Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to Abbey Street Upper

Options
  • 02-01-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Ok quick question. I'm down in Cork and I have a job interview in Abbey Street Upper in Dublin at 11.10 in the morning in a few weeks time.

Currently tossing options around, drive up & (expensive) hotel for night, or fly up on Ryanair in the morning and come in from there, then go home that evening.

Earliest flight with Ryanair gets into Dublin airport at 830am, would it be reasonable to get to Abbey Street Upper by 11.10am, factoring in say 30mins of late aircraft disease and general Dublin traffic holding up the bus?

Would the 747 bus be the best bet to get close to Abbey St Up?? I dunno much about the buses in Dublin other than their lousiness. Which route to get and where will it dump us off?

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Would getting the train not make the most sense?

Cork - Dublin Heuston
    05:15 - 08:25
    06:30 - 09:15
    07:30 - 10:20

And from there its a 15/20 min ride on the luas to abbey st
    No messing with Dublic traffic or airports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Which is more reliable though, Irish Rail + Luas or Ryanair + Bus :D

Edit: Though I dont know much about train tickets, Ryanair is €20 return and Irish Rail is €61. My folks are thinking of coming up as well which would make it €60 vs €183 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

include cost of getting to cork airport and back again vs Ceannt Stn

Car to the station + 1 days parking would be by and large, approximatly the same for the station vs the airport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

check in times and all that malarky would make me rather the train, but I'd prefer the bus over it all, Aircoach have roomy clean buses and return on aircoach is only 18 euro...the 06.00 hour service will have you in for 10

• Advertisement

Bus would be easy put getting to the bus station in Cork (ie parking a car) is more of an issue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

For comfort, I'd say get the plane. Journey time is only 30mins and including check-ins etc you're talking 2hrs max from arriving at Cork Airport to getting on a bus in Dublin.

My one experience of Cork with Ryanair was very good, check in was easy and painless (off-peak though) both ways - only trouble was a long queue for passport control at Dublin coming back, domestic passengers weren't able to skip it.

747 bus is €12 return, complete rip off. Get a 16a/41 and you'll be in town (O'Connell St) for €1.90 in about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

There's a new domesic line at Pier A (pretty much all Ryanair flights come in to Pier A) so prob won't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    For comfort, I'd say get the plane. Journey time is only 30mins and including check-ins etc you're talking 2hrs max from arriving at Cork Airport to getting on a bus in Dublin.....747 bus is €12 return, complete rip off. Get a 16a/41 and you'll be in town (O'Connell St) for €1.90 in about an hour.

You also need to allow an hour to get to and from Dublin Airport, even on the 747. The 16/A will take longer again, albeit cheaper. Also, if are running late, a taxi will set you back €30, more if you need the DPT through time constraints.

The train has the advantage that you can board up to 5 minutes before it leaves and you get off the minute it arrives; there is every chance you can be in the city in 15 minutes upon arrival. Heuston is also easier to get to if you are stuck for time and more flexibility of service if you need to leave earlier or later. However, if you have time to kill and it is cheaper, you are as well to fly.

Yeah we're thinking of coming up the day before on Ryanair, staying the night, me having the interview the next morning, then heading home fairly late that evening. Still deciding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Which is more reliable though, Irish Rail + Luas or Ryanair + Bus :D

Edit: Though I dont know much about train tickets, Ryanair is €20 return and Irish Rail is €61. My folks are thinking of coming up as well which would make it €60 vs €183 :(

The special offer Ryanair tickets are only €10 each way under certain conditions, if they are all gone or you book too late a regular €0.01 fare will cost nearly €50 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ok quick question. I'm down in Cork and I have a job interview in Abbey Street Upper in Dublin at 11.10 in the morning in a few weeks time.

Currently tossing options around, drive up & (expensive) hotel for night, or fly up on Ryanair in the morning and come in from there, then go home that evening.

Earliest flight with Ryanair gets into Dublin airport at 830am, would it be reasonable to get to Abbey Street Upper by 11.10am, factoring in say 30mins of late aircraft disease and general Dublin traffic holding up the bus?

Would the 747 bus be the best bet to get close to Abbey St Up?? I dunno much about the buses in Dublin other than their lousiness. Which route to get and where will it dump us off?

Thanks a mil :)

Don't let your complete ignorance of the bus service stand in the way of you slating it. :rolleyes:

Getting on a bus (747 or Aircoach) leaving before 10.30 would give you more than enough time to get to Abbey St.

A one-day bus rambler ticket is €6 and is valid on the 747/748 express as well as all other Dublin Bus routes, probably the best option if you are going back the same day.

The 16A, 746, 747 and Aircoach will all drop you on O'Connell St a short walk from Abbey St Upper. the 41 drops at Marlborough St which is about 1 minute farther away and the 748 would leave you on Aston Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If using Luas from Heuston, use the Jervis Stop. Abbey Street Upper is at that end.

Coming from Busarás you might as well walk.

Advertisement