Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy Antistatic wrist band sound Naas?

• 18-12-2014 4:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I would much rather order one online for €4 but I probably would not receive it before Christmas. I know Maplins in Jervis Street sell them but if I can save myself that trip I rather would.

Do any of you know anywhere around Naas that sell them? PC World do not.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Maybe this place? http://www.amonelectronics.com/site/ or maybe Wescos electrical - not sure they would have them since its electrical not electronics but worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They're not essential when building. Obviously having is better than not, but I haven't used one in years and I've never had a problem. A handy one I use sometimes is to stick a paperclip in the earth contact of a socket (and only the earth contact!) and just give it a poke every now and then. Does the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Axwell wrote: »
    Maybe this place? http://www.amonelectronics.com/site/ or maybe Wescos electrical - not sure they would have them since its electrical not electronics but worth a shot.

Thanks but I just called AMON and they do not sell them. Nobody answering at Wescos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Might be worth trying PC world?There are also 3 or 4 computer repair shops in Newbridge that will probably stock them,2 of them are on Cutlery Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Serephucus wrote: »
    They're not essential when building. Obviously having is better than not, but I haven't used one in years and I've never had a problem. A handy one I use sometimes is to stick a paperclip in the earth contact of a socket (and only the earth contact!) and just give it a poke every now and then. Does the same thing.

For a much less lethal time, touch the screws that are holding the plate to the wall. they should be earthed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

i have one lying around if you want it im based in monasterevin if your stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Touch a radiator every now and then. Heck, I have a sofa that builds up static in me in a minute or two which I discharge turning off my HTPC with a crack nearly everytime I turn off and head to bed and I've never actually damaged anything. Danger overblown. Just touch a radiator before you pick up each of the main components in the build. ie. Mobo, Ram, Cpu, SSD/HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I've never bothered with one, although I would be aware of the dangers of static. Get rid of the woolly jumper before you start and grab the copper pipe on the nearest rad. When working on your computer roll up your sleeves and keep a wrist on an elbow on the chassis - exact same effect as wearing a strap. Now if I was building a machine with someone else's components I might use the strap.
    YOu won't get one in pc world. They don't even sell thermal compound anymore. If you're under pressure for one I can drop one to you on my way past Naas on Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Install the PSU into the case first then plug it into the wall with the power off. It's earthed and safe to work away on your build. No need for an Antistatic wrist band.

Serephucus wrote: »
    For a much less lethal time, touch the screws that are holding the plate to the wall. they should be earthed too.
    Calibos wrote: »
    Touch a radiator every now and then. Heck, I have a sofa that builds up static in me in a minute or two which I discharge turning off my HTPC with a crack nearly everytime I turn off and head to bed and I've never actually damaged anything. Danger overblown. Just touch a radiator before you pick up each of the main components in the build. ie. Mobo, Ram, Cpu, SSD/HDD.

Not essential no, and I am aware there is only a very small chance of causing damager. I have read about many of the alternatives like touching a non painted part of a radiator before components etc, but as you have said yourself, better having than not. I spent what I consider a lot of money all of the components so I would rather be safe than sorry. I have read that damage that can be done by static may not be apparent immediately, the computer could still boot and run perfectly but static could cause a problem that will not arise until further down the line.
    Recoil12 wrote: »
    Might be worth trying PC world?There are also 3 or 4 computer repair shops in Newbridge that will probably stock them,2 of them are on Cutlery Road.

Thanks, PC World were my first phone call but they explained they mainly sell fully built computers, rather than components and things to assist in building.

I spoke to Elara and they advised orders placed before 15:00 tomorrow can be collected next week in Park West.
    If you're under pressure for one I can drop one to you on my way past Naas on Saturday afternoon.
    fergus1001 wrote: »
    i have one lying around if you want it im based in monasterevin if your stuck

Thanks, that is very decent of both of you and I really appreciate that but I am collecting one early next week.
    Install the PSU into the case first then plug it into the wall with the power off. It's earthed and safe to work away on your build. No need for an Antistatic wrist band.

Yes, I read about that too and that is how I plan to proceed but I would rather use the band to earth myself directly also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Touch the back of the case every time you about to handle the Mobo/Ram/Cpu/GPu.

Have never owned a static band and built a lot of pcs. the back of the pc will discharge any static you have built up.

I would rather have consistently the same charge in my body as the case has.

For those that do use straps, what do you think of connecting the PSU to the mains power, making and making sure the power is off, and leaving the cable connected while building to earth the case.

It was put to me yesterday the antistatic wrist strap will make sure my body has the same charge as the case, which is better than having opposing charges, but at the same time it will not make sure the charge is zero, something only earthing the case somehow will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I don't use one,i ground myself off metal before I work on computers and don't touch the parts

Advertisement