Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should plumber include vat in quote?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

If I was quoted 2250, shouldn't,t that be final price??? There was no mention of VAT / cash price etc. This was a domestic job so shouldn't he have made this clear from outset?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Generally, prices quoted would be vat inclusive, but I have known a few to "slip" it in at the end.
    If you in doubt, ask the plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

shane0007 wrote: »
    Generally, prices quoted would be vat inclusive, but I have known a few to "slip" it in at the end.
    If you in doubt ask the plumber.
    Thanks S. I should have pointed out that final bill is 2250+vat. Before meeting him I'd like to know my rights.
    Is there consumer law in these matters? I don't want to get all thick with the guy but I feel he's being less than straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Do you have a written quotation or was it just verbal?

I personally would never quote exclusive of vat unless it was to a builder or company but it would be stated on the quotation.
    All of my private clients would receive vat inclusive quotes, both written & verbal but that is not to say somebody else cannot do all plus vat. It should have been clarify before any works commenced.

gearoidc wrote: »
    If I was quoted 2250, shouldn't,t that be final price??? There was no mention of VAT / cash price etc. This was a domestic job so shouldn't he have made this clear from outset?

I can see no sensible reason why a domestic quote or any quote wouldn't clearly indicate the final payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

if theres a written quotation and it doesn't mention vat at all on it then +1 for you

if its verbal then you'll probably need to come to some sort of arrangement with him, it obviously wasn't made clear enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Is he asking for cash? If so ask him for a VAT receipt. See what happens.
    If he didn't give you a verbal or written quote then there is no contract but if he gave you a vague price verbally then you are entitled to assume under common law that is an assumed contract which should reflect the cost to a layman customer. I doubt he would try to defend it.
    That is not legal advice - you have to buy that.

Advertisement