Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

potterson gas boiler,flow issue bypass valve

• 24-11-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37

okay,potterson gas boiler in new part of house(extension)
    extension is heating perfect as there is 4 rads on it, old part is 10mm microbore hottest i can get the top of the rads is 50-55 deg when boiler is turned up to 80deg (bottom 35-40)
    i have flushed/pre treated system.
    there is also a 5m circ pump on the return manifold from the microbore.
    what is happening is boiler has flow temp of 78 deg and return back from the rads of 44 max
    but when i check temp at return from bypass valve i get 68 deg

i think there is too much going through the bypass valve of boiler and not to the rads
    solution maybe? there is a second pump on the zoned microbore manifold(11 rads single) is on the return putting positive pressure on the bypass valve.( even without pump turn on i get bad results)
    if i transfer pump to the flow pipe of manifold, will it put negative pressure on the bypass valve?? and thus the heat from the boiler will go to the rads instead of through the bypass valve again.

rang potterson , they had no clue,

so the rads dont heat up cause the boiler modulates because of the return temp is high from the bypass valve.
    what im saying is, will my idea work,??
    any other soultions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

First off turn off the bypass valve. Boiler modulation will not be an issue but if the boiler has a modulating circulating pump, this can be of issue. This will depend on what model boiler you have & whether you can force the pump not to modulate.

Microbore will always be a pain in the backside. The small bore surface area creates enormous resistance & thus circulation will go through lesser resistive routes.
    Is the microbore manifold a pipe manifold or a manifold box?
    Have you done a mechanical powerflush of the system?
    Can you isolate all other circuits including the cylinder to force flow through the microbore circuit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 jj58

proper power flush chemical power flush unit.kamco cf 30
    its a potterson promax HE. or something like that, LPG.
    how do you turn off the in built bypassd valve
    rang potterson twice, 2 diff bucks, gave me no help what so ever, just said nothing i could do.
    its a 1" pipe manifold, all single rads, small thin type too. little water content, when power flushing got em hot.

Sorry I thought you were talking about an external bypass.
    That boiler cannot force high speed.
    You obviously have a blockage for that much low temperature to the rads. Boiler is just cycling through its own circuit. Are you getting full proper temps on other circuits such as cylinder coil?

Can you shut down all other circuits?

I have shut of all circuit still no better.
    even with 4 or 5 rads on the output is poor

• Advertisement

Do all other circuits heat as they should?

yes but here are little rads on the circuit and very near the boiler,
    i have clamped on my thermeters from my fluegas analyser and i think there is too much going through the bypass valve, thats why i think transferring the pump from return on the manifold to the flow will put less pressure on the bypass valve, i could be wrong, looking for second opinion

No it won't be a boiler issue. The internal bypass in those are tiny. That's why an external bypass should always be fitted when fitted on fully zoned systems.

The issue is pipework on that circuit. Did you dismantle the manifold? You could fit a temporary link between the flow & return at the manifold & see if that heats as it should. Then you would know for sure the issue is beyond that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

I'm I right in thinking you have a second circ. Pump on the microbore zone separate to the boilers pump?

yes there is a second pump on the microbore system, comes on when u turn on that zone,
    i have tested with or without the pump been turned on.
    shane had a good idea to loop/ link the manifolds,
    either way it may not be a solution

• Advertisement

TBH, the issue is going to be the microbire network. If you cannot achieve an acceptable flow rate through it, the ultimate option will be narrowed to re-piping it in small bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Would it be possible that zone pumps output maybe in question and being in place is just creating too much resistance for the boilers circ pump to over-come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I would be looking at a restriction too. Under normal operation the boiler pump is hitting a brick wall.

I would put the link in between the flow and return just to be certain.

Feckin micro-bore.:mad:

just letin ye know i fixed that problem
    i put the pump on the flow pulling from the boiller.
    which had a negative pull on the bypass valve, worked absolute perfect.
    i always knew there was too much going through bypass, too high of temp returning because of that, which caused boiler to modulate.
    and the heat in the rads never improved
    with nothing going through the bypass cause of a pull on the bypass the boiler didnt modulate too early.
    theres one for ya
    cheers

Anytime a secondary pump is added to a gas boiler installation there is the possibility of funky faults as the extra pump can cause problems, it can change the characteristics of the boiler as the boiler hasn't been designed with that pump in mind.

Advertisement