Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitsubishi L200 Engine Problems. Is it normal?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have an Mitsubishi L200 which I bought brand new in 2003.
    Since 2003 I have put 2 new engines in it. So now it has had 3 different engines in its life.
    Original Engine was knocking and cracked the head and cracked 2 pistons.
    Second Engine was same again.
    Fourth Engine its blowing oil out the dipstick and the piston rings are bunched. Its also knocking.

Anyone have any similar experiences with these and are they the biggest piece of scrap ever made or have I just very bad luck?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

4 engines in any 12 year old vehicle is a lot. I'd be looking at your fuel and servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tractaholic

Del2005 wrote: »
    4 engines in any 12 year old vehicle is a lot. I'd be looking at your fuel and servicing.

Servicing is 100%
    Fuel is also 100%
    I know this as we have 10 company cars here that all get the same treatment and the L200 is the only one that gives any trouble.

Puzzling to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

L200 older engines have issues. What engine in yours?

Thread moved to 4x4 forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

1 engine is understandable but 3/4. Heck that's aggravating to say the least. I know of a few l200s round here and they've been abused but keep on going. Sounds more like an auxiliary problem that's causing them engines to calf prematurely.

Servicing is 100%
    Fuel is also 100%
    I know this as we have 10 company cars here that all get the same treatment and the L200 is the only one that gives any trouble.

Puzzling to say the least

Is it the same operator in the L200 all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

biko wrote: »
    L200 older engines have issues.

What issues?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is it the same operator in the L200 all the time?

It is mostly the same operator.
    It never pulls a trailer and it only drives locally. It did one piece of motorway driving last week and that was the first in about 6 months.

It has to be something else external to the engine that is causing this

It is mostly the same operator.
    It never pulls a trailer and it only drives locally. It did one piece of motorway driving last week and that was the first in about 6 months.

A one operator vehicle needing 4 new engines, have a look at the operator.

It sure is, its the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have an Mitsubishi L200 which I bought brand new in 2003.
    Since 2003 I have put 2 new engines in it. So now it has had 3 different engines in its life.
    Original Engine was knocking and cracked the head and cracked 2 pistons.
    Second Engine was same again.
    Fourth Engine its blowing oil out the dipstick and the piston rings are bunched. Its also knocking.

Anyone have any similar experiences with these and are they the biggest piece of scrap ever made or have I just very bad luck?

Thanks

The engines are like chocolate in those jeeps.

• Advertisement

To be fair johnboy they only turned to chocolate in the facelift model.

It definitely isnt the operator.

I used to drive the L200 as a company car and the engine went in it.
    Then another staff member got it with the new engine and the engine went again.
    Then another staff member got it as a staff car and the engine blew again.

Everyone of these drivers that was finished with the L200 went on to drive our Landcruiser or Ford Kuga as a company car and they have never given an ounce of trouble.

So thats how I know it is not the driver and it is definitely the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

It definitely isnt the operator.

I used to drive the L200 as a company car and the engine went in it.
    Then another staff member got it with the new engine and the engine went again.
    Then another staff member got it as a staff car and the engine blew again.

Everyone of these drivers that was finished with the L200 went on to drive our Landcruiser or Ford Kuga as a company car and they have never given an ounce of trouble.

So thats how I know it is not the driver and it is definitely the car.
    It's definitely an auxiliary component, if you decide to repair again, bring it to a mechanic familiar with them. Worth checking out the sister site of pocuk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

kay 9 wrote: »
    It's definitely an auxiliary component, if you decide to repair again, bring it to a mechanic familiar with them. Worth checking out the sister site of pocuk

An auxiliary component? What auxiliary component? These engine are absolute balls of sh*te. The cylinder heads for one are absolute chocolate on them and are prone to cracking.

Advertisement