Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked fire back. Any danger?

• 12-12-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for it. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

I just noticed last night that the insert in our fireplace has a crack at the side of it. It's a normal coal/solid fuel fireplace and the insert hasn't distorted or shifted at all. Just that it has a crack in it. The house is about six years old and we've only started using the fire in the last two years, lighting it a couple of times a week in the winter evenings.

If it's relevant, we light it with a fire log, then throw a briquette or two on and some coal or anthracite and maybe add a log or a bit of turf when the coals are red and the flames have died down. It is very rarely what I would call a roaring fire.

Does it pose any risk? Does it need to be replaced with any urgency?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You burn anthracite on an open fire???
    I'm surprised you can keep it lit without a draught control ...
    Anyway that could be your problem....coal like that burns very hot.
    Moderns materiels arnt as good anymore...I'm surprised you havntvurbt through your grate first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Sorry, it's that Black Diamond stuff. Looks more like anthracite nuggets than the old dirty coal I remember from my childhood. (Not that I spent my childhood down the mines, I mean what was burnt in my parents' house!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

milltown wrote: »
    Sorry, it's that Black Diamond stuff. Looks more like anthracite nuggets than the old dirty coal I remember from my childhood. (Not that I spent my childhood down the mines, I mean what was burnt in my parents' house!).
    Haha
    Can you take a pic of the fire back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeah, will try get a photo up tomorrow.

Advertisement