Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enforcement suggestions to Gardai?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 3:18am
    Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to give suggestions to the Gardai for where they need to do some traffic enforcement? If there is such a mechanism, is it worth doing or will they just ignore it?

The reason I ask is that my commute takes me walking along Mespil Road and across Leeson St at the bridge. There is no left turn from Mespil Road onto Upper Leeson St. The only time there's a "green man" for me to cross Leeson St is when the traffic on Mespil Road has a green light for straight ahead and right over the bridge. Almost every day I meet cars coming around the corner (some even beep at me, the cheek! :mad:) and it's starting to irritate me. Several times, I've seen 3-4 cars queued up at the lights indicating left!

The ridiculous thing is that you would have to be a complete idiot to take that left even if it was legal. There is a left (Sussex Terrace) about 50m before the bridge which takes you to the exact same place with no traffic lights, just a yield or a stop (can't remember which).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write to the Traffic Corp in Donnybrook, I think its Sgt. Davern. Phone and check the spelling. Also mention it to:

Dublin City Traffic Control 1800 293949
    Garda Traffic Watch 1890 205 805

Carry and umbrella or rolled up newspaper in an obvious way in the hand nearest the offender - but do not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yo IRLConor....You have the essence of it in one small post...!! :eek:

Your description encapsulates everything about what is wrong with general Driving Standards along with a fairly comprehensive account of what is wrong with Traffic Law enforcement standards.

This Mespil Rd/Leeson St example is a carbon copy of the O Connell Bridge/Eden Quay situation which due to its pedestrian volume is a greater risk.

Moronic Motorists who perform such blatent infractions should be crushed to a purple haze by any means possible.....but NOT Gardai.

The simple expedient of a fixed ANPR/CCTV Gatso type camera at these locations would eventually penetrate whatever depth of sheilding these people have around their brain....

Simple,Direct POS advertising.....:D

NO LEFT TURN
    CAMERA MONITORED JUNCTION
    LEFT TURN €200+2 POINTS

Do you think that might impact on the drivers who one day will run the red light that is keeping YOU Safe....????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

To be fair, the correct turn is not well signposted.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Victor wrote: »
    Write to the Traffic Corp in Donnybrook, I think its Sgt. Davern. Phone and check the spelling. Also mention it to:

Dublin City Traffic Control 1800 293949
    Garda Traffic Watch 1890 205 805

Carry and umbrella or rolled up newspaper in an obvious way in the hand nearest the offender - but do not use it.

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Not sure, I think there is a sign directing one to the N11 at Sussex Terrace. That said, the illegality of the left turn is clearly signposted so there's no excuse for taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agreed, it is one of the more bizarre constructions I've seen. Also IIRC if you want to turn right coming from the other direction, you have to go straight across the junction, then turn immediately right down that little dogs-leg and the left onto Upper Leeson St. It's a rather counter-intuitive thing to do, and could be more prominently signposted.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    NO LEFT TURN
    CAMERA MONITORED JUNCTION
    LEFT TURN €200+2 POINTS

Do you think that might impact on the drivers who one day will run the red light that is keeping YOU Safe....????

It might impact them if it was enforced as eventually they'd get banned.

Alun wrote: »
    Agreed, it is one of the more bizarre constructions I've seen. Also IIRC if you want to turn right coming from the other direction, you have to go straight across the junction, then turn immediately right down that little dogs-leg and the left onto Upper Leeson St. It's a rather counter-intuitive thing to do, and could be more prominently signposted.

Certainly, coming from that direction (Grand Parade) it really needs better signposting.

Something like:
       ^
       |
       |-->
       |
    <--|--X

I don't think I've ever seen people taking that illegal right though, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Now, THERE'S a surprise ! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

That junction is crazy. Every single day I see at least one of the following:
    • Drivers making that illegal left from Mespil Road to Lesson St
    • Drivers turning left from Leeson St onto Grand Parade through a red light (through the pedestrian crossing).
    • Leeson St drivers blocking the junction, causing canal traffic to be at a standstill through an entire light sequence.
    • Illegal right turners blocking traffic flow
    • Cars stopping (or not moving when they should) so that they can get freebie newspapers, and holding up traffic
    • Queue-jumpers inbound on Leeson St using the right turn (Fitzwilliam St) lane and then barging in left to the centre lane (often blocking the genuine right turners).
    The fact that people do these things all the time shows that there is zero enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Alun wrote: »

I'm fairly sure it used to be fairly well signposted a few years ago - large white rectangular sign indicating how the routing worked. But that may be gone now, especially after the recent road works along the canal.

MOH wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it used to be fairly well signposted a few years ago - large white rectangular sign indicating how the routing worked. But that may be gone now, especially after the recent road works along the canal.

I think those signs went away when the purple ones appeared.

Advertisement