Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC randomly loosing power

• 12-12-2014 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I setup a new system a month or 2 ago and its been fine until the last few days, the specs are in my sig.

Randomly the PC will loose all power and try to restart but it will fail. The CPU fan spins and the leds are on but the system fans don't spin and there's no output on the monitor. If I wait for 5 minutes or so it`ll boot up again. It can be fine for hours then randomly cut out.

My mobo is an asrock extreme4. I re-used my PSU, its a 700w cm silent pro moduler, its had alot use over the past 4 years, would the most likely problem be that?

I did open the pc recently before these problems began and had to reseat the power led+ - hdd led, power switch etc. I believe I put them in wrong, could the wrong pins cause a short? I double checked it tonight and now all the hd leds etc are lighting up correctly and so far it hasn't crashed again.

I guess I should just monitor for the next week or so and if it continues to happen be looking at a new PSU?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

is your power supply underpowed

try new power supply

did you overclock your cpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Readings from the psu look fine. CPU is overclocked but at a low voltage, 1.2v or so. 700w should be plenty for that system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Check your CPU temps and see if your heatsink is properly mounted. Could be auto shutting down to prevent damage?

Check your CPU temps and see if your heatsink is properly mounted. Could be auto shutting down to prevent damage?

Aye I checked both gpu and cpu temps and they're all fine. I really think I messed something up with the front panel pins the other day. They're back in properly now so time will tell

Been fine all day even during stress tests etc

Must have been the small led hd ground pins etc in wrong causing some kind of short

• Advertisement

PC wouldn't boot up properly today, it would turn on

- cpu fan spins
    - gpu fan spins
    - system fans won't spin
    - no output on monitor
    - after 2 mins or so the power cuts out

I removed the gpu and connected to the onboard graphics and now it boots flawlessy everytime. I did this as I figured the gpu (r9 290) draws alot of power and it might indicate a failing psu.

I've also tested my old gtx 460 and the system boots fine

Is there anything else that might be the culprit? Cheers guys

It's booting with my r9 290 now, its totally random. I`ll have to test another psu

anyone? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

What code is the debug led showing when you try to boot and it fails?

I had this problem recently.
    It kept getting worse and worse.
    It was the psu.
    Have you got an old one you can try?

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    What code is the debug led showing when you try to boot and it fails?

Not sure what that is, a led on the mobo?

I had this problem recently.
    It kept getting worse and worse.
    It was the psu.
    Have you got an old one you can try?

Yeah there's another one here I`ll try out. Its been fine all day and I've been stress testing non stop. The pc is on its side :confused: If it decides to turn off again I`ll try another PSU

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nuxxx wrote: »

Yeah, normally the LED shows a pattern of blinking that can indicate the problem. I think the LED codes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer though. Also listen out for the beeps:

No Post - Diagnostic codes

Verify POST beep codes
    Continues beeps or 1long 2short beeps = possible memory error
    • Try re-seating memory or test with different memory
    1long 2short or 8short beeps = possible video card problem
    • Try re-seating video card, test system with known good video card
    High/Low tone (siren sound)= CPU is overheating.
    • Verify that CPU heatsink is properly installed and power connected

Check diagnostic LED codes from D-Bracket
    Motherboards equipped with D-Bracket may provide useful diagnostic codes for common problems on the diagnostic LEDS.
    • Listing of diagnostic LED codes can be located in manual for your motherboard .

AMI Beep Code

Deep Code Description
    1 short DRAMS refresh failure
    2 short Parity circuit failure
    3 short Base 64k RAM failure
    4 short System timer failure
    5 short Process failure
    6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
    7 short Virtual mode exception error
    8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
    9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
    10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
    11 short Cache Memory error
    1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
    1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD Beep Code

Deep Code Description
    1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot intialize the video screen to display any additional information
    Any other beep(s) RAM problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

The board has a lcd that displays 2 digit codes that can help diagnose problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

My dads computer had a similar problem and it was the motherboard.
    Some of the capacitors had blown.
    Have a look around your mobo for something like this

capblown_3.jpg

Boards capacitors look fine.

Could anyone recommend a 800w-1000w psu for around 100e or less, that will have enough connectors for sli if needed in the future.

Thanks all so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Do memory test i had problems like you saw and it turned out to be one faulty memory chip test them one at a time.

I found that when the issue happened to machine i would remove components one by one until system booted. Then put them back to see if problem returned with last component taken out. When i found it to be memory i tried moving memory to different slots on its own to see if problem was still happening as you can also get faulty memory slot on board but it would not work in any of them but this was about 1 month of issues before memory chip gave up for good.

Bought a new psu and everything looks fine! If it does decide to act the bollix again I`ll test the memory. I have an old i5 and gtx 460 lying around so at least I can use that old psu for it.

Thanks all for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Bought a new psu and everything looks fine! If it does decide to act the bollix again I`ll test the memory. I have an old i5 and gtx 460 lying around so at least I can use that old psu for it.

Thanks all for the help

it is probably most likely that there is a dry joint on power supply. it used to be a big thing with them years ago, but not so much these days.

Advertisement