Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrome to Safari Workaround?

• 15-01-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Making the switch over to Safari for the sake of my battery. It's literally doubled in available time so it has.

There's a few things I don't like about Safari, so I was wondering is there a workaround.

The main gripe I have is pinned tabs, which I know there's nothing that can be done.

However, one other thing that I'm finding hard to get used to is when you download an file.

For example, in chrome (see attached pic), when you download an file it stays visible at the bottom of the screen, which makes it easy to drag n drop for example.

However, in Safari - it goes straight into the download folder(which is fine), but I've to click into the finder and then click downloads in order to access it.

Is there any way that I can have it set up like in Chrome, or is that just not possible with Safari?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

downloads folder by default are usually beside the trash can on the right hand side click on that you can drag it when it pops up so to speak.

dont think its possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't think its an option. Safari has extensions but I couldn't find anything that does that. Instead, if you click on the little download icon it'll show all your recent downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Why didn't you try and solve the problem you had with Chrome before jumping ship so easily? One quick example which may be of benefit to you is The Great Suspender. There are other similar extensions available for Chrome which could reduce your battery drain.

Alternatively why not try Firefox? It is a lot more extensible than both Chrome and Safari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why didn't you try and solve the problem you had with Chrome before jumping ship so easily? One quick example which may be of benefit to you is The Great Suspender. There are other similar extensions available for Chrome which could reduce your battery drain.

Alternatively why not try Firefox? It is a lot more extensible than both Chrome and Safari.

Hey,

I didn't know there was a "cure" for the chrome battery drain issue?

I'll gladly try alternatives though. Where should I look to reducing the chrome battery issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I didn't know there was a "cure" for the chrome battery drain issue?
    If it was really as bad on battery as you say how is it then the most popular browser?
    I'll gladly try alternatives though. Where should I look to reducing the chrome battery issue?
    Google. Most of the time heavy battery drain as you've mentioned appears to be due to an installed plugin. The worst drain I experience is when playing flash. Does 1 of your, always open, tabs play flash in the background or something else which would cause large drain? Are any of the Chrome Helper's in Activity Monitor using a significant amount of CPU/GPU time?

There are loads of things you can look into.

Chrome does use battery in idle, its very small and can be made smaller by suspending pages from reloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

For example, in chrome (see attached pic), when you download an file it stays visible at the bottom of the screen, which makes it easy to drag n drop for example.

You can drag and drop from the download window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Also downloads in the list have a magnifying glass beside them which will take you to the files location.

Personally I don't get the fascination with Chrome, I've tried it and just didn't like it. Firefox was just awful !

Safari works fine for me and the Develop menu allows me to change the User Agent which gets around any problematic websites which are few and far between.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Also downloads in the list have a magnifying glass beside them which will take you to the files location.

Personally I don't get the fascination with Chrome, I've tried it and just didn't like it. Firefox was just awful !

Safari works fine for me and the Develop menu allows me to change the User Agent which gets around any problematic websites which are few and far between.

Ken

I don't see any magnifying glass when I click into the downloads folder (next to the trash can in the dock)? I've the downloads folder set up in the list format too. I have no option, but to just click and open a file in there.

When you download a file with Safari a new icon appears on the top right corner of the Safari window. It's a down pointing arrow.
    Click this and a list of all downloaded files is shown. To the right of each file is a magnifying glass icon.

downloading.png

Once the download is complete you can drag it from the list to where ever you want.

Ken

When you download a file with Safari a new icon appears on the top right corner of the Safari window. It's a down pointing arrow.
    Click this and a list of all downloaded files is shown. To the right of each file is a magnifying glass icon.

downloading.png

Once the download is complete you can drag it from the list to where ever you want.

Ken

Ahhhh! Yes, I see it now. Thanks for that Ken. That will come in handy :)

Any idea why the gmail tabs in safari don't update correctly with the number of unread messages? For example, one gmail tab shows 8 unread messages, but there's actually zero unread messages in the folder.

It doesn't seem to change at all in fact.

• Advertisement

Any idea why the gmail tabs in safari don't update correctly with the number of unread messages? For example, one gmail tab shows 8 unread messages, but there's actually zero unread messages in the folder.

It doesn't seem to change at all in fact.

You could try this workaround ?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2727813

Ken

You could try this workaround ?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2727813

Ken

I tried this and I can only get it to work on 1 of my 4 gmails accounts. The one it works on is a normal gmail while the other 4 are google app accounts. Would that have something to do with it do you know?

Thanks for the help.

I tried this and I can only get it to work on 1 of my 4 gmails accounts. The one it works on is a normal gmail while the other 4 are google app accounts. Would that have something to do with it do you know?

Thanks for the help.

Actually none of them work now unfortunately.

Any ideas guys on how to get the unreal email counter working for gmail tabs?

Seems weird that they don't work.

Afraid I can't help you on this one. I use the Mail App rather than webmail as I have my own domain with several email addresses along with addresses from hotmail and Google.

Just trying the Gmail webmail here at the moment and the number of mails in the Inbox appear to be showing correctly for me. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.1 with Safari 8.0.2 if that makes any difference. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day to see if the numbers remain accurate.

Ken

Afraid I can't help you on this one. I use the Mail App rather than webmail as I have my own domain with several email addresses along with addresses from hotmail and Google.

Just trying the Gmail webmail here at the moment and the number of mails in the Inbox appear to be showing correctly for me. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.1 with Safari 8.0.2 if that makes any difference. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day to see if the numbers remain accurate.

Ken

I'm on the same specs too. The tab counters don't change at all, which is annoying as I've to keep checking in the various email accounts for new emails.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm on the same specs too. The tab counters don't change at all, which is annoying as I've to keep checking in the various email accounts for new emails.

Thanks.

Gmail should present you with an option of turning on notifications (it did in mine), which would mean you receive a system notification when a new mail arrives. Maybe try that.

Advertisement