Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu choice

Options
  • 27-08-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just a quick one.

Starting to think about the menu choice for wedding in December.

We are probably going to go for a beef option and a fish option. I would be a bit of a foody, and want that end of it to be as good as possible. There's the option of either a roast sirloin or roast prime rib. I know the prime rib is a tastier cut of meat, but is it too risky given many Irish people's aversion to any fat or pink in their meat?

The venue we are going to have a good reputation for food so I'd be pretty confident they would do a good job, I just don't want 20% of the guest unhappy about the meal? While at the same time trying to have as nice a meal as possible for the rest of the less fussy guests.

We are already considering having a duck starter (not intending to give a choice here, but that might change) , because if I see another chicken and mushroom vol-au-vent or chicken caesar salad on a wedding menu I might just lose the plot.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Just a quick one.

Starting to think about the menu choice for wedding in December.

We are probably going to go for a beef option and a fish option. I would be a bit of a foody, and want that end of it to be as good as possible. There's the option of either a roast sirloin or roast prime rib. I know the prime rib is a tastier cut of meat, but is it too risky given many Irish people's aversion to any fat or pink in their meat?

The venue we are going to have a good reputation for food so I'd be pretty confident they would do a good job, I just don't want 20% of the guest unhappy about the meal? While at the same time trying to have as nice a meal as possible for the rest of the less fussy guests.

We are already considering having a duck starter (not intending to give a choice here, but that might change) , because if I see another chicken and mushroom vol-au-vent or chicken caesar salad on a wedding menu I might just lose the plot.

Thanks for any input.
    Firstly, it is definitely nice to be different. I too am getting sick of the C&M vol-au-vent.

You probably haven't been to the food tasting yet? Perhaps hold off until that before making a final choice.

For what it is worth, I have gone for a chicken or sirloin steak main - could be very risky - but I am taking the chance. I really wanted to go for pork belly or chicken, but was convinced to play a bit safer with one of the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You need to do the tasting session to see how they are done really.

Salad and volauvont can be great if done really well, the problem is they can be average. Limp lettuce, congealed sauce. There's massive variation in a prawn cocktail too.

A for what people will like, what are your families like? My family are all into rare meat, so I knew it would be preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

No food tasting yet, not for another couple of months.

The tasting won't help all that much though, I know that the rib will be a tastier piece of meat, that's not the issue, the issue is what percentage of guests will it turn off, and am I willing to take that risk.

The starter choice at weddings has been done to death, I know there's only so much you can do with a wedding to make it slightly unique to you, but your menu choice is definately on of those.

My family are pretty easy going and all our friends would be fine. My OH 's family, father in particular but also some uncles, are very old fashioned about food. Her father in not worried about, as he's on the top table, I'm sure we could arrange something different for him, but some of the aunties and uncles could be a problem.

Just trying to weigh up, the enjoyment of many people with the annoyance of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Are you sure about the duck? I personally love duck and would be delighted with a duck starter, but not everyone would agree.

If you go with the duck and rib (again I would love that!) you might find a couple of "hangry" guests at the end of the night.

If you are going with something different in one of the courses, I would stick to something more traditional for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

What about the fillet of beef. We had slow roast irish fillet of beef and everyone commented on how delicious it was.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about the duck? I personally love duck and would be delighted with a duck starter, but not everyone would agree.

If you go with the duck and rib (again I would love that!) you might find a couple of "hangry" guests at the end of the night.

If you are going with something different in one of the courses, I would stick to something more traditional for the other.

I think your right, I will probably have to pay a bit extra and offer a choice on the starter maybe... Still won't be vol-au-vonts though!!

Blingy wrote: »
    What about the fillet of beef. We had slow roast irish fillet of beef and everyone commented on how delicious it was.

We had considered fillet steak, but along with a fairly hefty sur charge, the hotel will only cook the fillet one way, which again will run into problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I would go for the rib - it's still beef so not that challenging and people can eat around the gristle. No matter what you do someone will be able to complain about something so why not consider the majority of people who are not grumpy fussy eaters and provide them with so etching delicious rather than cater to the minority with more mediocre food that you are not excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

I'd go for the rib too because those who like it well done can have the outer slices and those who like more pink can have the slices in the middle. Also loads of gravy and spuds will keep the plain eaters happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Beef is hard to get right for big groups,, everyone likes it cooked differently.. also it's not the best meat to leave out for 5 mins after cooking as it still cooks while sitting there..

I've decided to go big on really nice canapes and decent late night grub as I feel the wedding meal can be pot luck in a way,, from the last few weddings (some uber posh, some small budget) its a tough choice..

I like my food too but am sticking to hopefully what I think is easy for the kitchen to prepare right.. maybe Im over thinking the whole thing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

superman28 I think you're right. People always remember a few things from a wedding, The Wedding Dress and bridesmaids dresses, Food and a good band/DJ.

Weddings are expensive and make sure you get value for your money.

nosietoes wrote: »
    I would go for the rib - it's still beef so not that challenging and people can eat around the gristle. No matter what you do someone will be able to complain about something so why not consider the majority of people who are not grumpy fussy eaters and provide them with so etching delicious rather than cater to the minority with more mediocre food that you are not excited about.

This is exactly my feelings on the food, I suppose I think that that might be a selfish way of thinking. But I reckon that's what I will do tbh

superman28 wrote: »
    Beef is hard to get right for big groups,, everyone likes it cooked differently.. also it's not the best meat to leave out for 5 mins after cooking as it still cooks while sitting there..

I've decided to go big on really nice canapes and decent late night grub as I feel the wedding meal can be pot luck in a way,, from the last few weddings (some uber posh, some small budget) its a tough choice..

I like my food too but am sticking to hopefully what I think is easy for the kitchen to prepare right.. maybe Im over thinking the whole thing..

I agree, the food is going to play a big part of our day, but as I said, I'm into my did so maybe it's not as important to other people.

We are going to have plenty of nice canapés at the reception and having mini burgers/fish and chips/pulled pork for the evening food so it should all go down well.

I can't imagine roast joint of beef should be that hard to do for numbers, once the beef is rested and sliced, it's not going to keep cooking. If they can't get that right, I don't know how they would manage fish?

Anyway, thank for all the help and putting my mind at rest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would defo go Rib rather than sirloin. It would be easier to get the sirloin overcooked that the rib..

As for the fatty thing think ribs are ok would be more worried about the duck being fatty..

I know you hate vol vonts but some people do love them and would not touch duck so maybe it would be good to have something save like this on the menu as you say to keep all happy..

Great selection of canapés sounds yummie, im hungry and I have just eaten lunch.

One thing I would say after going to two weddings recently is make sure there are lots of canapés a(not cakes still not getting that) and that they are passed out to everyone or a plate left at each table or something. And that the main food is served quickly, don't keep guest waiting after a long day already..

Went to two recently and the canapés I saw two trays but only because I was at the front of the room, relatives down the back never got any. The drinks station was set up directly inside the main door so everyone gathered there blocking the entrance to everything.. Then both meals were ages coming out between speeches and delays..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We've specifically chosen a venue known for its food, so we were never going to go down the traditional beef or salmon route. Our starter is definitely adventurous and if the guests don't like it, well that's unfortunate. But I'm not going to 'dumb down' my menu because a few guests might have very basic palates, and have the majority of the guests disappointed by the food.

Choose whichever one YOU'D prefer. It's your wedding, you're (hopefully) never going to get to choose your wedding menu again. Wouldn't it be awful to eat something on the day and think 'I wish we hadn't chosen this'?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Faith wrote: »
    We've specifically chosen a venue known for its food, so we were never going to go down the traditional beef or salmon route. Our starter is definitely adventurous and if the guests don't like it, well that's unfortunate. But I'm not going to 'dumb down' my menu because a few guests might have very basic palates, and have the majority of the guests disappointed by the food.

Choose whichever one YOU'D prefer. It's your wedding, you're (hopefully) never going to get to choose your wedding menu again. Wouldn't it be awful to eat something on the day and think 'I wish we hadn't chosen this'?

Am I the only one dying to know what Faith's starter is??? :D

OP, I'd agree with what seems to be the majority here - you'll never please everyone, so please yourself and have the menu YOU want.

Haha!! Ah jes that sounds a bit harsh Faith, tisnt dumbing down the menu it is just keeping the majority and yerselfs happy... Like going to dinner normally best to have a selection to suit all needs that just one

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Am I the only one dying to know what Faith's starter is??? :D

OP, I'd agree with what seems to be the majority here - you'll never please everyone, so please yourself and have the menu YOU want.

:D

It involves confit duck, mushrooms and foie gras. It's to die for, honestly, but it might frighten a few people when they see it on the menu!

/edit: milly, I'm really not trying to be harsh. I just don't believe in going for the 'safest' option if you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

1 word..... Lamb

Had it (as well as beef and salmon) at the wedding, went down a treat. We did have silver service so if you wanted a slice of both meets the option was available.

Thanks all,

I was in the mindset to go with what we wanted anyway, I was just looking for info on what other people's opinions would be, most people seem to be in agreement so that's good.

Besides, I don't feel at all risky now compared to Faith.... Fair play on the bold decision on foie gras... I think my future father in law's jaw would hit the floor!!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, my dad already said he won't eat foie gras but I told him he could just eat around it :D. It's our wedding, our menu. It reflects us as much as it can. Everyone who knows me knows I'm into food and it's a huge passion of mine, so I'm sure people will know to expect a slightly different menu.

And in any case, there's loads of other food at a wedding! If they don't like the starter at yours, they can eat the bread. If they don't like the beef, let them order the fish, or just eat the potatoes and vegetables. Then there's dessert. They've already had canapés (I think you said) and there's cake and evening food still to come. Nobody will die of hunger if they choose not to eat one element of the meal.

Faith wrote: »
    Ah yeah, my dad already said he won't eat foie gras but I told him he could just eat around it :D. It's our wedding, our menu. It reflects us as much as it can. Everyone who knows me knows I'm into food and it's a huge passion of mine, so I'm sure people will know to expect a slightly different menu.

And in any case, there's loads of other food at a wedding! If they don't like the starter at yours, they can eat the bread. If they don't like the beef, let them order the fish, or just eat the potatoes and vegetables. Then there's dessert. They've already had canapés (I think you said) and there's cake and evening food still to come. Nobody will die of hunger if they choose not to eat one element of the meal.

Oh I think you are absolutely right, I admire your bravery.

I would be into my food as well, wouldn't say it was a passion, so I never wanted a bog standard meal. The venue we have offer what I thought was a pretty wide range of choice... But nothing on your scale by the sounds of that starter!!

There will be plenty of food, canapés etc on arrival, it's a four course dinner so a soup as well and no shortage of hot evening food either, so you're right. Please the many rather than the few!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

Menu tasting in 8 weeks!!! I'm starving!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

We're going for lamb and fish of the day (most likely hake at this stage), and when we told the MIL we were going for lamb, she nearly had a fit. Claiming most people won't like lamb, it's too controversial, even that it is not the right time of year for it (the fact that my family are sheep farmers and would know more about this sort of thing meant nothing). But we went for it anyway, as it was by far the tastiest meat dish at our tasting.

As we asked guests for their food choice in the RSVPs, we know that 60% have chosen lamb....so I wouldn't worry too much about being controversial. People will row in.

That said we have had to offer a silent chicken dish for 6 fussy people, but their loss. They'll get a boring breast of chicken, while everyone else is in for a treat.

Also, our starters won't be to everyone's liking, but we are giving enough food between canapes, sweet treats, main course, dessert, more sweet treats, crisps, afters food....that they won't starve!!

As with what everyone else has said. Go with what you prefer. If you're the conventional type who love your meat and two veg, go for that. if not, open it up and you never know, uncle Johnny and Auntie Margaret might surprise themselves and like new stuff!

Im hungry again for Beef and Fish n Chips at tis only 10

The menu tasting has been mentioned a few times, and I know I will be having mine 8 weeks previous.

What does a menu tasting generally involve? As in, how many dishes from the menu do you get to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The menu tasting has been mentioned a few times, and I know I will be having mine 8 weeks previous.

What does a menu tasting generally involve? As in, how many dishes from the menu do you get to try?

Each venue is different.

If I remember correctly I was told 3 starters (picking 1) and 4 mains (picking 2). I think also a couple of each (colour) wine and two half bowls of soup (picking 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Everywhere is different. In ours, they brought out big platters with about 15 starters, 10 mains and 8 or so desserts, and we all shared them and commented on them.
    In hotel settings, it's usually more like a traditional meal where you order a starter, main and dessert I think.

Advertisement