Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there any information on the Capital Cost of this scheme?
    Last estimate was €100m.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/100m-dunkettle-interchange-project-given-green-light-231374.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2016-06-29a.223

Recent select committee, spokesman for DTTAS Dominic Mullaney says that Dunkettle will start in 2018/19 followed after that by the M28 scheme.

Does anyone know if there's a plan under this scheme to bridge the old N25 under the M8 to provide an alternative route for designation of the N25 to motorway? Such silliness not bridging it back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

marno21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a plan under this scheme to bridge the old N25 under the M8 to provide an alternative route for designation of the N25 to motorway? Such silliness not bridging it back in the day.

DOes this answer you question?

Bl5npbVCYAAeWTd.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm pretty sure all movements will be separated. A start date of "2018/2019" means late 2018 so another 2 1/2 years before construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also, AFAIK there are no plans to designate the N25 as M25, much as we'd like to see it for 'blue line' reasons.

Also, AFAIK there are no plans to designate the N25 as M25, much as we'd like to see it for 'blue line' reasons.
    I have an actual reason for seeing it as M25, nothing to do with blue lines.

When I drive from Dunkettle to Little Island at 120km/h, I don't want to be driving a few feet away from a cyclist. That's just dangerous. A road that's suitable for 120km/h, and designated as so, same with the Ballincollig BP, should have motorway restrictions applied. If the Ennis BP, M7 Castletown-Nenagh & M8 Glanmire BP are good enough for motorway restrictions then so should the N25.
    tm

Also, the "old N25" I'm talking about is the single carriageway N25 replaced in the 1990s, it no longer exists from the N8/R639 Dunkettle R/A to the LILO for Little Island just east of the Dunkettle Interchange, it would make an ideal alternative route for the M25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I have an actual reason for seeing it as M25, nothing to do with blue lines.

When I drive from Dunkettle to Little Island at 120km/h, I don't want to be driving a few feet away from a cyclist. That's just dangerous. A road that's suitable for 120km/h, and designated as so, same with the Ballincollig BP, should have motorway restrictions applied. If the Ennis BP, M7 Castletown-Nenagh & M8 Glanmire BP are good enough for motorway restrictions then so should the N25.
    tm

I don't massively disagree with you, but I can tell you as someone who cycles this route regularly that it's the best option because of a lack of alternative routes. The stretch of "old" N25, or whatever we should call it, through Glounthaune and as far as Carrigtwohill is good quality.

Carrigtwohill-Midleton does not have a suitable secondary road in its current state. Hence no "R" number, presumably.
    The M8 has the good-quality R639 parallel to it, the Ennis M18 has the R458.

You mention cyclists, but to be honest a bigger problem might well be "N" or "L" plate drivers, who also aren't allowed on motorways. But it's fine to not want to drive near a cyclist lol.

I don't massively disagree with you, but I can tell you as someone who cycles this route regularly that it's the best option because of a lack of alternative routes. The stretch of "old" N25, or whatever we should call it, through Glounthaune and as far as Carrigtwohill is good quality.

Carrigtwohill-Midleton does not have a suitable secondary road in its current state. Hence no "R" number, presumably.
    The M8 has the good-quality R639 parallel to it, the Ennis M18 has the R458.

You mention cyclists, but to be honest a bigger problem might well be "N" or "L" plate drivers, who also aren't allowed on motorways. But it's fine to not want to drive near a cyclist lol.
    The N25 from Dunkettle to east of Carrigtwohill was built offline (East Cork Parkway) in the 1990s, it has a 120km/h limit and an alternative route for much of its length. East of there is low quality DC to the R630 roundabout, with LILOs, property access & median crossings. A plan to grade seperate this section and build a parallel alternative route was to begin a few years ago but has since been suspended.

These dual carraigeways may be safer than the old route but they are still no place for cyclists.

Carrigtwohill - Midleton was dualled years ago by slapping a second carriageway down next to the one that was there. Shame the upgrade got canned.

The Midleton bypass never gets enough credit.... such a forward thinking bit of road when it was built (DC, low quality now, but staggeringly high quality in the 80s when it was built).

• Advertisement

The N25 from Dunkettle to east of Carrigtwohill was built offline (East Cork Parkway) in the 1990s, it has a 120km/h limit and an alternative route for much of its length. East of there is low quality DC to the R630 roundabout, with LILOs, property access & median crossings. A plan to grade seperate this section and build a parallel alternative route was to begin a few years ago but has since been suspended.

These dual carraigeways may be safer than the old route but they are still no place for cyclists.

But there's actually no road from the Tivoli side of Dunkettle, marno. Sending the traffic through Glanmire is a no-go as it's already heavily congested. North Esk to Carrigtohill is 120kmh, because that's the only bit that a secondary route exists for.

I'm speaking as both a cyclist and a motorist, if you're going from City to Carrigtwohill then the N25 is probably equally safe for cyclists as negotiating the narrow congested roads between Dunkettle House and Glanmire village (L2999). On one you have faster traffic but a wide margin and clear sightlines, on the other you have narrow corners, no margin and mostly 80kmh traffic. It is now signed as 50kmh, but it's not a safe road. Most L and N drivers will go N25, indeed I know of L drivers who avoid the L2999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Irish Examiner tomorrow saying work will start in 2019/20.

This is almost ready to go.

Or would be ready to start tomorrow if they had got off their arses when the Capital Plan was announced and got all the pre-work done.

2019 is a joke. This and the N28 dualling are needed for the Port of Cork expansion to go ahead, and now the roads to it won't be complete until 2023 or 2024.

Is there any functioning brain cells at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I just saw the proposal and it appears traffic from Dublin going into the city will have to go towards midelton first, through and overpass and then back towards the city. This seems like madness to me. This overpass for the business Park is already jammed up, forcing every city centre bound car from the m8 to use it surely makes little sense. Is this really the final plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

tails_naf wrote: »
    I just saw the proposal and it appears traffic from Dublin going into the city will have to go towards midelton first, through and overpass and then back towards the city. This seems like madness to me. This overpass for the business Park is already jammed up, forcing every city centre bound car from the m8 to use it surely makes little sense. Is this really the final plan?

Vast Majority of vehicles will use the South Ring, also I think this design is looking to the future of the North Ring road and Port of Cork being moved to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Vast Majority of vehicles will use the South Ring, also I think this design is looking to the future of the North Ring road and Port of Cork being moved to Ringaskiddy.

Yes of course the majority will, but my point is its junction at the business Park is already an issue at rush hour. Putting any more traffic through it is surely not ideal. Getting it 90% right for 100 million is a bit of a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

So many movements will be handled automatically. I doubt there will be much traffic on this one alone.

What is probably need though is a third junction for Little Island at the end where the KFC sign is.

Now that everyone's back and everyone's favourite roads are jammed again, it's no surprise these are still a major issue in the local media.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ibec-calls-major-cork-road-projects-get-underway/2526413/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

It took me 45 minutes to get through here this morning. I wonder is there anything that could be done in the meantime? Would a P & R from the northside be any relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

pigtown wrote: »
    It took me 45 minutes to get through here this morning. I wonder is there anything that could be done in the meantime? Would a P & R from the northside be any relief?

Were you coming from Dublin? I went through about 7.30 and it was backed away up the hill at that time...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

Got to the roundabout queue at 7.45 and reached the tunnel at 8.30. It's rdiculous

M50 got freeflow on all its junctions when it was at 100k vehicles per day

N40 is at 100k per day and its fighting hard for freeflow on the busiest junction (>90k vehicles per day)

It is generally not understood how bad traffic is in Cork.

Bring on MM and (M25, M22, M71 - a man can wish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Jacobs due to be awarded consultancy services through the tender and construction stage for this project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's incredible there aren't freeflow left slips at this junction. Especially on the north side of the junction

It's incredible there aren't freeflow left slips at this junction. Especially on the north side of the junction

I think the Ibis slip road and the North Esk depot slip road block a proper north side slip. They're quite close.

South side, I think the existing city-bound lane going from 2 to 1 might be the problem: it'd be hard to go from 3 to 1 in the same space.

But in general, agreed, it seems a major oversight of the original plan: I suspect you could reduce a nice few % of vehicles from the queue.

• Advertisement

There was a plan 10 years ago when the lights got put in to also add a number of slips. Never happened.

There was also another plan to put a left slip from Cork to Dublin but these plans took over and building that slip would have just made a mess of the planning for the whole scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There was a plan 10 years ago when the lights got put in to also add a number of slips. Never happened.

No point now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I see people using the H/S in the morning to head for little island but the cops are there most mornings giving out tickets for it...:rolleyes:

Pity they wouldn't stop the traffic from blocking the roundabout so the Dublin traffic could keep flowing.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I see people using the H/S in the morning to head for little island but the cops are there most mornings giving out tickets for it...:rolleyes:

Pity they wouldn't stop the traffic from blocking the roundabout so the Dublin traffic could keep flowing.

I find that Gardai are usually clamping down on things that while illegal, improve traffic flow. Crawling along hard shoulders being one thing.

I wouldn't mind if they instead focused on queue jumping at various roundabouts which is downright dangerous.

• Advertisement

I find that Gardai are usually clamping down on things that while illegal, improve traffic flow. Crawling along hard shoulders being one thing.
    Bit ludicrous you have to admit.
    Driving in hard shoulders is highly problematic - what if there's an emergency, the responders can't get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

spacetweek wrote: »
    Bit ludicrous you have to admit.
    Driving in hard shoulders is highly problematic - what if there's an emergency, the responders can't get through.

Agree 100%

However the drivers that I see in the Little Island lane jumping the queue by forcing themselves into the tunnel lane at the last minute on the roundabout every morning are a huge problem also. I wish the guards would spend a few mornings up there catching these dangerous drivers as well as at the hard shoulder of the Dublin road approach.

I don't use the N40 at peak times that much (I try to avoid it), but today there was a longer queue for the Douglas flyover than there was for the Dunkettle interchange. The queue for Dunkettle was also moving whilst the Douglas queue was at a halt. The Dunkettle upgrade and the removal of the Carrs Hill bottleneck with the N28 is going to put SERIOUS pressure on the Douglas flyover westbound because there are no exits between J9 and J6 westbound. There is an onramp at J7 but there's a lane gain to compensate for that.

It didn't help that there was atriocious driving too such as a black car with no lights on weaving in and out of traffic between J6 and J9 in pitch dark. Reckless.

I don't use the N40 at peak times that much (I try to avoid it), but today there was a longer queue for the Douglas flyover than there was for the Dunkettle interchange. The queue for Dunkettle was also moving whilst the Douglas queue was at a halt. The Dunkettle upgrade and the removal of the Carrs Hill bottleneck with the N28 is going to put SERIOUS pressure on the Douglas flyover westbound because there are no exits between J9 and J6 westbound. There is an onramp at J7 but there's a lane gain to compensate for that.

It didn't help that there was atriocious driving too such as a black car with no lights on weaving in and out of traffic between J6 and J9 in pitch dark. Reckless.

Been saying this for upwards of 2 years.

Douglas flyover will have to be widened to 3 lanes. Dunkettle and M28 will require it.

If not, the traffic will be back up through the tunnel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So what is the latest with the Dunkettle upgrade? Any time frame? Is the tender out?

Geogregor wrote: »
    So what is the latest with the Dunkettle upgrade? Any time frame? Is the tender out?

Early 2019 start is the latest indication we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

without going through 30 pages? Ill ask a simple question, are the plans for the freeflow adequate? i.e. not the joke that some of the new junctions on the m50 are capacity wise, i.e. not even up to those volumes from day 1 of opening?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    without going through 30 pages? Ill ask a simple question, are the plans for the freeflow adequate? i.e. not the joke that some of the new junctions on the m50 are capacity wise, i.e. not even up to those volumes from day 1 of opening?
    Which junctions on the M50 are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ballymount and tallaght for a start not as familiar with the other ones except the n7 and n4 which are ok, at least they are free flow... getting onto the m50 is an absolute joke coming from the tallaght road, there should be a dedicated freeflow slip road onto m50 southbound at least, also the right turn onto m50 northbound, needs to be two lanes... ideally the should put in a free flow...

ballymount and tallaght for a start not as familiar with the other ones except the n7 and n4 which are ok, at least they are free flow... getting onto the m50 is an absolute joke coming from the tallaght road, there should be a dedicated freeflow slip road onto m50 southbound at least, also the right turn onto m50 northbound, needs to be two lanes... ideally the should put in a free flow...
    The Ballymount junction is a mess because it's too close to the Red Cow junction. The weaving there is a joke especially considering how busy the Red Cow junction is. There should've been some sort of collector/distributor setup put in there during the upgrade.

• Advertisement

It'll be fine apart from the N8 Dublin Road - N8 Cork, which is a joke. They are deliberately trying to push THAT traffic through the tunnel and into Cork from the South.

The freeflows will be fine, the main issue in the future will be Douglas Flyover and the tunnel itself. You can more easily build a new parallel Douglas Flyover than you can double the capacity of the Lee Tunnel.

Long term more traffic needs to be diverted around the future North Ring. Plenty of traffic has no business on the South Ring

It'll be fine apart from the N8 Dublin Road - N8 Cork, which is a joke. They are deliberately trying to push THAT traffic through the tunnel and into Cork from the South.

The freeflows will be fine, the main issue in the future will be Douglas Flyover and the tunnel itself. You can more easily build a new parallel Douglas Flyover than you can double the capacity of the Lee Tunnel.

Douglas flyover is much more pressing as it handles additional traffic from the Link Road and the N27.

Think the junction will be fine. One major movement isn't free flow. However it will have priority at every single roundabout.

Jacobs appointed with a very low price to complete the specimen design and complete the tender action evaluation & award process of the D&B Contract

Scheme to be design in accordance with BIM standards so will be interested to see how it turns out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Ballymount junction is a mess because it's too close to the Red Cow junction. The weaving there is a joke especially considering how busy the Red Cow junction is. There should've been some sort of collector/distributor setup put in there during the upgrade.

The Ballymount exit issue is the road capacity away from the junction is not enough.
    The Ballymount entrance onto the M50N is less of an issue as the red cow onramp merges delay traffic, if the red cow on slips to the M50N all put cars in the Aux lane, traffic would be freer flowing, instead of the short merge from the R110 under the junction and the subsequent short merge from the N7, beside the Aux onslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Jacobs appointed with a very low price to complete the specimen design and complete the tender action evaluation & award process of the D&B Contract

Scheme to be design in accordance with BIM standards so will be interested to see how it turns out
    So, when could we expect the tender? Spring next year? Later?

I would say Contractor tender documents would be issued middle of next year with a pre qual probably March/ April time. There is no money with the dept of transport = no rush

Contractor PIN Notice to discuss BIM Implementation, sensible pricing issued, Traffic Manaement etc on ETenders

Contractor PIN Notice to discuss BIM Implementation, sensible pricing issued, Traffic Manaement etc on ETenders

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=105948&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Tender attached above

• Advertisement

Echo article on the Dunkettle upgrade. Start is a shade over 2 years away now.

Advertisement