Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Budget

• 26-08-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Sorry I know there are loads of threads on this topic but I couldn't find the specific information I was looking so thought I'd start a new one. Just doing up a rough wedding budget here and I wanted to know how much even roughly some things will be, (I'm having traditional Catholic wedding, chapel etc.)
    How much for:

Civil Wedding Fees
    Pre Marriage Course Fees
    The priest back hander

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The priest back hander

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

You know what I mean - The envelope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

I don't know anything about civil ceremonies but the priest can range in price mine requested a 'donation' of 150 whereas a friend of mine (different county) was asked to donate 700! Pre marriage courses about 170 - 200......its starting to all add up I feel your fear I'm getting married next year so pressure is on myself and my fiance save 1000-1500 per month don't rely on weddings paying for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,787 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry I know there are loads of threads on this topic but I couldn't find the specific information I was looking so thought I'd start a new one. Just doing up a rough wedding budget here and I wanted to know how much even roughly some things will be, (I'm having traditional Catholic wedding, chapel etc.)
    How much for:

Civil Wedding Fees
    Pre Marriage Course Fees
    The priest back hander

Thanks
    €200
    €150-250 (depending on where you go etc)
    Varies wildly - dependant on a few bits and pieces, ask the priest.

Minera wrote: »
    I don't know anything about civil ceremonies but the priest can range in price mine requested a 'donation' of 150 whereas a friend of mine (different county) was asked to donate 700! Pre marriage courses about 170 - 200......its starting to all add up I feel your fear I'm getting married next year so pressure is on myself and my fiance save 1000-1500 per month don't rely on weddings paying for themselves

I'm not having civil ceremony - I'm having it in a chapel with a priest but I was thinking of how much does it cost to have the civil bit signed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I'm not having civil ceremony - I'm having it in a chapel with a priest but I was thinking of how much does it cost to have the civil bit signed off.

The registrar charged us 200 euro when we registered our intent to marry. This was just last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

All secular & religious ceremonies (so humanist & catholic) now have to be registered with the HSE is €200 to get your certificate.

Humanists will charge depending on travel/area/etc & priests I havent a clue - but at least with Humanist you dont have to pay for the pre-marriage course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Minera wrote: »

I suspect that the €700 was because your friend got married in a parish that wasn't hers or her OH's. Most parishes will require a payment from non-parishioners in the region of €500-€600.

OP, if you are getting married in your own parish then I would budget €150-€200 for the priest. Add another €500 if you are going to a different parish.

I'm getting married in her parish about 15 mile away - does that mean if I had of found a woman in my own parish it would have been cheaper!!!!

If only I'd known - LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm getting married in her parish about 15 mile away - does that mean if I had of found a woman in my own parish it would have been cheaper!!!!

If only I'd known - LOL

Well if you are getting married in her parish you're grand. It would only be if neither of you were from the parish that they'd want the extra payment for the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We got married in a church about 10 miles from our home, it wasn't either of our home parish and we did not know the priest beforehand, however he never mentioned paying for the church just because it wasn't our specific parish church, we gave him 200 euro for performing the ceremony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 KatieDot

Hi,

We got married in one of our local parish churches less than a year ago- still had to pay 150-250. Non parish fee is more than 500. Plus money for the sacristant 50. Priest was another 200 (again parish priest). Pre marriage course was 200 (they only accepted one company). Registration (Hse) was another 200.

On a small budget wedding, with music by friends and family and all the decor (inc flowers) hand made. Having a catholic ceremony cost us a huge proportion of our budget.

Really annoyed me in the pre marraige course when they argued that for 'most weddings' people spend >30'000 so a couple of hundred was nothing. It was massive to us.

But I have to say, the ceremony was beautiful, im not corney - or v religious but my partner has strong faith - and I loved it! I do wish we knew in advance so could have budgeted more carefully tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It seems to vary wildly. We were told it was strictly voluntary, and we didn't have to give anything if we didn't want to. We put €200 in an envelope and that was that. It was a parish close to my home one, with a priest who knew me for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

The priest back hander

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Backhander: a secret and illegal payment; a bribe

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

Civil Wedding Fees
    Pre Marriage Course Fees
    The priest back hander

Thanks

200€
    100-150€
    150€