I was saying my goodbyes when she said they had a new Hyundai, which was currently not in service, as it had only arrived at the station that day (about an hour before I arrived I'd been told).

So I wandered around and the Sergeant over the ComPol in the Drogheda station gave it a quick hose off (To get rid of the minor dirt that had gotten onto it from the lads presumably giving it a test drive or two).

After this, he brought it to a different car park across from the station (at my request) to isolate it a bit more. After taking a handful of photos, the Sgt. remarked that it'd have been good to get the two of them together. I agreed it would have been a nice touch, so out came the phone and he rang the lads that were out patrolling in the other Hyundai.

About 2 minutes later the other car was with us and I had both on blues. I got about 10 minutes with both cars and did two or three different 'poses' (for want of a better word) before letting the other lads head off to do their other bits. Was surprised they came down in the first place. Just wish I'd known and I'd have prepared a bit more.

After they'd left I got one or two quick interior photos of the new Hyundai, and thanked the Sgt. for his time.

I took a quick shot of the Gardai together and told them I'd email it on along with some car photos (obviously I wont put photos of the lads themselves up here).

So I have to say, they were really quite sound and went far above any expectations I had of them. Very surprised. They also weren't rushing me or 'tutting' at every request, so I don't know what to make of the situation at all. My usual impression is that they don't want the hassle of people shooting their stuff, but then after spending 5 minutes doing some quick group shots, they give me about 20 minutes with their cars, and even clean one off for me (I know the new car being there is more a case of good timing, but still).

So, if any of the Drogheda lads are reading this (I'm sure they know who the ComPol Sgt. is) it's much appreciated that you gave up your time and a sincere thank you to the Community Gardai today, and to the other two lads who came out to us for a few shots of both cars.

Just don't leave it so long next time.. :mad: be an awful shame if anything happened to those cars.. say you're going down a hill and the brakes suddenly don't work.. ;)

(joking, of course! :pac: Haha. :D )

Great photos , shane! Also great to here the Gardai obliged you ! Any chance of getting a few more interior ones up ?

Absolutely, Fullback, but I should be honest and say my interior photos aren't the best, as I'd no wide-angle with me. So they're only basic enough dashboard/seat shots. But I'll get them up in 5 mins. :)

• Advertisement

Great photos shane ! Cheers , really nice!

I see the PTT button is in different places in each car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

How are the i30's holding up so far ? Better or worse then the Avensis/Focus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

The dash in the unmarked car is so much nicer, just a clean simple look with 3 buttons hidden away for the sirens/blues

What's PTT out of curiousity? Push to talk? If so, is the one that's lower down not a bit of a pain in the hole and a bit of a distraction?

Also, completely unrelatedly, but when the two lads arrived in the second patrol car, I was asking if they'd like to jump in for a photo with the cars and they jokingly said no, but let me do some faceless shots (the photo of the back of the Garda beside the car).

One Garda joked that the other Garda (who's in the photo) should be proud to jump in cos he lost 5 stone recently. Now I don't know if he was just joking or whatever the case may have been, but it sounded like a genuine comment, and it really added a lot of humanity to the two chaps, I have to say.

It's a small thing, I know, and probably not something most would pick up on, but I like when little things like that are said and you get to see beyond the uniform a little bit. Small reminder that they're just everyday Joe Soaps like the rest of us at the end of the day, with their own personal struggles and problems and have their own good and bad days. :)

Yup push to talk it allows for use of radio by drive or passenger instead of using the bit with wire !

Only thing I would see wrong with the high up one is the crossing over of the lights and sirens if in a pursuit ??

Anyone know if Hyundais have siren change fitted to their horn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Is my memory failing me or did some of the avensis have ptt on the wheel?

source wrote: »

Yup you are dead right worst place ever to have it.

source wrote: »

Yup, in the Mode button. Actually handy as you can keep both hands on the wheel while using it.

Yup, in the Mode button. Actually handy as you can keep both hands on the wheel while using it.

It's very hard to use in emergency situation when you need to turn the wheel you can never keep it pressed ! Very very bad place to have it, that's why they've stopped putting it there !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Anyone know if Hyundais have siren change fitted to their horn ?

No that feature is not fitted to work with the horn on the marked i30s. It is on the unmarked ones though

• Advertisement

It's very hard to use in emergency situation when you need to turn the wheel you can never keep it pressed ! Very very bad place to have it, that's why they've stopped putting it there !

In an emergency situation turning the wheel I wouldn't be taking one hand off reaching for the stalk or fiddling with the dash.

In an emergency situation turning the wheel I wouldn't be taking one hand off reaching for the stalk or fiddling with the dash.

I've obviously never used one of these, but are they actually press to talk, or is there a 'constant' mode? (ie, press lightly to talk, and release to stop, press hard to turn on constant). Like a kind of a 'double click' kinda situation?

Can't imagine it'd be much fun driving at high speeds with your hand halfway across the dash (unless you've a passenger to do it of course).

I've obviously never used one of these, but are they actually press to talk, or is there a 'constant' mode? (ie, press lightly to talk, and release to stop, press hard to turn on constant). Like a kind of a 'double click' kinda situation?

Can't imagine it'd be much fun driving at high speeds with your hand halfway across the dash (unless you've a passenger to do it of course).

You have to hold it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

You've to hold it down. Nine times out of ten its the observer using it though so no hassle usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

You've to hold it down. Nine times out of ten its the observer using it though so no hassle usually.

How do the traffic lads manage, usually they are alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

kub wrote: »

Are they? Any traffic car I see (DMR) is usually double crewed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Are they? Any traffic car I see (DMR) is usually double crewed

The vast majority of traffic isn't in the DMR and were almost always single crewed unless units are overlapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hooch wrote: »
    The vast majority of traffic isn't in the DMR and were almost always single crewed unless units are overlapping.

Ah I know DMR's a small part of it, just wasn't aware of the single crewing in other parts

kub wrote: »

That's easy, traffic don't take calls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Advertisement