Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tool to use - changing a tap washer

Options
  • 09-12-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭

I need to change a tap washer in my kitchen sink (dripping tap driving me crazy). I know how to do this but my problem is getting the valve out - as the sides of the hexagonal nut are worn (Stripped?) my adjustable wrench keeps slipping off, however tight I get it. Any tips on what tool I should be using in this instance?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I need to change a tap washer in my kitchen sink (dripping tap driving me crazy). I know how to do this but my problem is getting the valve out - as the sides of the hexagonal nut are worn (Stripped?) my adjustable wrench keeps slipping off, however tight I get it. Any tips on what tool I should be using in this instance?
    Cheers

If the nut is worn then maybe a good pipe wrench or grips would be the choice. I'm betting it's the cold that's dripping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I rarely use a adjustable. They arent a great tool. Handy at times but rare for me.

A good grips. They dont damage stuff and very versatile.

Cheap grips are useless though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Thanks Corkgsxr. Picked up a Stillson wrench in the local DIY place so will have at it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Thanks Corkgsxr. Picked up a Stillson wrench in the local DIY place so will have at it tonight!

Thats not a grips but will probably do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

telephone

call a plumber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Thats not a grips but will probably do

It did, no more dripping. Cheers. :)
    Sparkpea wrote: »
    telephone

call a plumber

Do you also call an electrician when you need a lightbulb replaced? :rolleyes:

Advertisement