Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should i upgrade?

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys ,im considering putting a few quid into my gaming rig and thought id seek advice in here.

Currently running an IPS monitor @ 1920X1200.
    While i can play everything close to max settings at this res once i turn off aa and achieve 60+ fps im thinking i could do with changing the gfx card? Im hearing the gtx 970 is great?
    Also my thinking is the 2500k is good to go for a while yet, am i correct?
    How about the PSU if i go with a GTX 970?

Current spec is

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Black Mid Tower Case

600W Corsair CMPSU-600CX Builder Series 80% Eff'

Asus P8P67 Rev3 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s SATA RAID ATX

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked running @ 4.3ghz and cooled by Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus 4 Heat Pipes with 120mm Quiet Fan

8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600mhz ram

500GB Crucial M4 SSD

120GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2 SSD

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA 3Gb/s 7200rpm

MSI GTX660TI Twin Frozr OC edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Well, as you may have noticed on the forums, there has been quite a lot of discussion in regard to the 970. Although it's a great card and all, the prices have changed too much for it to be as good for price/performance and even though the 970 is lower on power consumption, unless you plan to sli/crossfire in the future, I'd go with the r9 290 instead of the gtx 970.

I'd recommend something like:

https://www.hardwareversand.de/en/4096+MB/167681/Sapphire+Vapor-X+Radeon+R9+290+Tri-X+OC+mit+MANTLE+und+Gaming+Evolved+Client%2C+4GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2CDisplayPort%2C+full+retail.article

After Geizhals.de the price is: 296,86

http://www.hardwareversand.de/4096+MB/150732/Sapphire+Radeon+R9+290+Tri-X+OC+mit+MANTLE+und+Gaming+Evolved+Client%2C+4GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort%2Cfull+retail.article?pvid=4pqlw8xw4_i27hr400&ref=13

After Geizhals.de the price is: 275,40

You'd save about 80 euro buying the r9 290 Tri-X OC vs the gigabyte gtx 970 gaming g1 for example.

Your cpu should be perfectly fine too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I'd go with the XFX 290 from OcUK. £199 + free shipping on whole order with the promo code XFX290PROMO. Free Sid Meier's Civalization & AMD Gold Reward. Sell the 4 games and you get yourself a cheap 290

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys.
    I havent got round to doing anything yet mainly because ive only been playing wow which doesnt exactly need a top GPU :P
    Would it be wise to wait until into the new year at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    I havent got round to doing anything yet mainly because ive only been playing wow which doesnt exactly need a top GPU :P
    Would it be wise to wait until into the new year at this stage?

I'm in the same boat. Was tempted to upgrade, found that WoW is playing fine on my current rig, but I'm a whore for upgrading and would LOVe a smooth 60fps experience while raiding.

I have a MSI R9 270x, and I heard SO much good things about the R9 290, that its the best bang for buck card out there. Have been very tempted to give it a look.

WoW thought is fairly CPU intensive more so then GPU, so I was also "toying" with the idea of moving away from my AMD CPU to an intel I5.

Probably going to hold off to see if I land a bonus in April and maybe look at throwing some upgrades in.

I moved to a R9 270x from a relatively decent card, and noticed a MENTAL improvement. not sure on the bump I'd get from investing in a 290, but the temptation is real. (Only bought the 270x last summer though, feel a bit **** replacing it so quickly)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im running an i5 2500k @ 4,3 ghz and wow raids are 100 fps + so yeah i tend to agree with you about CPU more than GPU in wow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement