Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second time lucky

Options
  • 30-04-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,
    Would it be ok to start planting these seeds now:
    Peas
    Beans
    carrots
    beetroot
    scallions

I planted them over a month ago and nothing grew so i'm starting again.
    Is it warm enough yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

It's very wet and windy at the moment. Give it another week and see what the forecast says. It 'should' be ok at this time of year but not this year. You could do it under cloches or mini-tunnels. Or else sow peas, beans, beetroot, scallions indoors in modules and transplant them out when the weather improves. That's your best bet. No time lost, they will gereminate quicker and higher percentage, and they will be stronger plants once in the ground. Just need a little hardening off is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

radiat wrote: »
    Hi,
    Would it be ok to start planting these seeds now:
    Peas
    Beans
    carrots
    beetroot
    scallions

I planted them over a month ago and nothing grew so i'm starting again.
    Is it warm enough yet?

Remember plants grow to the weather rather than the calendar.
    The last three weeks have been bitter cold, white frosts at night and a
    Cutting wind as if it were February.
    When the nighttime temps stay above 3degrees we should see some growth. You should have plenty of time, worst case they may be a little late.

Advertisement