Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple's new 2015 MacBook Design

Options
  • 06-01-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

I've been waiting for the new 2015 MacBook redesign and it looks like it's finally here, this was supposedly set for release in 2014 but was held up because of the delays to the new Intel Broadwell processors.
    333909.jpg

This 9to5Mac article is mainly based on the design and doesn't go into the internals or performance but it looks more like a MacBook Air replacement rather than the hybrid of the Air and Retina that was first rumoured.

I've two critics of the new design, the placement of the power button is annoying, the esc button is going to be a confusing one now. If only they had placed it to the right. The second is the number of ports, I'm fine with what Apple has done using so little connectors but one extra USB 3 Type-C port would of made life so much easier. This doesn't seem to be aimed at pro's and more towards at home users who are on the go which would explain the lack of ports.

I'd imagine it will take the Retina display, and they're mentioning Apple adding a USB hub to the accessories. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in the box to help people to bridge the gap.

Hoping for the new Broadwell processor as well as a 256 PCIe-based SSD and 8GB or RAM as standard. It looks like a nice addition to the MacBook lineup, after seeing the full details I might even be tempted to upgrade, hopefully it will be around the €1,000 mark but I'm doubtful.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The lack of a physically clicking trackpad is not good. It looks a but ugly in those top views, ill proportioned, tho I was never a huge fan of the Air.
    At least the screen bezels are smaller.

The removal of at least a single full sized USB port is a bit daft too, who's going to want to carry about an adapter when you go to a conference?
    That power button is going to cause all sort of Esc muscle memory pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

5uspect wrote: »
    The lack of a physically clicking trackpad is not good. It looks a but ugly in those top views, ill proportioned, tho I was never a huge fan of the Air.
    At least the screen bezels are smaller.

The removal of at least a single full sized USB port is a bit daft too, who's going to want to carry about an adapter when you go to a conference?
    That power button is going to cause all sort of Esc muscle memory pain.

In what way is removing the click a bad thing? Less moving parts to break, I never use it too much anyway. I don't think it looks that bad at all, and these are just renders based on what they've been told, the real thing will look a lot better.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

DubDJ wrote: »
    In what way is removing the click a bad thing? Less moving parts to break, I never use it too much anyway. I don't think it looks that bad at all, and these are just renders based on what they've been told, the real thing will look a lot better.

Zero tactile feedback. Doesn't sound bad until you have to actually experience it (had a failed touchpad on a macbook air that didn't left click) - very difficult to register whether you've clicked on something or not.

My bigger concern is the use of the USB-C port as a charging port?! That's going to get interesting if you want to charge your computer and use anything at the same time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pinch of salt.

I've no doubt 9to5Mac have reliable sources, but this article doesn't make sense. He doesn't even mention if it will have a Retina screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Calling shenanigans on some/most of this. Why would they get rid of MagSafe? That's a major selling point for me for mac laptops.

Only one connector? So for me as a iOS developer, for me to build to an iOS decice, I've to run off the battery of the laptop?

Also USB Type C? After spending millions on thunderbolt and lightning type connectors.

Sure Apple is most likely prototyping this but what I've said above makes me think most of it is just that, a prototype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you read the article, it is only an artist's rendering of what they think the 12" MBA would look like. It is based on leaked parts I assume. However they are using the current MBA template and projecting it onto the new machine and it is unlikely to look exactly like the pics.

Therefore expressing unhappiness at the design is simply daft.

What is of more substance is the type of ports to be included on the new machine if the leaked parts are to be believed however there is no way that there will be just one port unless their are a heap of adapters in the box which is also not Apple's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Always take everything with a pinch of salt but 9to5Mac have a really good track record with these kind of stories. This new design has been rumoured for a while too, it does mention a higher resolution display in the first paragraph which is more than likely a a Retina display, they probably didn't want to be so certain to circumvent any changes that could happen. A 12" Retina wouldn't be too hard to achieve.

The thing is the lack of ports means it will probably come with an adapter. I'd imagine most people only charge their MacBook and use one USB port for external storage. Others might use an external display too. The new USB standard can do all this with one port, it just requires some type of hub.

I do think an extra USB port or an added HDMI would make a lot more sense but it wouldn't be going too far for Apple to drop to just one port.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've seen some rumours that Apple are considering a laptop with an ARM chip instead of Intel, too.

Can't remember if it's linked to the 12" Air rumours though.

Either way, this machine isn't for me.
    *edit*
    Rumour source: 9to5mac
    Apple may launch Mac products that use own AP [Application Processor] in next 1-2 years. This prediction is based on the assumption that Apple’s self-developed AP performs at a level between Intel’s Atom and Core i3 and is good enough for Mac. Using self developed AP can help Apple better control the timing of Mac launches and Mac product features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

It will be interesting to see if they run with the rumoured USB type-c ports on this new air. Honestly I'm not a fan of the air so for me, I'm most interested in what they do with the Macbook Pro.

Advertisement