Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FREE - STOVE - Front Glass Cleaning TIP - FREE

• 06-12-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just want to share a very useful tip with all STOVE owners which won't cost a penny and will reduce expensive Chemical Sprays and detergents.

So - your stove Glass Front gets all black/brown and all the stove manufacturers and retailers try to sell you sprays and cleaners etc.
    Well you don't need any.
    Here's what you do...
    Take a damp cloth or damp paper towel.
    Dip it in the Ash from the grate of the Stove.
    Open the Glass door.
    Wipe the damp cloth/paper ( with Ash on it ) - onto the inside of the Glass window.
    There's no need to rub too hard either.
    Watch the Black / Brown stains disappear practically immediately.
    Clean off with another piece of dry paper towel.

I hope people with stoves and the environment benefits from this little useful tip.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This works!

But I'd add one caveat.... make sure it's WOOD ASH that you dip in - briquette/turf/coal ash will only smear and make an unholy mess of the screen.... it's the potash or potassium or something beginning with P anyway is the secret, and that comes from wood ash.

But yep, it works.

(and not all stove people recommend detergents/sprays - I heard about this from my stove installers, who never mentioned commercial products, just said that simple dampened paper usually does the trick, dipping in ash is only for very stubborn staining)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

i've used this method of cleaning the glass with turf ash for years and never noticed any smearing.

hallo dare wrote: »
    i've used this method of cleaning the glass with turf ash for years and never noticed any smearing.

Grand - I stand corrected :D

Was just advised to dip into wood ash when doing this. Stove is only in about two weeks so I'm still on a learning curve (and have never burned turf in it anyway!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cool tip. My stove will be going in hopefully in the next week or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I just scrub it with a dampened kitchen scourer and wipe with an old sponge cloth I keep for that purpose. If it's really bad I will use some Jiff.

I do burn some briquettes with the wood.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Cool tip. My stove will be going in hopefully in the next week or two

Best of luck with it - best investment EVER, I'm sorry I didn't do it years ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I clean the glass on my stoves with damp newspaper. Leaves glass completely clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

wire wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

Jif and a quick wipe with a paper towel does me, I must admit I like the wood ash trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Mo60 wrote: »
    I clean the glass on my stoves with damp newspaper. Leaves glass completely clear.

I use the misses for al the hard jobs.
    Works best on anything stubborn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

scudo2 wrote: »
    I use the misses for al the hard jobs.
    Works best on anything stubborn.

Same here. Only in this case I'm the misses. :)

As for working best on anything stubborn I haven't succeeded on hubby - yet. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

A Fcuk, am I taking to my darling,loving,hard working, kind, nice, careing, wife here??
    If so, sorreeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

fozz10 wrote: »
    wire wool.

I would not recommend wire wool on glass - it will probably scratch the glass. Keep it simple - wet paper and wood ash best so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭kenobee

Great tip. Thanks

Conology wrote: »
    I would not recommend wire wool on glass - it will probably scratch the glass. Keep it simple - wet paper and wood ash best so far.

The 'glass' in stoves is usually a transparent ceramic and isn't at all the same thing and is probably harder than glass. That said, I wouldn't use steel wool either as a plastic kitchen scourer works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

cnocbui wrote: »
    The 'glass' in stoves is usually a transparent ceramic and isn't at all the same thing and is probably harder than glass. That said, I wouldn't use steel wool either as a plastic kitchen scourer works for me.

I didn't know the glass front was a kind of ceramic, but I wouldn't use wire wool on ceramics either though. - Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

i taught it was Pyrex and so is a relatively soft glass. Hardened glass are brittle and likely to shatter under high temperatures, soft glass is more malleable

If the glass broke in a million pieces then is a tempered glass. To learn more about Tempered glass click here. Tempered glass is typically found in fireplaces, and should NEVER be used in wood stoves.

If the glass just cracked, or broke out in bigger chunks then it is known as a glass-ceramic. These products are commonly known as PyroCeram®(not Pyroceran), Robax or Neoceram - just different brand names for the same type of product. On this site we use the term PyroCeram®. The product we sell on this site, PyroCeram®, is made by Corning. The thickness of Pyroceram is 3/16", the most commonly used type of glass used in wood stoves.
    http://www.woodstove-fireplaceglass.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

What are people burning to cause the glass to need such harsh cleaning??

I burn small amount of coal and loads of dry timber,
    glass is clear during the burning process and before relighting one wipe of a damp piece of kitchen role is all it needs.

Also have the dampers set at what ever you leaving them at well before the final fuel burns out and the glass only gets smoked up a small bit when the fire dies out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement