Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade RAM/HD on Macbook Pro 2012?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I have a base model 13" Macbook Pro 2012 and since I installed Yosemite its much more sluggish. Thinking of upgrading the RAM or getting a SSD. Can only afford to do one at the moment and wondering which would be a better help? Also, I have Applecare and am wondering if I would have to pay Apple to do it for me so as not to void my warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Assuming it is the non-retina version, you can do both without invalidating the warranty. Both are really easy to do; have a look on youtube for loads of guides on how to do it.

The SSD will show an immediate speed bump on start up and on opening/closing apps. RAM will benefit your system overall when you are using apps. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

If it's the non retina model this is quite easy to do for both the HD and the ram. Although you'd need to make sure it's done right as not to damage anything that may void the warranty. Also if at some point you did need to use the warranty you'd need to put every back as it was so keep the original HD. Crucial or memoryC for good prices on both the items. There's good guides on ifixit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭glack

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a non-retina model, based on the instructions/videos I've seen, both jobs seem to be fairly easy. Think I might upgrade the ram first and splash out on a new SSD drive in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No no no.

SSD offers a FAR superior user-experience upgrade than more RAM!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No no no.

SSD offers a FAR superior user-experience upgrade than more RAM!
    Seems to be varying opinions on this!! Have spent ages googling and cant get a definitive opinion either way. Can I ask why you say SSD first? Will do both eventually but for money reasons I can only do one at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

glack wrote: »
    Seems to be varying opinions on this!! Have spent ages googling and cant get a definitive opinion either way. Can I ask why you say SSD first? Will do both eventually but for money reasons I can only do one at a time.
    Mechanical HDD is the main bottleneck in any machine, RAM caching is a sort of "fix" for its slowness.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Mechanical HDD is the main bottleneck in any machine, RAM caching is a sort of "fix" for its slowness.

Thanks! You've swayed me. Pricing SSDs as we speak.
    Anyone have a recommendation on a brand or model that works well? Have been looking at the Samsung 850 Evo on Amazon which works out at approx €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you are looking at 250GB, don't bother with the 850Evo, you can get the previous version (840 evo) on amazon for £90. An excellent alternative (I have one myself!) is the Crucial MX100 which is £79.

For a mid-2012 MBP, you don't need the absolute latest. As long as the SSD is SATA III compatible, you will be good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I'd also recommend the 840 Evo. Just replaced my 250gb Evo with 2 500gb Evo's. They are great value. :)

Just to update, I've finally gotten around to completing both upgrades a year later! I got a great deal on a Samsung 850 Evo on sale and went with Crucial ram. Installed both at the same time in the end even though I purchased at different times. The install was straightforward.

The difference in performance is amazing! Start up time has more than halved. Opening slower apps is far quicker and the I'm seeing far less of the spinning beach ball. It almost feels like a new machine.

Can't say which upgrade has had the biggest impact but I'd highly recommend doing both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Almost definitely the SSD id the biggest boost to performance. Have a look at the Activity Monitor to see how much of your Physical RAM is actually being used. Most of the time it will be less than half of that available.

I did the exact same upgrades to My 2012 MBP and the difference is night and day. Photoshop opens in seconds, bootup is less than 20 seconds !! It's like getting a new machine.

Enjoy !!

Ken

My memory used seems to fluctuate between 3.5 GB during light use and 6.5 GB when I'm using it fairly heavily so I'd say the RAM is having an impact but the SSD made such a huge difference. My machine is also so much quieter now and nowhere near as warm. Clearly not having to work as hard.

Advertisement