Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New SSD Without Cloning

• 16-01-2015 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I posted a while ago about adding a second internal SSHD in the optical bay of my MBP. However, I was never really happy with the performance. So, I'm now going to swap out my main 250gb SSD and 1TB SSHD, and replace them with twin 500gb Samsung Evo 840 SSDs. These will then be formatted into 1 logical drive using RAID 0 for performance.

The thing I need to know is, once I've formatted one of the new SSDs to Mac OS Journaled using a caddy, can it then just be installed and the OS loaded onto it after? Or, do I have to load the OS onto it before it's installed? I don't want to clone the existing SSD as I want a clean, fresh install of the OS. I have the OS installer on a USB stick. I also have all the files and folders that I want to keep backed up onto another external HDD, so I won't be losing anything that I don't want to lose.

TIA. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

RAID 0 is striping so I don't think it's possible to install to one disk, add a second then enable striping. I would imagine both drives will need to be in place then the installer started from a Flash Drive.

Have a look at this step by step, it's a few years old but most of it is still relevant I think.

This is for a Mac Mini but the principles are the same.

This concerns Yosemite and may be of use to you.

Also be aware that under Yosemite the TRIM enabler app no longer works which could mean a shortening of the life of your drives.

Please let us know how you get on.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Thanks for that... Looks to be a little more to it than first expected. I may install the OS on a partition then RAID on the larger partitions on the 2 drives.

OSI wrote: »
    Also worth noting that RAID 0 on SSDs gives no performance benefit of note, and in some use cases actually reduces performance.

I'm actually fit to pull my hair out at the moment. Im getting nothing but white screen when trying to install the new SSD. I've tried cloning and clean install. Both times not recognising the new SSD. The new drive is partitioned correctly. And the SATA cable is fine as it sees the old SSD perfectly.

All sorted now and purring like a kitten! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Just for future reference, what was the problem? You went from ready to pull the hair out to purring like a kitten :)

Manage to work out the problem, or did it just start working after removing and re-attaching cables?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I was trying not to hex it by detailing the issue! ha.

I fixed it by putting the new SSD into the Macbook and loading a full clean install onto it from a USB key. I then just put the other new SSD into the optical bay and formatted as normal.

Advertisement