Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedgwick machinery

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

A neighbour of mine has offered me a sedgwick table saw, 3 phase and also a sedgwick 571 mortice machine 3 phase. He also has a pristine scheppach bsm2010 industrial belt sander single phase. He doesn't know the value of them so what are they worth?

The table saw has no sliding table and is I presume the forerunner the the TA315. I don't know the model no. but it takes a 400mm blade.

Both machines are in good condition but have been sitting idle in his garage for about two years and just need the surface rust cleaned off and to be greased up etc. and are ready for work.

The second question is,seeing as I don't have three phase, can I get a converter and run these as single phase and if so how much would it cost?

Thanks for reading.
    Junior hurler

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A neighbour of mine has offered me a sedgwick table saw, 3 phase and also a sedgwick 571 mortice machine 3 phase. He also has a pristine scheppach bsm2010 industrial belt sander single phase. He doesn't know the value of them so what are they worth?

The table saw has no sliding table and is I presume the forerunner the the TA315. I don't know the model no. but it takes a 400mm blade.

Both machines are in good condition but have been sitting idle in his garage for about two years and just need the surface rust cleaned off and to be greased up etc. and are ready for work.

The second question is,seeing as I don't have three phase, can I get a converter and run these as single phase and if so how much would it cost?

Thanks for reading.
    Junior hurler
    You would probably need a 10hp phase converter to power all three machines - this could cost anything up to €2K new. The alternative would be to change the motors to single phase - although this is supposed to affect the smooth running of the machines. Alun knows his stuff on this ;)
    A quick search for secondhand Sedgewick table saws gave prices up to £2K in the UK. How much to offer?
    If it was me, I'd be asking how little can I offer or how cheap can I get them.
    Sedgewick machinery is fine stuff and will last a lifetime but you will need to factor in conversion to single phase obviously.
    It's an odd combination of machines - is there no planer knocking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

1: the gizmo to get u from 1 phase to 3 phases need only be big enough for the biggest machine u wont have both on together: what ever u get get a soft start kit which will stop the lights dimming in your estate when you fire up the saw:)

2: single phase motors will be- in general- much bigger physically and the fixing plates wont match

read and understand the issues as described here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchin/Induction%20motors%20-%20Issue2.pdf

For the sander u need serious dust extraction.

Once you do the math on the all in costs u need to think whether the mula would be better spent on 1 phase gear.

Will u have the work for the mortiser?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

That's a handy PDF Carlow 52 - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Crikey!!! €2k?

I think I could get the lot for about a grand. Is it worth it do you think?
    Sander for 500 these are about 1300 new
    Mortiser for 400 about 2000 new
    Table saw for 1-200. No sliding table and hard to compare to anything new

Any opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Crikey!!! €2k?

I think I could get the lot for about a grand. Is it worth it do you think?
    Sander for 500 these are about 1300 new
    Mortiser for 400 about 2000 new
    Table saw for 1-200. No sliding table and hard to compare to anything new

Any opinions.
    Re is it worth it: what is the business case for SWMBO [ aka trouble and strife] when all this kit appears under the xmas tree:)

My view: the sander may be worth considering but a 3 phase mortiser: unless u have the work: no
    A 16" 3 phase circular saw: unless you have the work: no

ps dont be concerned about the sliding table, most guys make their own: loads of examples on web.

In addition do u have the floor space?

• Advertisement

I agree that the morticer would need a lot of very specific work to justify the expense and you would still be stuck with the phase conversion issue. If you needed one - you could pick up a bench model for less than a 1/5 of the asking price. They are not versatile machines. There are a lot of workshops with morticers gathering dust.
    I think €500 for a sanding machine is steep but they are very versatile machines. You can get small belt and disc combination machines for under €100 new these days.
    I think the saw for €200 (if you could get a single phase motor and get the motor fitted, or get a phase converter) would be worth a shot if you don't already have a saw.

I am a qualified joiner from a previous life and still do a bit of work here and there in my spare time. I do have the floor space for all the machines and enough work for the morticer from time to time. The belt and disc combo sanders are not really comparable to what has been offered to me. They offer a 1 metre sanding length (2m belt). I think I am going to buy the lot but just want to know the monetary value of them.

I wouldn't have been able to resist either, good luck with your purchase ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

A grand would be a good deal. i paid 1350 for an old dominion morticer on its own a year or so back. serious kit compared to newer stuff. bit bigger than sedgwick but a good mortiser is well sought after. the chisels are expensive for what you get so get him to check the shed.saw is as you say about 1-200 mark and you have the sander way over valued (personal opinion on sheppach). phase converters are being sold off regularly on done deal. lads still emigrating closing down small workshops so plenty on offer. see them priced at anything from 500 up. cant think which one is better rotary or static (just know one is supposed to be far superior to the other).

1chippy wrote: »
    A grand would be a good deal. i paid 1350 for an old dominion morticer on its own a year or so back. serious kit compared to newer stuff. bit bigger than sedgwick but a good mortiser is well sought after. the chisels are expensive for what you get so get him to check the shed.saw is as you say about 1-200 mark and you have the sander way over valued (personal opinion on sheppach). phase converters are being sold off regularly on done deal. lads still emigrating closing down small workshops so plenty on offer. see them priced at anything from 500 up. cant think which one is better rotary or static (just know one is supposed to be far superior to the other).

What value would you put on the sander? This is the one I am most interested in as I have a panel saw and could possibly live without a morticer for the moment, but this sander would make me up. I don't want to overpay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

I'd be interested in the table saw, if your buying the whole lot together and don't want the saw.

I already have 3 phase power so no need for me to convert.

Advertisement