Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Guild of Master Craftsmen Direct Debit

Options
  • 27-02-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I signed up with the National Guild of Master Craftsmen 2 or three years ago. I cancelled my subscription over two years ago.

In Feb this year they debited my account for €239.85. I contacted them and they said......

"Apologies for that this is obviously a mistake on our behalf. If you go to your bank and tell them you want the funds reversed into your account they will do this immediately as this transaction was done on the new SEPA DD and as such you have up to 8 weeks to reclaim a DD with no questions asked."

I thought it would be up to them to refund my account and threatened small claims court proceedings on them. The SCC said..................

"Unfortunately this application as framed does not fall under the Small Claims Procedure Rules and cannot be accepted."

I contacted my bank to cancel the direct debit in case this happened again and to apply to have my money refunded from these people and my bank said they would cancel the DD on their side, but I'd have to contact the National Guild of Master Craftsmen and ask them to cancel the direct debit at their end too.

What I feel like doing is going to the office of he National Guild of Master Craftsmen and steal something of theirs to the value of €239.85 and keep it until they give me my money back.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did you ask your bank to reverse the DD? They should have done DSO no problem.
    Just get the guild to confirm that they have cancelled the DD as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭joeaverage

I already asked the Guild to cancel my subs two years ago. And I also asked the bank to reverse the debit, BUT the bank said that there was nothing to stop the Guild from applying to my bank account for funds again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The bank is incorrect. Under new SEPA guidelines they have to furnish evidence of an approved mandate from you. Without that they cannot apply for funds from your account. Once you tell the guild that you cancel the mandate, and you cancel the mandate with the bank, they cannot take more funds.

Also, with the new SEPA rules, the quickest way to get your money back is to request your bank to reverse the DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

joeaverage wrote: »
    I already asked the Guild to cancel my subs two years ago. And I also asked the bank to reverse the debit, BUT the bank said that there was nothing to stop the Guild from applying to my bank account for funds again in the future.

According to Pg 92 SEPA DD rules your bank should allow
    Debtors to prohibit the application of SEPA Direct Debits to its account
    http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/knowledge-bank/epc-documents/sepa-direct-debit-core-rulebook-version-8/

Moving this to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

You would have thought the Guild would refund my money without me having to jump thru hoops. They admitted liability in an email. It was their mistake! Sounds like a bunch of crooks to me, any other business or so called business wouldn't make this difficult to get a refund. Oupps, sorry, not a refund, after all i didn't buy anything, they just took my money!

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    According to Pg 92 SEPA DD rules your bank should allow
    http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/knowledge-bank/epc-documents/sepa-direct-debit-core-rulebook-version-8/

Moving this to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

Nice one Jim,

I also got off the phone with http://www.bpfi.ie/

They said the bank should refund me within 24hrs and persue the originator themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

I imagine they want you to reverse it with the bank, as theoretically if they processed a refund by bank transfer/cheque you could still reverse the direct debit with the bank afterwards under the SEPA rules and in effect get repaid twice. Obviously if this was to happen they could then pursue you for this but it's hassle they'd rather avoid, so I imagine they're just playing it safe.

I'm not condoning their actions or their suggested resolution, just thinking about why they might be doing it like this.

Maybe so, but you would imagine if they are able to initiate the debit then they could as easily reverse it. I've had loads of extra debits taken at the end of a subscription or lease over the years, only to be reversed by the originator with an accompanying letter of apology.

But the National Guild seem to prefer "go and sort it out with your bank yourself even though we admit making a mistake" Suppose you used your credit card in a restaurant and two years later they charged your card again and when you confronted them they said"woops, our mistake, sorry, ring your bank and they will sort it out". I don't know, I think I'd call it credit card fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicmarksec

the national guild of mastercraftsmen steer clear. I discovered after a few weeks They had taken a 2nd payment from my credit card. MAY 2018 without my consent
    he failed to mention this 2nd payment when selling the guild. He has not returned or made an effort to ring me SINCE MAY 2018
    I have sent numerous emails turned up at their office it seems to be one man. I have since spoken to numerous persons and they said he takes the money tells you all the benifits and you hear nothing from them. He rang me numerous times prior to joining and turned up at a site I was working on saying he was in the area and just a quick chat he listed off all the
    benefits and some not true as I have since uncovered
    he said insurance companies contact them before any of the other organisations

I'm going to compile a list of all unsatisfied clients if you want to contribute all welcome, he has stood on the wrong mans toes I will not be backing off

You can count me in, for what good it will do. I have never received a referral from them. Seems like they allow anyone with a cheque book join their association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I saw the crest on the back of a van once. Five minutes research on the web revealed it to be a completely meaningless badge that virtually anyone can buy. And as has already been noted, it is not a 'guild' but one man selling an empty and worthless embellishment to your van and/or stationary. Complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicmarksec

THANKS jOE

Advertisement