Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini ATX build steam machine sub 500

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

I have a G3258 and a GTX980 on the way, I'll post benchmarks when they arrive (prob after Christmas at this point).

Let me know how MGS ground zeroes runs if you can, need to spend 700 for a friend but it says 4 core min and was thinking of getting him a fx6300 as the cpu but if the dual core doesn't bottle it, it might be an option, might be a good test for a multicore performance as it's meant to be very optimised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have a G3258 and a GTX980 on the way, I'll post benchmarks when they arrive (prob after Christmas at this point).

Now that's interesting. Personally I never feel the CPU is the bottleneck, sure a dual core has 4 threads. Keep us updated please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was going to get 290 crossfire, but I got an Asus 980 Strix today for €370!

I sold my 4790 as well, so between that and selling the 290 earlier, it actually gave me back money to switch to the 980 and g3258. So it really will be interesting to see how it performs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Now that's interesting. Personally I never feel the CPU is the bottleneck, sure a dual core has 4 threads. Keep us updated please.

Because it's a Pentium it doesn't have Hyperthreading, so it's actually 2 cores / 2 threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Serephucus wrote: »
    Because it's a Pentium it doesn't have Hyperthreading, so it's actually 2 cores / 2 threads.

Ah ok, interesting. Will make for some interesting benchmarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I ve been offered a steal on a z77 motherboard , should i take it or just stick with a motherboard that doesn't have an overclock function for a k chip. i ll be using a i7 3770 on it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

levitronix wrote: »
    I ve been offered a steal on a z77 motherboard , should i take it or just stick with a motherboard that doesn't have an overclock function for a k chip. i ll be using a i7 3770 on it .

Define 'steal'.

30 for a gigabyte z77 -m d3h seems a good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hah, that's half the price of the H67 I recommended. I'd be picking that up if I were you!

• Advertisement

Ive changed around the build a bit, i just put these on order today since im at work, so the i7 3770 is on sale

Intel core i5-4690S
    GIGABYTE H97M-D3H

Some parts arrived today

Intel i5 4690s plus stock cpu fan
    Intel 120gb 430 series SSD
    Gigabyte H97m D3H
    WD 500gb blue 32mb cache

still a little undecided on the case and gpu
    but the bifenix phemon looks like a winner
    and im thinking about spending a little more money on the psu and going fully modular on a Corsair 650W ATX12V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

glad to see you got an SSD into the mix :)

Some parts arrived today

Gigabyte H97m D3H
    WD 500gb blue 32mb cache
    2 x 4gb ram

Evga 120-G1-0650-XR on order now,

i have a question re graphics card since i know feck all about graphics cards
    The computer will be used on a 1080p 60hz led tv , will a higher end card even deliver since my tv cant accommodate what the card can do

if this is the case i was thinking a r 270x rather than a 285

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

A 270x will be fine for TV gaming.

Some parts arrived today

Gigabyte H97m D3H
    WD 500gb blue 32mb cache
    2 x 4gb ram ballistic sport

Evga 120-G1-0650-XR psu
    Betfinix phemon
    Asus r9 270x

So spent just under 700 euro, next update will be the build

• Advertisement

Some parts arrived today

Gigabyte H97m D3H
    WD 500gb blue 32mb cache
    2 x 4gb ram ballistic sport

Evga 120-G1-0650-XR psu
    Betfinix phemon
    Asus r9 270x

So spent just under 700 euro, next update will be the build

So just put everything together and I'm stuck,
    I'm using a TV for monitor

When I power on the PC I get nothing on the screen,
    Hard drives light flash, fans go , it sounds like PC but nothing no screen, I can hear the hard drive as well , any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So just put everything together and I'm stuck,
    I'm using a TV for monitor

When I power on the PC I get nothing on the screen,
    Hard drives light flash, fans go , it sounds like PC but nothing no screen, I can hear the hard drive as well , any ideas

Do you have another cable you can try? Another monitor/tv? Have you connected the cable to the graphics card output and not the motherboard output?

Following that remove the graphics card, and try using the onboard graphics using the motherboard output to connect to the tv

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do you have another cable you can try? Another monitor/tv? Have you connected the cable to the graphics card output and not the motherboard output?

Following that remove the graphics card, and try using the onboard graphics using the motherboard output to connect to the tv

Only one tv to try on, im using hdmi cable that i know is working works on laptop
    triec the gpu hdmi out and the mobo out
    Will try take out the graphics and see if it boots,

Funny thing is my tv say says i have no connevction, its not like its black screening or anything

Only one tv to try on, im using hdmi cable that i know is working works on laptop
    triec the gpu hdmi out and the mobo out
    Will try take out the graphics and see if it boots,

Funny thing is my tv say says i have no connevction, its not like its black screening or anything

Booting now with 2nd hard drive removed and gpc out and cos reset, thanks

• Advertisement

One you've got Windows installed, update all the motherboard drivers etc, then add in the other parts one by one.

One you've got Windows installed, update all the motherboard drivers etc, then add in the other parts one by one.

I done that but I'm having trouble now with amd catalyst, saying dection driver not found, gpu works but can't any of the amd stuff to work

Go into the Device Manager and look for yellow warning triangles.

If you open "display adapters" and right click on your video card, then select advanced properties, you can see the driver version that's loaded for the GPU.

If that doesn't match the Catalyst driver version, then you can uninstall/reinstall the drivers from there.

got it downloading thx

Advertisement