Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges protest Navan

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Is there one and when and where is it on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Hope it ends at Damien English's office, he seems to have gone to ground along with his FG councillors. Me thinks FG will take a real hiding in the general election come what may.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

ENGLISH and HOLLOWAY normally have alot to say..both very mute..Holloway didnt want the property tax cut, and when FG lose next election, it wont make any difference to English, he will be too busy counting his pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Is there anywhere that has the names of who voted for/against the reduction in LPT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The Ratoath protest I attended

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that has the names of who voted for/against the reduction in LPT?

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Meetings/MeathCountyCouncilMeetings/MeathCountyCouncilMeetings2014/

Look at the special finance minutes meeting September,2014 for the list of names.
    Bad form by those councillors to vote for a tax that provides nothing in return, we still have to cut the grass on the open spaces

Fiskar wrote: »
    http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Meetings/MeathCountyCouncilMeetings/MeathCountyCouncilMeetings2014/

Look at the special finance minutes meeting September,2014 for the list of names.
    Bad form by those councillors to vote for a tax that provides nothing in return, we still have to cut the grass on the open spaces

Thanks for that but is there anywhere that shows who voted for or against the change or was it a secret ballot?

Within the minutes is this information of who voted against the reduction. Unfortunately Meath County Council don't put page numbers on their minutes but it is on page 4 and 5.

The proposed amendment to retain the basic rate of the Local Property Tax was carried following a roll call vote:
    Look at the table beneath this and you will see who voted for no reduction (no change in the property tax).

For instance, it shows Mr W Forde as an independent councillor (recently elected under the banner of "Save Navan Hospital") voted to keep the rate unchanged and recently voted for the Water Charges. A touch of hypocrisy if you ask me.

Ah I looked at the wrong one, will have a look now, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Fiskar wrote: »
    Within the minutes is this information of who voted against the reduction. Unfortunately Meath County Council don't put page numbers on their minutes but it is on page 4 and 5.

The proposed amendment to retain the basic rate of the Local Property Tax was carried following a roll call vote:
    Look at the table beneath this and you will see who voted for no reduction (no change in the property tax).

For instance, it shows Mr W Forde as an independent councillor (recently elected under the banner of "Save Navan Hospital") voted to keep the rate unchanged and recently voted for the Water Charges. A touch of hypocrisy if you ask me.

Forde seems to regret that decision to support the Water Charges now....

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/10/29/4033478-navan-cllr-withdraws-support-for-fgind-power-deal/

When I was canvassed for the local elections, I asked the callers if they would support the live streaming of monthly council meetings. I would love to be able to view these meetings each month at home, Dublin City Co has such a facility for its citizens, why can't we....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone who thinks Fine Gael wont win majority in next election is in cloud cuckoo land! it will be FG /FF coalition but FF wont go in with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Damien English on prime time last night ....hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Vego wrote: »
    Damien English on prime time last night ....hilarious

I find Damien so hard to understand, sometimes I wonder is English his first language. He's in real trouble for the next election - FG vote was 10% in the Navan LEA in the last local election....

I find Damien so hard to understand, sometimes I wonder is English his first language. He's in real trouble for the next election - FG vote was 10% in the Navan LEA in the last local election....

Yeah, he was shocking, posture was all ove the place, defending the indefensible. Drinking quality water as he puts it but most of it goes in flushing toilets.

Our Cm3 charge for water is one of the most expensive in Europe and given time and like a lot of Government rhetoric we will hold top position. In my view our taxes already pay for this.

If as a minister indicated at the weekend on radio that studies show 40% of household drinking quality water is used for flushing toilets and that also equates to the 40% of water lost through leaking pipes, then why is there not an incentive scheme in place to harvest rainwater for flushing systems.

It is because they want your money, it is because they are not serious at all about saving water. It is because they want to flog it as a super quango utility company for a lot of money. Only by enshrining Irish Water in the Constitution will prevent it from being flogged to the highest bidder. Primary legislation to stop it being sold will only be circumvented by another piece of legislation to sell it. Trust no one especially this Shower!

English wont care either way about the next election, his lofty pension is safe!

I hear the deaf beast from Mayo is in town tomorrow evening at the New Grange Hotel.
    Gardai doing a dry run closing off the roads so no anti water charge protestors can get near the fecker.

Between him and the witch on saturday they are certainly racking up the travel and expenses. Gardai must be creaming the overtime and rubbing their hands before Christmas.

I wish we could have as many cops on duty in the town at the weekend as there was last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

jaysus lads u think joan burton was the immortalisation of margaret thatcher the way people refer to her as the witch. she couldnt be further from neo liberal thatcherite

I wish we could have as many cops on duty in the town at the weekend as there was last night

Were there many? I'd imagine they were drafted from surrounding areas and on overtime if there were more than usual, that's obviously not feasible in the long term

well thats what im getting at ...we need more cops in navan/meath

• Advertisement

well thats what im getting at ...we need more cops in navan/meath

We need more pretty much everywhere to be honest, hopefully with the new recruitment drive more will be assigned

Agreed

Seeing a member of the Gardai on the beat in Navan?

you have a better chance of seeing a virgin in Soho !

Some amount of overtime these FG politicians are givig the Gardai. If they believe the people are behind them let them go to the country, Their mandate under the IMF ran off Dec 2013.

"Last night, a water charges protestor had to be removed from the bonnet of the Taoiseach's car as he attended a similar meeting in Sligo, and Garda chiefs in Meath were obviously adamant that that would not happen in Navan tonight. Barricades were erected on Church Hill, Ludlow Street and Bridge Street, with traffic diversions on Market Square and Timmons Hill, as Fine Gael public representatives and members from Meath and surrounding counties waited for the Taoiseach in the hotel. Some 40 uniformed gardai – including the armed unit and the traffic corp – are on standby, as well as a number of plain clothes gardai. Members of the public seeking to attend other functions in the hotel and attend local restaurants had to make their way through the garda barricades. There is massive increase in security around cabinet members since Saturday's incident in Dublin involving Tanaiste Joan Burton. However, gardai outnumbered the 40 or so protestors chanting on Church Hill and the eight on Bridge Street as the Taoiseach arrived. His car was whisked into the underground car park at the Newgrange Hotel and he did not encounter the protestors on Church Hill, having passed through the smaller Bridge Street gathering. Among those using a loudspeaker at the protest was Workers Party member, Seamus McDonagh. "

I suppose if people didn't lob bricks, lob water balloons, make bomb threats, stop politicians going about their business, etc then there'd be no need for overtime or the extra Garda, but they do so there is

So will Navan maintain that level of Gardai for the rest of the year..or was this just a once off

chrysagon wrote: »
    So will Navan maintain that level of Gardai for the rest of the year..or was this just a once off

Will the Taoiseach be in Navan for the rest of the year? There's your answer.

Will the Taoiseach be in Navan for the rest of the year? There's your answer.

oh i know the answer, just throwing a bit of sarcasm:D

chrysagon wrote: »
    oh i know the answer, just throwing a bit of sarcasm:D

Sorry, I'm on high alert, not much sarcasm in the water threads on boards :D

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm on high alert, not much sarcasm in the water threads on boards :D[/QUOTE

folk wishy washy splish splashy with their views..

i still think we should be connected to a constant supply of Red Bull as well...

Advertisement