Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 iMac, is it worth the effort?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

See images below. Looks like the hard-drive may be gone on this Mac, but not sure if it's worth my while to fix it? Been looking at similar ones for sale online and seems like they're going for around €150-€170, in working order. I would like to get something for it, as it's perfect otherwise.

20150106_184454.jpg

20150106_184641.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

9 years old... I'd leave it tbh. It depends on how easy the hard drive is to replace. If you could pick up a cheap drive it might be worth doing something with but a machine of that age I'd probably just donate it to charity or someting. I'm not even sure a charity would take it either given that things have moved on so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Have a look at the guides on
    https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

to gauge for yourself.

It's finnicky on the old iMacs, requiring care and patience. Or the Galmac people should be able to offer a fix price.

At that age, I wouldn't be buying a 2006 imac from ebay as the hard drive and other parts becomes exponentially more likely to fail.

Advertisement