Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre marriage course question

• 25-08-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm getting married July 2016 have just booked the church and am now looking for a pre marriage course. I want to get it done ASAP to take one more thing off the list :)

Curious to know though how much do they normally cost? I've seen people differ from 75 euro up to 200 euro? Hoping to do it somewhere around clonmel as that's where we're living, do if anyone knows courses around that area please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

We did the Accord one and it cost €200.

You should check with your priest though. Some priests specifically require you to do the Accord course.

If you go with that, just check their website and they will give you the locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

we did it in limerick with Accord in the last few weeks and cost 150euro

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We're in Dublin but did it in Newbridge and I think it cost up 50 or 70 less. I think it varies on where you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

I wonder why there is such a difference in prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

If you're not getting married til July 2016, I'd hold off a while. What's the rush?? Sure you'll have forgotten it all in two years time!

We did the together.ie one. Found is really excellent. We were skeptical about it, but it was very good, and cheap too! And our priest was perfectly happy with it. We did our 8 weeks before our wedding, and most couples there were getting married before the end of the year. It cost €100 per couple, and they had about 50 couples at it.

Did you check would it still be in date if you do it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Also July 2016, the 29th!! Yey less than 2 years :):) I'm in Waterford and I heard there's a course here for €150 but I can't remember who does the course, ill try find out for you. It's only down the road from you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ours cost €120, doing it in Kildare.. Getting married next March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think one of the primary factors in some of the price differences is that there are providers, other than Accord offering the courses. Accord seem to be the more expensive "option" generally.

OP before you book anything, chat further with the priest.

Our priest outlined that he'd only accept Accord courses (dictat from the Archbishop) and he also wanted the course done within 6 months ofbtje wedding date (so we couldn't do it at am earlier stage)

michellie wrote: »
    Also July 2016, the 29th!! Yey less than 2 years :):) I'm in Waterford and I heard there's a course here for €150 but I can't remember who does the course, ill try find out for you. It's only down the road from you.

Ha congrats! Mines the 7th :) but my friend is getting married on the 30th :P

Uriel. wrote: »
    I think one of the primary factors in some of the price differences is that there are providers, other than Accord offering the courses. Accord seem to be the more expensive "option" generally.

OP before you book anything, chat further with the priest.

Our priest outlined that he'd only accept Accord courses (dictat from the Archbishop) and he also wanted the course done within 6 months ofbtje wedding date (so we couldn't do it at am earlier stage)

I'll give a ring again this week. All I know is I can go anywhere to get it done just wasn't told what course he would prefer. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I'm getting married in March 2016 and got laughed at when I booked the church and was told not to ring again until next year as the priest wouldn't speak to me until then :(....so I'd deffo check if you do it now is it still valid for our church it has to be within six month of the marriage date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

emzibob wrote: »
    I'm getting married in March 2016 and got laughed at when I booked the church and was told not to ring again until next year as the priest wouldn't speak to me until then :(....so I'd deffo check if you do it now is it still valid for our church it has to be within six month of the marriage date.

The Pre-marriage course can be done at any stage...as long as it's with the person you're planning to marry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would have thought "the earlier the better" - becasue that gives you time to explore / resolve any "little" issues you might have missed before you pay too many deposits. It's not unknown for couples to have their first "do we want children" discussion at the course, and to discover that their answers are to fundamentally different that getting married to each other isn't a great idea after all!

Personally, I think that the state should also be insisting on a course, which informs you of the legal consequnces of marriage. Ones I can think of include:

You become each other's next-of-kin, with rights to make medical decisions if the other can't, and to inherit property
    You become responsible for debts that each other incurrs
    Rights / responsibilites for children that you produce
    Option for to joint assessment for tax
    Existing wills become invalid
    Property sale restrictions on "the family home"

And I'm sure that there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Uriel. wrote: »

Accord prices vary depending on where you are. We could only use Accord as that's what our priest wanted but the prices were still different depending on where we did it! Bonkers, really!

You got laughed at? Seriously? I booked the church already and she said it was no problem at all. But I'll really have to see if it has to be within 6 months of the marriage date...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

yup she took the booking but thought I was a bit eager "as sure we don't even have a calender for 2016 yet!" but given how early things are booked these days I didn't think I was that far off Its a year and a half away but how an ever its booked now so I can sort out the hotel now and get planning :D think we have to use accord for our course so I'll be sure to price around.

yup she took the booking but thought I was a bit eager "as sure we don't even have a calender for 2016 yet!" but given how early things are booked these days I didn't think I was that far off Its a year and a half away but how an ever its booked now so I can sort out the hotel now and get planning :D think we have to use accord for our course so I'll be sure to price around.

I don't think your being eager :P Your right though loads of suppliers and even the photographer we were looking at are already booked so best get stuff booked asap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

martinak89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm getting married July 2016 have just booked the church and am now looking for a pre marriage course. I want to get it done ASAP to take one more thing off the list :)

Curious to know though how much do they normally cost? I've seen people differ from 75 euro up to 200 euro? Hoping to do it somewhere around clonmel as that's where we're living, do if anyone knows courses around that area please let me know!

Do you definitely have to do it? Just asking because we got married 6 weeks ago and our priest said we didn't have to do it unless we really wanted to.

heroics wrote: »
    Do you definitely have to do it? Just asking because we got married 6 weeks ago and our priest said we didn't have to do it unless we really wanted to.

No, it depends entirely on the priest in question. So if your celebrant is telling you that you do not need it then, you do not need it.

My understanding is that it is now a general dictate from the Catholic hierarchy and priests should be requiring the course. But that's a matter for the priest and the Archbishop to fight over, if the priest is happy to be the celebrant without the course, then happy days.

martinak89 wrote: »
    I don't think your being eager :P Your right though loads of suppliers and even the photographer we were looking at are already booked so best get stuff booked asap :D

To be honest, my priest was the same, we went to him 17 months prior to the wedding and he said to come back in 3 months, that it was too early. I suppose each parish (and priest) is different.

• Advertisement

heroics wrote: »

I definitely have to do it anyway! When I booked the church I asked the secretary if I really had to do it and I swear she must have nearly had a heart attack that I even asked :P She gasped and said "Oh yes of course you have to do it" haha! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

The six month thing is do with with having your Pre-Nuptial Papers completed by a priest.

These papers must be completed within six months of the Wedding. You need
    your Baptismal Cert
    Confirmation Cert
    Letters of Freedom from any parish you have lived in since you turned 18.
    All these must be dated within six months as well.

the pre-marriage course cert can be dated any time.

neemish wrote: »
    The six month thing is do with with having your Pre-Nuptial Papers completed by a priest.

These papers must be completed within six months of the Wedding. You need
    your Baptismal Cert
    Confirmation Cert
    Letters of Freedom from any parish you have lived in since you turned 18.
    All these must be dated within six months as well.

the pre-marriage course cert can be dated any time.

Not according to my priest. Yes you are correct with regard to the timelines re Pre-Nup inquiries, but my priest for example, made it clear that the pre-marriage course is to be be done only within 6 months of the wedding.

Advertisement