Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading OSX

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm running 10.10 on a mid 2011 iMac, given I only currently have 4GB ram it was a mistake upgrading. I do plan on upgrading ram but not for a few months yet.

So question is whats the easiest way of me downgrading to 10.9 where i won't loose data?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Assuming you don't have a Time Machine backup of your old Mavericks installation, you'll need to back everything up, wipe the drive, install 10.9 (you'll need to download it from the App Store and create a boot drive first) and transfer your data over.

Are you running very memory intensive apps? Because I have 10.10 running very smoothly on two Macs with 4GB of RAM. One of them is a mid-2009 MBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Also worth doing a fresh install of 10.10 because it runs grand on my '08 MBP, also running 4gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Cabaal wrote: »
    So I'm running 10.10 on a mid 2011 iMac, given I only currently have 4GB ram it was a mistake upgrading. I do plan on upgrading ram but not for a few months yet.

So question is whats the easiest way of me downgrading to 10.9 where i won't loose data?

You'll need to do a back up as Sad Prof says, then you need to boot to Internet Recovery (boot holding Cmd+Alt+R).. erase the HDD in Disk Utility then click "Reinstall OS X".

The OS it installs will be the earliest one you installed that was made available for download e.g if you installed Mountain Lion (10.8), then that's what you'll get. From there you can open the App Store and download and install Mavericks from your Purchases.

Advertisement