Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watercooling: Tube discolouration

• 16-12-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Took my PC out of action last night for some maintainance and some changes to the watercooling layout. However I've noticed some pretty bad discolouration on some of the tubing I've taken out. It's XSPC clear 1/2-3/4 ID/OD.
    I've been running distilled water with a few drops of biocide all along. The water when drained was crystal clear but the tubing in places, especially near some of the fittings wasnt so great.

Anyone come across this before? Looks like some sort of tube breakdown. Was wondering too if there better tubing manucfacturers out there?
    Crystal Link is an option going forward but I think I prefer the nice curves you can get with tubing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Its normal for than to happen,if its cloudy looking its plasticizer leeching from the tubing.Xspc stuff is normally bad for it.
    The best to get is Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT as it the best for not leeching.

You can get acrylic tubing now which wont cloud but its a pain to bend as needs practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Took my loop apart recently as well. Same thing (though my water came out tinged blue. Think it had something to do with the biocide, though I can't imagine three drops doing that. *shrug*

Rigid tubing is probably your best bet, as game4it suggested. It's a nightmare to work with though.

The days before watercooling when a computer could be up and running in ten minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Thanks lads, from reading elsewhere it seems that all tubing is prone to it to some degree but the XSPC stuff is one of the worst culprits.

On the subject of fans (120mm), I thinking of changing out my Corsair SP120's which are ok but not the best out there. Was considering the Noiseblocker or Noctua fans as the Gentle Typhoons no longer seem to be made? Any of you using these? The Noctua's are now available in black which looks a hell'va lot better than the old ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I find Noctuas too loud. I don't know why they spin up to 1500RPM. I have a mix of NF-F12s and GTs in my rig at the moment, and GTs are definitely the better ones.

EK recently announced Vardar fans. They're supposedly GT killers. Won't be available widely until early January as far as I know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I bought a few of these recently as i want to use pwm so i can turn some of my fans off when not gaming.
    They seem to have good static pressure like my GT's but i've yet to do any comparison tests do see what temps are like.They are quieter than the GT's thankfully (as i'm very fussy about noise) :o
    Noiseblockers are very good fans and i would have gotten some if i didn't want to try the Alpenföhn's instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Perfect opportunity to start an acrylic project! Check out Enermax TB Silence PWM or Akasa Apache Super Silent fans if you're looking for PWM fans. Also it's worth noting if you're looking at the Noiseblocker Eloops, they're not suitable for pull in a push pull set up as the blades protrude a slight bit and grind againts the rad!

Advertisement