Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions wanted on this plumbing work bill

Options
  • 08-12-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

The mother got a plumber in to do a small plumbing job which involved and is written on the actual invoice:

Drain heating system
    Hang and pipe 2 rads
    Position pipework for further 2 rads
    Refill system
    vent all radiators and circulating pump

Now when a price was asked he told her he works by the hour and job should about 4 hours which was grand but now the job is complete he has 8 hours work on the invoice and looking 160€ for his labour alone which I personally think he it trying it on.

Could anyone more qualified than me tell me that the above job description would take 8 hours?

Also he used plastic piping to run from rad to rad under the floor boards is this normal? But still had the cheek to try and bill for copper pipe work throughout!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Was he 8 hours there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

On an invoice, cheap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj58

In fairness he could have spent at least 20-30 euro on pipe and fittings. Dont know what he used but people dont realise the cost of plumbing materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

8 hours, and you're complaining about 160 euro??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

20 an hour not expensive! It the cheaper end of the going rates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

AFAIK he is on the dole and the invoice is just a plain generic invoice with his rubber stamp on it...

I was told he did leave the house a couple of times for maybe an hour at a time and he was made dinner at the house as well...thing is if i was going to be such a big job i would of insisted on a reputable plumber but as this was such a small job i would of expected half of the labour bill tbh a couple of hours tops, I could of done half of the work myself tbh, i bought the rads and all the joints so all was there for him to use already.

This was a small job that would of lead to a few more (new tank needed and solar panels installed) and he was told this but he still tried to shaft?

Yeah in principle 160 for 8 solid hours work is very good value but 8 hours on the above mentioned job, what could he even been doing for 8 hours... god know what!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

you looked bo pay peanuts, you got a monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I don't think any shafting is done here, apart from the OP wanting something for nothing.

Regardless of whether he was fed there or not does not make a difference, he was probably offered and accepted, I myself get offered food and tea breaks all the time.

If the job was that easy then why didn't you do it yourself?

With regards 8hours to do that then yes it could depending on if he had any trouble getting the system refilled, bled and working/heating again.

I hate how people insinuate that there will be more work if you do this job right/cheap. . Often there isn't! Anyway if he's not a proper/qualified plumber u wouldn't get him to do solar panels surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If he's on the dole you're both shafting the taxpayer and legit tradesmen. And good help you if he "slips" and gets "whiplash" as you can be damn sure he has no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

He is a qualified plumber hes around 27 or 28 and has worked with a solar panel install company so he should be fairly well experienced as they are probably the biggest and busiest in the country..

In fairness i could of drained system and hung the rads leaving him to split the pipes and connect to new rads, if i had the time i would of but my mother went through a friend of a friend of her son who she thought might appreciate a nixer...

Ah well lesson learned lads, wasted enough time even thinking about it.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Doesn't sound over the top in fairness. after 4/5 hours realistically he isn't going to attend another site that day and therefore he will charge you the rate for a days work. To be honest i think he was reasonable enough if total bill was 160

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Reasonable price for job as described. BTW I'm not a plumber.

Advertisement