Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Supermacs has another menu and name variation for the occasional planning issue against "chains", Hungry Henry's I think. some flexibility other brands don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Supermac's puts Obama-style €10m plaza back on the planning menu

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/supermacs-puts-obamastyle-10m-plaza-back-on-the-planning-menu-37074325.html

Take 2 for Limerick-Galway M18 MSS planning application near Ennis for Supermacs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So not officially an offline motorway services, but work has just commenced on the massive Circle K services at Goffs

It will include hotel and several restaurants and if I remember correctly, 12 pump islands

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That one has been in planning since before the crash, 2006 possibly? (by Esso, pre Topaz, pre Circle K) Slightly surprised its been resurrected.

L1011 wrote: »
    That one has been in planning since before the crash, 2006 possibly? (by Esso, pre Topaz, pre Circle K) Slightly surprised its been resurrected.

They got planning extension which expired early next year, so it had to start.

Massive development overall

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Badly needed - there are many service stations along the Naas Road heading out of Dublin, but hardly any as you approach the city on the same road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

That is going to be the entrance for this I believe. The planning notices were stuck to the pumps anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah great news, nothing at all bar that pokey little one when heading city bound.

There's a Topaz/Restore just out of sight off r/a junction 3 Citywest before the Green Isle hotel

L1011 wrote: »
    That is going to be the entrance for this I believe. The planning notices were stuck to the pumps anyway!

Planning shows the current station to be just before the exit.

Entrance will be just after the goffs sign where the start of site clearance has commenced.

It will be great for me as currently I drive to Newlands cross to have some meetings and there are meant to be meeting rooms in this.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

D Trent wrote: »
    There's a Topaz/Restore just out of sight off r/a junction 3 Citywest before the Green Isle hotel

And the former Esso On The Run now Topaz/Circle K beside Joel's and Louis Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Not sure if its been mentioned on here but they look to be nearly finished with the expanded Applegreen services on the N7 just beyond Rathcoole, it looks like the sliproads for it have been reworked to incorporate the two nearby sliproads, should make it safer to enter/exit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Not sure if its been mentioned on here but they look to be nearly finished with the expanded Applegreen services on the N7 just beyond Rathcoole, it looks like the sliproads for it have been reworked to incorporate the two nearby sliproads, should make it safer to enter/exit
    its just a gigantic pity that Ireland doesnt allow the adding of the station branding onto the signs for the station, because for someone not familiar with the road its very hard to find the station youre looking for on that stretch when all you're going on is a plain brown sign for a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

its just a gigantic pity that Ireland doesnt allow the adding of the station branding onto the signs for the station, because for someone not familiar with the road its very hard to find the station youre looking for on that stretch when all you're going on is a plain brown sign for a petrol station.

I would suspect that the medium term plan for the whole N7 is to try and close as many direct accesses as they can get away with and try to rework junctions with the eventual aim of it becoming de-facto motorway standard, so part of that would be reducing the number of service stations and making the surviving ones into larger, MSA style services.

If you are in need of a fill, you'll find what you need regardless of colour.

To allow otherwise would result in hundreds of branded signs as a form of advertisement

yep, it will be much easier to access and exit, a huge increase in parking and a new dedicated truck parking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Newly revamped Applegreen on Naas Road at Rathcoole now open. It has Burger King, Freshii, Chopstix and Bakewell cafe food options.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Newly revamped Applegreen on Naas Road at Rathcoole now open. It has Burger King, Freshii, Chopstix and Bakewell cafe food options.

And already could do with more parking - drove past today and it was jammed.

Its going to be a goldmine for Applegreen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Applegreen have objected to the proposed M18 Plaza because, amongst others, it's excessive for such a rural location and it would have a visual impact on the M18 and would affect retail in Ennis town, in addition to violating TII's service area policy and talk about competing with the planned TII online MSA.

http://www.thejournal.ie/applegreen-supermacs-plaza-battle-4183570-Aug2018/

That is absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

"Supermac’s ‘shocked’ by claims of possible fake submissions on Galway-Limerick motorway plaza application"

https://connachttribune.ie/supermacs-shocked-by-claims-of-possible-fake-submissions-on-galway-limerick-motorway-plaza-application/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anybody know what's happening with McDonald's in Fermoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Limerick74 wrote: »
    "Supermac’s ‘shocked’ by claims of possible fake submissions on Galway-Limerick motorway plaza application"

https://connachttribune.ie/supermacs-shocked-by-claims-of-possible-fake-submissions-on-galway-limerick-motorway-plaza-application/

id say they where shocked it was reported!

Is Circle K doing badly in Fermoy. They are ads nearly every week in the local paper. Haven't seen a petrol station do this before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is Circle K doing badly in Fermoy. They are ads nearly every week in the local paper. Haven't seen a petrol station do this before.

I'm surprised they opened there to be honest. I hop off at that junction regularly but continue to use the Amber place nearer the town

Surely Mitchelstown would've opened up a bigger market for them

marno21 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they opened there to be honest. I hop off at that junction regularly but continue to use the Amber place nearer the town

Surely Mitchelstown would've opened up a bigger market for them

I think Apple Green had planning on a few years ago but it kept on getting rejected.

I can't see Circle taking off until Mcdonalds opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Anybody know what's happening with McDonald's in Fermoy?
    No sign of construction.
    I was there about two weeks ago. Neat services but nothing to shout about. Still useful for me as I sometimes use this junction.
    Two phone shots:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459211

attachment.php?attachmentid=459212

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Mid june 2018 i drove off Junction 14 to check the place out. I thought it was just Ok not great. I was not blown away by their food offerings. The place needs a burger vendor which currently does not exist. The services building seemed quiet small i just used the toilets and left after 10 mins looking the place over.

But perhaps i am being too harse. lots of parking is available to be fair. The Amber station on road into fermoy with its small services is indeed taking some business from this Fermoy Circle K

• Advertisement

I haven't been in the Amber since the Circle K opened. The latter is just far handier to get to with much better parking

Advertisement