Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reduce Thermostat in Apartment? Help needed.

Options
  • 12-12-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello,

I live in a shared-apartment in Dublin. There are three people living here, and I feel the thermostat for the hot-water is set far in excess of that need. We have a boiler as opposed to an electric shower. Our last bill was through-the-roof.

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but can anyone guide me through reducing the thermostat next to the boiler? All three of us will be away over Christmas as well, which makes having the boiler on even more unnecessary.

What is an appropriate setting for three people, showering once each a day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

What Boiler/ Thermostats ?? make, model, photos ???

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

What Boiler/ Thermostats ?? make, model, photos ???

It's a Grasslin one. It looks like this, except it's not an Ecosave one:
    Grasslin-ecosave-400.jpg

This is the best photograph I could take:
    232401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

On my boiler the only way of actually reducing temperature of water been heated is to remove cover from thermostat entering boiler and turning down knob to desired temp. Very important to switch off power supply before removing cover. Would it be possible for you to have water heated on timer say coming on at 6am then intervals during the day so as you always have hot water. But its not heating constantly ....Also would it not be better to turn off immersion while no body is at home

The picture is of your control unit, the thermostat will be on the hot water storage tank, either immersion heater or cylinder stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had that same thermo in my last apartment in cabinteely. Our bills were always through the roof and there was always very little bloody hot water in the tank after 3 people. TBH the problem was most defintely with the tank being serviced. Im pretty confident that the whole system needed an overhaul (element etc) but by the time i figured that out i moved apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

On your immersion there is a Cap like thing on the top Numbered 6 in the attachment below, whats that set at?

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/plumb_immersion_heater.htm

Also you may have a strapped on Temperature sensor on the tank itself (like i do) Does anyone know what that affects? does it work in conjunction with the top stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

On your immersion there is a Cap like thing on the top Numbered 6 in the attachment below, whats that set at?

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/plumb_immersion_heater.htm

Also you may have a strapped on Temperature sensor on the tank itself (like i do) Does anyone know what that affects? does it work in conjunction with the top stat?

We don't seem to have that Cap-like thing. Here's what the boiler looks like:

232411.jpg
    232410.jpg

The 2 caps on the side, low and mid level, one black one silver, both with white cable entering, those are the immersion heaters, behind those caps you'll find stats.

Advertisement