Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast to Coast

Options
  • 11-01-2015 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi, This is a long shot but I thought I'd try anyway.

We have been playing for a while with the idea of doing the Wainwright Coast to Coast walk across England. The route runs from St.Bees Head on the west coast to Robin Hood Bay on the North Sea. It takes about ten to fourteen days and is dotted with small towns and villages where a backpacker can stay overnight.
    Trouble is when you add up the cost of B&B for two adults and two teenage kids it works out very expensive.
    So instead I was thinking of taking the MH, Parking up at the start of a day's walk, and in the evening using one of the shuttle bus services that serve the trail to return to the MH, move on to the next place and park up for the night.
    I have been in the UK a few times with the MH - usually en route to or from France an my experience is that parking places are hard to come by apart from campsites. I am particularly interested in locating good stopover places for a MH along the way - see the attached link of the route of the walk.

So my questions are.

Has anybody done this with a MH or know of anybody who has?

Can anybody recommend good stopovers / campsites within reasonable distance of the towns and villages along the route?

The main places are:
    St. Bees.
    Rosthwaite
    Grasmere
    Shap
    Kirkby Stephen
    Keld
    Reeth
    Richmond
    Ingleby Cross
    Glaisdale
    Robin Hood Bay

Thanks in advance for any advice and happy motorhoming in 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

Look up a back issue of MMM magazine, I am almost certain this was a feature about two years ago. Husband drove the camper and the wife walked it
    I think

Raymond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Thanks Raymond,

In the meantime I had a look at the motorhomefacts forum and some people seem to have done the same. Not very much details on stopovers though.

Do you remember when the MMM article was published?

SeamusG

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

Seamus,
    The article was about the South east Coastal path, so I think I have the wrong one.

In case you are interested it is in the Nov 2013 Edition of MMM page 39

Regards
    Raymond

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Have a look at the Caravan Clubs CLs (certified locations). Generally they are just a farmers yard or field you can pull into. Cost £10 a night (1 night only). Facilities vary but assume none.

Basically you have "security" of not parking illegally, not having someone hassle you etc. If lucky you might get some power hook up or water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Have a look at the Caravan Clubs CLs (certified locations). Generally they are just a farmers yard or field you can pull into. Cost £10 a night (1 night only). Facilities vary but assume none.

Basically you have "security" of not parking illegally, not having someone hassle you etc. If lucky you might get some power hook up or water.

Thanks Betsy Og - looks like exactly what I am after.

I googled the Caravan Club website and registered though it looks like I have to part with £46 and become a full member in order to download the GPS data for the certificated locations. I found an interactive map at http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/maps/searchmap.aspx?Type=CS
    That's me sorted for the time being!

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement