Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Navan

Options
  • 25-01-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi
    Looking for some advice here, I live in the Woodlands estate in Navan and have been using Vodafone for home phone and broadband package for a couple of years now, and being perfectly honest, the service has been sub standard. Paying for an "up to 8mb" package but never really got above speeds of 2mb. Have been looking at alternatives recently, not interested in going with Eircom, and UPC have told me they cant provide their broadband package to my address. What other ISP's are people in the town using? Not too concerned if I have to drop the home phone service as I rarely use it anyway.

Magnet and Smart Telecom have been mentioned to me, anyone any experience of these providers?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Had Irish Broadband, it was terrible.
    Got rid of that and got WiMAX and its still terrible.
    Exat same problem as you, paying for 7-8mb broadband connection and only getting a quater or the speed they offer.
    Seems to be the same across the board.
    It does me for now as I just use it for Xbox live and browsing but I'll see what others say here first.
    I'm in Johnstown as well by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have vodafone phone and broadband and am achieving 6-7mb download speed in Johnstown.

OP did you try UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking for some advice here, I live in the Woodlands estate in Navan and have been using Vodafone for home phone and broadband package for a couple of years now, and being perfectly honest, the service has been sub standard. Paying for an "up to 8mb" package but never really got above speeds of 2mb. Have been looking at alternatives recently, not interested in going with Eircom, and UPC have told me they cant provide their broadband package to my address. What other ISP's are people in the town using? Not too concerned if I have to drop the home phone service as I rarely use it anyway.

Magnet and Smart Telecom have been mentioned to me, anyone any experience of these providers?

Thanks

Hi tomjohn01, when UPC said the service was not avaliable in your area, what did they say exactly, as they told me it was not avaliable where I was in Clonmagadden but I went on to their website and put my address in and it showed I could get it and went back to them and turned out it was avaliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have Digiweb here, works ok for what I need, seems fast enough but I'm not exactly heavy on it, never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tomjohn01

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Hi tomjohn01, when UPC said the service was not avaliable in your area, what did they say exactly, as they told me it was not avaliable where I was in Clonmagadden but I went on to their website and put my address in and it showed I could get it and went back to them and turned out it was avaliable.

There is a problem with UPC in general for a few houses on my side of the road in the estate. I had their tv service a few years back and tried to upgrade to the DVR box, but because one of the neighbors made a complaint to chorus/upc a few years before hand about disruptions when they were upgrading the line in the area, the upgrade was never done on our side of the road, meaning we couldn't get any of the newer services. Must be the same problem for the broadband service also.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Have Digiweb here, works ok for what I need, seems fast enough but I'm not exactly heavy on it, never had a problem with them.

What area of the town are you in?

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    What area of the town are you in?

Troytown hts, on the Proudstown road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

On Eircom up to 8Mb package and safetly say if it gets to 4.7mb I'm lucky. Then again with 2 to 3 laptops going there is not a problem. However if you are getting just 2mb then the slighest dip will affect performance.

They all promise the highest but suffix it with a proviso, "up to" and that depends on your areas coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Looking at the o2 broadband coverage map there (http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband/Coverage+checker/), Woodlands seems to be in an area with strong coverage, could be an option?

- bo - wrote: »
    Looking at the o2 broadband coverage map there (http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband/Coverage+checker/), Woodlands seems to be in an area with strong coverage, could be an option?

Thanks - bo -, not really interested in mobile broadband though.

I have gone with Magnet in the end, they offered no contention up to 24mb, one year contract, it surely cant be worse than whatI have already so I will post an update in a few weeks when it is up and running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have also being using the digiweb metro server for the past 5/6 years we have a very reliable 8mb dn 1mg up connection and also have our old landline number touted through it. And as it’s a wireless server we were able to cut our landline.

I find the service very good for streaming, working, remote desktop connections, voip, and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Moving to Johnstown shortly, bringing my 8Mb vodafone broadband with me(stuck on the contract), what actual speed can I expect to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm in johnstown and on Vodafone getting anything between 6-7mb download

• Registered Users Posts: 29 daukey34

Anyone know any gud broadband for Blackcastle Lodge , Navan

Digiweb

Advertisement