Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really regret finishing it.

• 19-04-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

So I met a guy, we met up most weekends for a few months (he lives 2 hours away), spoke daily and got on really well. He wasn't the type I have ever gone for before.
    I wasn't attracted to him but I did like him.
    1 of my friends met him and said "god he's really NOT your type is he" and laughed.
    So anyhow one day I text him and said I didn't think it would work etc etc. By the end of the day I regretted my decision. I left it for 2 days and then text and said I was really sorry and would love if he would meet up to see if we could ts and try sort things out. He said no. I sent a few texts to see if he would meet and got cool replies but he refused to meet.
    I deleted his number & Facebook and havn't had any contact since. That was a month ago.
    Every day I still miss chatting to him and having him there to tell the silly little things to.
    I agreed to go for a coffee with a guy this weekend and I sat there with him and had no interest as I was just thinking about the other guy.
    I'm never like this but I really miss him. I know deep down if he liked me he would have agreed to meet to talk.
    Am I crazy to think of sending him a message after a month apart???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I wasn't attracted to him

Leave him be. You're just lonely and miss someone there to chat away to and tell the silly things to. Be cruel to use him for that though. And sounds like he isn't up to being that guy anyway (understandably). So leave the guy be. Go meet someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Thanks strobe. With my X's I was very much attracted to them, that was something that made me question myself too.
    Do you have to be really attracted to a partner or is liking them as a person enough?

Thanks strobe. With my X's I was very much attracted to them, that was something that made me question myself too.
    Do you have to be really attracted to a partner or is liking them as a person enough?

If you like someone and aren't attracted to them. Become friends with them. Maybe even very very best friends. But no, to be in an exclusive, long term, monogamous relationship with someone, yes you absolutely have to be attracted to them. You're saying to yourself "this is the only human being I am going to express my sexuality with, out of all the human beings on the planet, excluding all others", yeah, you have to be attracted to them.

Or to put it another way, would you be happy being in a relationship with a guy that didn't find you attractive? Do you think you wouldn't sooner or later be able to tell? How would that make you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭catonthewire

Honestly it sounds like the guy is simply hurt by your sudden rejection of him, if you two had been getting on well prior to the text , I am not not surprised at his reaction..

You were getting on well, meeting up despite the distance , then bang out of the blue you decide to end the relationship.
    I can't really blame him to be honest, it seems to me that your friends comment played a part in your decision to drop him..

Leave him be, perhaps he may make contact again, and if not just move on...

Fair point (and well made) when you put it like that.
    Think I will stay away from guys for the moment!

• Advertisement

Thanks catonthewire, we were getting on well to be honest and I genuinely didn't mean to hurt him.
    Yes, if I'm honest, I probably did let myself be influenced by her.
    Thanks for your reply.

Fair point (and well made) when you put it like that.
    Think I will stay away from guys for the moment!

Ah well look, I know it's really nice to have that closeness with someone. It's great, a really nice feeling. But it's not a choice between that, or not that. You can have that with a guy where you'll also fancy him like fvcking crazy and him you and it'll have a long term future with both of you as wrapped up in each other in every single way. Including both thinking the other is the biggest ride in the world. And that's what you want. When you have that awesome closeness and also you want to tear each others clothes off all the time. And it's out there. There's 3,5,000,000,000 men in the world. Take your time and then take your pick. Easily find one that's a big dirty ride and that you can also have that closeness with.

Thanks again strobe, you have a way with words and a way of explaining it so simply :-) Ain't as easy finding that 1/3,5,000,000,000 the closer you get to mid 30s!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its never easy whatever age you are....Personally I think its easier the older you get...So many people are stuck in relationships they hate but feel they have to stay there...

Me I'm a 40 year old male, I would consider myself to be a "dirty big ride" but aside from joking about that I'm comfortable in myself....From your posts I wouldn't put you in that catergory....Know what you want and go for it, don't worry about people projecting their stuff on to you (I mean this in a good way...I'm genuinely surprised I thought you were mid 20s going by your first post...) Best of luck with it :)

I find the opposite, I had no problem meeting lovely guys in my 20's, there certainly was a much better social scene to meet people then.
    I would never be in a relationship for the sake of it - I do genuinely wonder if you like all but looks in a person is that enough not to be with them. I think that's why my posts come across as immature - are looks everything and was I too judgemental!
    Thanks for your reply :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

OP its not nice to dump someone by text... at the very least, call the guy.

You arent attracted to him, so whats the point ?

I know and I really felt horrible as soon as I had sent it. I would be the first to criticise someone for doing that and I deeply regret it.
    I didn't find him attractive to look at but I did like him as a person. If I met someone I found very attractive, he might not be a nice person whereas this guy was.
    I don't normally feel bad when I finish with somebody but this time I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I find the opposite, I had no problem meeting lovely guys in my 20's, there certainly was a much better social scene to meet people then.
    I would never be in a relationship for the sake of it - I do genuinely wonder if you like all but looks in a person is that enough not to be with them. I think that's why my posts come across as immature - are looks everything and was I too judgemental!
    Thanks for your reply :-)

The social scene seems much better in your 20's because generally all your friends are in the same place.... i.e. All single and going out at weekends, pubbing and clubbing, its only after the event you will see how much is left to chance back then....I have friends happily married and some who just don't click at all, but have 3-4 kids and see no way out....

Now its possible for you to pinpoint what you want, looks and a nice guy if you do it smartly and aren't affected by your peers but go for what you want...Do you even know what you want???Through clubs, still going out pubs etc ..(Problem there is a lot of guys in their 30s who haven't changed or have met girls who facilitated them and made it easy for them)

Also you have online dating which while it may not suit everyone,is an outlet to find what you don't like alongside the more conventional stuff....Personally speaking I have met some really cool gfs online in the past and even now meeting cool people to date on it...

Regarding this guy and finishing it by text, I would just move on, you have apologised to him, I think you will find if hes worth anything at all, he won't come back to you..Would you like to go out with a weak person?Because if he comes back that's exactly what he is.....Move on and learn from it....Life is too short to be thinking what ifs for a guy you knew deep down wasn't for you anyway..Especially within a short dating time....We can't all have our cake and eat it....Best of luck :)

I guess you are right. All of my friends are now engaged/married/parents so their disposable income is gone on those.
    Yeah, I do know what I want but I feel I was being shallow by dumping him because of how he looked and hate myself for that.
    Online dating is just not for me. I actually looked at a site a friend was using while her profile was open and without being bad the guys from my area I knew on it were just not my kind of people.
    You are certainly right about the cake!!!
    Thanks again :-)

Here's the thing, OP;

You let your shallowness and your friends convince you to stop seeing this guy. And then you dump him over text, despite the fact that before this you two seemed to be getting on really well.

That was an incredibly mean thing to do to a person. Leave them alone and move on with your life. And learn to not be so shallow or how to stop buckling to peer pressure so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

I would definitely contact him again. Maybe he has cooled down by now and might be open to meeting you. It is certainly worth a try.

Boneyarsebogman, I couldn't feel any worse and believe me I have learned my lesson. I have never treated anyone like that before, it's just not me.

Matteroffact I really want to contact him and think I just might apologise again one more time and see if he replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Boneyarsebogman, I couldn't feel any worse and believe me I have learned my lesson. I have never treated anyone like that before, it's just not me.

Matteroffact I really want to contact him and think I just might apologise again one more time and see if he replies.

Leave the guy alone. You treated him badly and now feel guilty.
    You weren't attracted to him which is important if a relationship is more than just friendship.
    Get on with your life and let him find someone deserving of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

OP, are you sure you're wanting to make contact for all the wrong reasons? I get the impression that at least some of your regrets come from the realisation that it's getting harder to meet men now that you're in your thirties. You liked this guy's personality but your feelings mustn't have been strong enough if you folded so easily and dumped him by text. When your friend laughed, why weren't you thinking "So what? I fancy the pants off him"? Or why weren't you annoyed that your friend said what she did. It's like she made you realise you were settling and that there was something better out there. You may be trying to talk yourself into something that your gut tells you is all wrong.

Also, even if you do get in contact with him, there is no guarantee that he'll want to go out with you again. Maybe your dumping him wasn't as out of the blue as you think - if you weren't attracted to him before this he may have sensed it. You've also got to think that the way in which you ended things will have made him wonder what sort of person you actually are. You don't need me to tell you how wrong it all was but you can't undo the past. Things will never be the same again.

I would never settle with someone for the sake of it due to getting old.
    I had said to my friend that I didn't find him physically attractive so to be fair to her I think she was being supportive of me by saying he wasn't "my type".
    I will always hate myself for the text - have never or will never ever do that again.
    Maybe you are all correct that I should leave him alone, rereading my posts , I am obviously not a very nice person or the person I thought I was.

• Advertisement

Beating yourself up over how you ended things serves absolutely no purpose. Don't do that sh1t, and don't let anyone make you feel you should. What's done is done. You sound like a good person. Good people make mistakes. It's an unavoidable part of life. No one's perfect. It is what it is. Personally I don't get the near universal opinion that breaking up with someone by text is this awful crime, if it was me I'd much prefer it done that way. What's them being there in person going to do for me in that situation? Much rather hear that sh1t by text when I'm alone by myself and can deal with it how I deal with things, but maybe that's just me, anyway that's just a tangent.

Are you confident that if you got in touch again, and if he was open to giving things another go, that the same thing wouldn't happen again in two weeks or two months or two years when the fact you don't find him attractive and that you are settling when that's really not what you want to do starts nipping at your heels again?

Being broken up with by someone is an awful experience. Forgiving them for that and saying "fvck it I'll go through the whole hard mother fvcking process of trusting them again, take them at face value and open my battered heart to them again" only to have the whole thing repeated, can't be easy to recover from.

Are you in love with him (not just think he's really nice and he's nice to you) but actually and unequivocally in love with him? Sometimes that's not enough on it's own but everything else is never enough without it, not really. Not so that it can last through everything that will be thrown into the mix by life.

Everything I say is just my opinion. Don't take anything I say as if it's presented as any kind of fact. I've no great insight into anything or have any business advising anyone on any course of action in relation to anything.

But, I think everyone deserves to be with someone they are in love with and that is in love with them too. I'd be bold enough to suggest that's probably a thing.

Thanks strobe.
    If we were to give it another go then I would certainly communicate things a lot better. There's no guarantee with any relationship but no, I wouldn't treat him like that again.
    In terms of love, it was only months and it takes me a long time to fall in love with a guy - I don't say that until I am 100% sure, I don't think you know anybody well enough to love them after a few months.
    If only life could be easy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

Are you sure you are not just beating yourself up because of the way you dumped this guy, by text. He was always very decent with you and now you feel awful for dumping him by text. Is this the reason you cannot get him out of your head. Do you only want to contact him again so that you can do it properly next time?? Are you just worried that he will not think much of you because of how you broke up with him and now you are trying to rectify that.

You have to make sure that you want to contact him because you want to be with him and not because you want him to think you are a decent person.

I also think that it is far more important to be treated kindly by someone than to be worried about their looks. Looks fade over time, so you have to ask yourself are you attracted to his personality, not his looks.

I know lots of people who are married to "not so physically attractive people", but they love them to bits for who they are. Don't be blinded by looks.

You can forgive yourself for feeling that you are not attracted to his looks, but ask yourself if you are attracted to him as a person, do you love him as a person and if the answer is no then don't worry about how you broke up with him. If the answer is yes and you are now sure that you love "him" then by all means contact him again. You have nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thanks strobe.
    If we were to give it another go then I would certainly communicate things a lot better. There's no guarantee with any relationship but no, I wouldn't treat him like that again.
    In terms of love, it was only months and it takes me a long time to fall in love with a guy - I don't say that until I am 100% sure, I don't think you know anybody well enough to love them after a few months.
    If only life could be easy :-)

If ye were to give it another go?

You don't fancy him. How can you even consider subjecting him to a relationship where his partner isn't attracted to him? He doesnt deserve that.

Just leave him to move on, and you'll meet someone more suited to you in your own time.

I did like him as a person. My regret is that I didn't let it go on for longer to see if he was someone I could have loved. I always take my time with love - it's not something that happens after a few months for me.
    I still wonder if personality over looks is a reason to break up with someone. Deep down I know I was an absolute cow to do what I did. Maybe looks are not the be all and end all!

I did like him as a person. My regret is that I didn't let it go on for longer to see if he was someone I could have loved. I always take my time with love - it's not something that happens after a few months for me.

How long is long though? I still think you're trying to talk yourself into this because you're looking around and not seeing what you like. Maybe it takes you a long time to fall for someone but it doesn't take most people long to figure out whether they fancy someone or not. That is what the crux of this issue is. You told your friend you weren't attracted to him which is an odd thing to say about a guy you've been seeing.
    I still wonder if personality over looks is a reason to break up with someone. Deep down I know I was an absolute cow to do what I did. Maybe looks are not the be all and end all!

I would draw a distinction between looks and attraction. We all know people who aren't what you'd call conventionally attractive but still there is something about them. There's no point in you beating yourself up because others don't necessarily agree with your way of thinking. You are what you are.

Of course this all hinges on him agreeing to talk to you. He'd be well within his rights to tell you to go away and to never speak to him again.

I dunno BT, a good rule of thumb I think in these kind of situations, or any situation I guess, is to reverse the situation.

If you reverse everything. You are with this guy, he doesn't fancy you, doesn't think you are attractive. He thinks you're a good person and really likes chatting away to you. But he doesn't think you are hot. You just don't do it for him. So he breaks up with you because he wants to be with someone he finds sexually attractive, as he realises he's settling. Breaks your heart a little bit maybe.

Then he decides he's a bit lonely and he might not find anyone he is sexually attracted to and he's getting a bit older and he's afraid he'll just end up without anyone, so fvck it, maybe he should just settle for you.

You're nice. You have a bit of a laugh. He get's someone to hang out with and stuff and you get on with each other. So yeah, why not, she'll do, not really what I'd hoped for, but sure better her than no one. Least I have someone that way. Not a looker or anything, but grand, it's something, and I do really like hanging out with her. Be better if I thought she was good looking, but ah well. She'll do.

I dunno. If you knew that, and could opt in or out of a relationship with that guy, what would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

You're getting some good advice from Strobe, OP. I think you should leave well enough alone. You're not attracted to the guy. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make you shallow. Physical attraction is (IMO) a key ingredient in a relationship and making it work.

I think you're being awfully hard on yourself. He might be a nice guy but the physical side just isn't there for you. That's just life and it doesn't make you a bad person.

strobe, you really do have a way with words and making what feels so hard look so simple.

Thanks berrygood.

I thought this got easier after teenage years, what did I know :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I think Strobe hit the nail on the head: he deserves to be with someone who finds him attractive - it's not just about what you want. Don't beat yourself up about it though - we've all been there to some degree.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

loulou2009 wrote: »
    OP its not nice to dump someone by text... at the very least, call the guy.

You arent attracted to him, so whats the point ?

I really agree with this. He deserved a call when you broke up.

And if you were (or are) serious about getting back then that is worth a call too.

Whatever chance you have with a call I would reckon it is less with texts.

Look you met this guy, you're personality and looks blew him away, and his personality blew you away, but the other thing wasn't quite there. It happens. You're clearly a very sound and intelligent person. Two incredible qualities in a woman. You'll meet another guy. You'll meet fvcking lots of them. The worlds full of them. Don't sweat it. Go easy. If you're in any way attractive then along with the other two things you're one in a million. Just, there's no need to try to force it. Wait it out for what you deserve. It might take two weeks or it might take two months. Let this thing go. And then you'll be open to the next thing when it comes along.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice :-)

I am really tempted to send him a mail over the weekend but then I read the posts here and think I shouldn't! Will think more!

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice :-)

I am really tempted to send him a mail over the weekend but then I read the posts here and think I shouldn't! Will think more!

Sending that email might not end well for you. If you send it, be prepared to accept that he might just delete it unread or just ignore it. He might send you back a reply telling you to go away and never ever to contact him again.

I know that - if he doesn't reply/tells me in no uncertain terms where to go then at least I will feel that I apologised properly sincerely and honestly and I will move on once and for all.
    It's something I need to do.

• Advertisement

I know that - if he doesn't reply/tells me in no uncertain terms where to go then at least I will feel that I apologised properly sincerely and honestly and I will move on once and for all.
    It's something I need to do.

Have you considered HIS feelings, or just focused on what YOU need to do?

If someone dumped me by text, hearing from them is the last thing I'd want.

What do you hope to achieve by saying sorry? A reconciliation? That'd be unfair to him as you don't fancy him. To ease your conscience? again, potentially hurting him to make yourself feel better.

You should just leave the poor guy be.

I just want him to know how sorry I am and how much I regret what I did.
    Just because I didn't think he was good looking doesn't mean I didn't like him - I wouldn't have been with him for some months If I disliked his personality.

Seeing as it has only been a month, I should think you are still not this guy's favourite person. An apology at this time is probably going to be seen as self-serving and insincere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

The guy might have been attracted to you but thought you were too attractive for him. When you confirmed that, he would have been hurt.

When you split up you realised that he might have had a better personality than other more attractive males you dated and wanted that personality. Unfortunately, you really want that personality in a better looking male.

Maybe you are getting to think you won't find what you really want so he might do, or maybe you are changing. We all change. We're supposed to grow as people as we age.

I think most people know when they have met the one and you only started to think about continuing going out with him after you broke up.

No-one want's to be rejected, even when they think the other is too attractive for them. You can't toy with a decent male's feelings. If you thought you could go out with him despite his looks you wouldn't be asking that here - you would know.

If you were with this guy and a really attractive guy with a better personality than your exes (but not quite as good as your dumped friend) came along, who would you rather be with? would you regret settling for this guy?

It's a pity we can't try something and then go back in time and delete what happened. It would be nice to see if you got back with him what would happen. Chances are you would realise you can't be with someone you aren't attracted to despite his personality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Tbh op if someone dumped me by text I would have no interest in hearing from them. Not trying to give you a hard time but I think it's the rudest thing anyone can do and would alter my opinion of the persons character.

I think it's just time to move on and cut your losses.

• Advertisement

shaymus27, I doubt he did! I honestly don't know if looks are the be all and end all anymore that maybe for me personally is key.
    I have an email in my head, am going to send it this weekend and whatever he wants to do from that is his call but I do want to send it - even if he doesn't reply but hates me less after reading it then it will be worth it.

even if he doesn't reply but hates me less after reading it then it will be worth it.

This sums it up for me really.

You dumped him through text and now you're emailing him purely to ease your own conscience.

Do his feelings not matter? Just yours?

I honestly want him to feel better, this isn't about me other than thinking I made a mistake. We are all guilty of doing that at some point.
    If he liked me enough and can forgive me and wants to try again then I will, happily.
    If he doesn't then that is his choice but I need to try one last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

shaymus27, I doubt he did! I honestly don't know if looks are the be all and end all anymore that maybe for me personally is key.
    I have an email in my head, am going to send it this weekend and whatever he wants to do from that is his call but I do want to send it - even if he doesn't reply but hates me less after reading it then it will be worth it.

Good for you BrownThomas.

My idea of posting stuff is to get the OP thinking.

I think you are right to think about emailing as it would be tragic to think of 2 people who might have been right for each other not trying.

You have thought about things, seen what people have written, thought more about things. I think you deserve the benefit of people's doubts that you are intelligent enough to know if you really do want to try again.

People have split up, been apart and got back together.

I think the male would benefit from kind words from you.

They say the things you regret are the things you don't do. I don't think this applies to having flings with everyone you fancied or anything like that.

I do think it applies in your case where you would regret not at least telling the guy how you feel. He should benefit by knowing you really liked him and you should benefit by knowing you tried.

If there's any chance that 2 people who seemed to be getting on well could get together again and maybe be happy together you should definitely email.

Hope everything works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Can you not call him, ask if it was possible to meet for a coffee? Explain what is in your head. Give him some space and leave the ball in his court.

Both yourself and strobe certainly did that shaymus27 :-)
    True about the regrets, for me it was not a fling, I thought we did connect.
    Thanks for your kind words :-)
    I think by email, he can read it/delete it or save it and reread it if he wants. If he doesn't answer a call, I cant talk to him.
    I'll send it and leave it for a few days and if I don't hear anything then so be it.
    I will know eitherway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

good luck op

Thanks CaraMay - trying not to hold out too much hope but will see :-)

I just have to ask. As you seem to have decided to apologise for the nature of the break-up and ask him to take you back (I still think that's the wrong decision but it's you're life) do you intend to be honest with him about why you ended things? "I just don't find you attractive, but I've decide I'd like to give things a go anyway 'cause I'm heading mid 30's here and might not find anyone else" He's likely to want to know.

Or are you just planning to make something else up? And just hope that if you re-enter a relationship, he never realises you look at other men differently than you look at him or that when the sex inevitably fades off (it can sometimes happen when two people are unbelievably attracted to each other in a relationship, it seems highly likely it will in one where at least one (possibly both) of the people have never fancied the other to begin with) and out of frustration he doesn't come asking you if you still find him attractive? Or will you just lie then too?

You seem quite insistent your motivations aren't selfish and you are concerned for and care for him. If that is the case the fair thing to do would probably be to be honest with him so he can make an important life decision knowing all the relevant information.

When I look back at my ex boyfriends, some were good looking and some were not (through my eyes) but the one thing they all had in common was that they were lovely guys. I still speak to them if we pass. We just wanted different things from life.
    At the start of this, I made it clear, I didn't want a relationship for "the sake of it" and wasn't desperate to get married or have kids - in fact I don't have a desire for either but I would like to meet a guy who I can have a relationship with. He said he felt the same.
    For all I know he didn't like how I looked but liked me as a person. The more I think about it, the more the person and not the look is important - looks will fade or god forbid change through accidents etc. and honestly, I would prefer to like the person than base it so much on how he looks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement