Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring day van

Options
  • 28-01-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone offers day van insurance.

Thanks, Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Depends what you mean by a day van Lenny, If it is classed as a camper on the log book it would be no problem http://stuartinsurance.ie or http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/camper.htm both have camper schemes, if its not classed as camper only options are limited to the normal route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cheers killalaner - i was aware of the camper route, but am not sure if I want a camper yet :). I know (or at least have read) that some insurers look for the 1.8m in a conversion even though it is not a requirement for the camper classification.

I'm in the planning stages at the moment, but am considering converting another van (I built one years ago - merc 609d. great oul bus, but massive) based on something like a mwb med roof transit or a lwb transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I don't no much about conversions I'm more of a buy em and drive em type. But from what I can tell there have been a lot of changes in the requirements re conversions recently . Best to get yourself up to speed before you start spending money
    There is a thread running at the moment with a lot of info. it may be of interest to you. All the best with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

lennymc wrote: »

If you won't be carrying passengers you could tax it privately and insure it through a broker as a private van or buy an mpv like a bongo, granvia, noah, caravelle and insure it as a car.
    I'm in the planning stages at the moment, but am considering converting another van (I built one years ago - merc 609d. great oul bus, but massive) based on something like a mwb med roof transit or a lwb transporter.

Transit and transporter are about 6 inches narrower than ducato which if your tall rules out a bed across the van which can make layout much more flexible.

Medium roof has no advantage over high roof its still too tall for car parks/height barriers still too low for easy camper insuring and when you minus an inch for floor insulation, flooring, roof insulation, roof lining to low for the average male to stand in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Hi,

Thanks, Lenny

AFAIK, it's either camper, commercial or private insurance. Take your pick !

• Advertisement
Advertisement