Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3+1

Options
  • 27-11-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

The time shift channel which launch on UPC on December 1st 2014. It's going to come to Sky later after that- probably in the New Year/Q1 2015.

I can't find any PR for the station indicating which channel it'll be on, on the Guide.

What are your thoughts on the service? Will it draw better advertising rates? Will the public react to it? Does TV3 have the programming to command time shifted viewers?

Best of luck to them, especially with the upcoming UTV launch. They're certainly putting everything into their stations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They're certainly putting everything into their stations.

They are? Can you provide some examples of this work? What will they be showing instead of the ITV Studios programming they are losing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The time shift channel which launch on UPC on December 1st 2014. It's going to come to Sky later after that- probably in the New Year/Q1 2015.

I can't find any PR for the station indicating which channel it'll be on, on the Guide.

What are your thoughts on the service? Will it draw better advertising rates? Will the public react to it? Does TV3 have the programming to command time shifted viewers?

Best of luck to them, especially with the upcoming UTV launch. They're certainly putting everything into their stations.

Seems like a bit of a pointless move/waste to me. As you say with UTV Ireland about to launch, that's going to really affect them IMO

They'd have been better consolidating into one channel (scrapping 3e) and launching a TV3 HD instead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I don't watch TV3 AT ALL so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

lertsnim wrote: »
    They are? Can you provide some examples of this work? What will they be showing instead of the ITV Studios programming they are losing?
    Well, they're pumping in funds to make more content.
    They're making more live programming. They're about to start making a daily soap.
    They're focusing on Irish content. Etc. Etc. Etc.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/tv3-buy-rights-make-irish-3509462
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4287480&tpl=archnews&force=1
    http://www.mediavest.ie/3632/tv3-invest-in-metrocam/

Not to mention that they have snagged deals such as the RWC 2015, et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So which department in TV3 do you work? :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, they're pumping in funds to make more content.
    They're making more live programming. They're about to start making a daily soap.
    They're focusing on Irish content. Etc. Etc. Etc.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/tv3-buy-rights-make-irish-3509462
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4287480&tpl=archnews&force=1
    http://www.mediavest.ie/3632/tv3-invest-in-metrocam/

Not to mention that they have snagged deals such as the RWC 2015, et al.

Making more content is an Irish version of Gogglebox, as well as ‘Donal MacIntyre Investigates’, ‘A TD In My House’, ‘Paramedics’, ‘The Lie’, ‘The Joy’, ‘The Lazy Chef’, ‘Ireland’s Oyster Clan’, ‘Prison Families’, ‘There’s Something About Amanda’ and ‘Islanders’. None of the above sounds any different to the cheap and lazy home grown "content" they've made already.

All of their boasting about their HD studio. It's a pity nobody can see anything made in that studio in HD.

They have the Rugby World Cup. That's all well and good. They say that they will also be going HD for that but will that HD channel be available on Saorview? I doubt it because TV3 would only complain about the cost of broadcasting like they have done since day one. I'm sure many will watch the World Cup on ITV HD instead.

Let's not forget that they have also had an €81 million loan written off. Who will be footing that bill I wonder?

TV3 is a joke shop and they should have had their licence revoked years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I bet you all of my (messy James May style) hair in the next few months TV3 will buy the rights to rebroadcast these shows.

The Gadget Show
    On Benefits and Proud
    Gypsies On Benefits & Proud
    Football Hooligans and Proud
    Shoplifters and Proud
    Pickpockets and Proud
    Paedophiles and Proud
    Police interceptors
    Gogglebox
    Skint
    Eddie Stobart trucks and trailers
    Cowboy Builders
    The Wright Stuff
    Alan Carr Chatty Man
    Fifteen to One

Jesus... I regret posting this thread now.

I don't work there. If I did, I would know the answers. :rolleyes:

I do think as an independent broadcaster they're not the worst. And I welcome the introduction of UTV. Anything to challenge RTÉ is a welcome.

Jesus... I regret posting this thread now.

I don't work there. If I did, I would know the answers. :rolleyes:

I do think as an independent broadcaster they're not the worst. And I welcome the introduction of UTV. Anything to challenge RTÉ is a welcome.

27424758d1394748813-fansproject-stunticons-menasor-aka-m3-intimidator-notsureifserious.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Do people forget that Vincent Browne is TV3 and can pretty say whatever he wants. If he was on RTE, there would constant apologize to anyone he has offended, which is generally ignorant people.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Do people forget that Vincent Browne is TV3 and can pretty say whatever he wants. If he was on RTE, there would constant apologize to anyone he has offended, which is generally ignorant people.
    Having him on at 11 is a terrible misjudgment on TV3's part IMO ... having it so late means they are off limits to most up early in the morning for work.

Damn right... He should be on earlier. And enough of the ads at 10:55 which last longer than the talk segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They've a whole team of researchers trawling youtube as I type in search of "home produced" programming.

"Ireland's Most Violent Drunk Grannys"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Making more content is an Irish version of Gogglebox, as well as ‘Donal MacIntyre Investigates’, ‘A TD In My House’, ‘Paramedics’, ‘The Lie’, ‘The Joy’, ‘The Lazy Chef’, ‘Ireland’s Oyster Clan’, ‘Prison Families’, ‘There’s Something About Amanda’ and ‘Islanders’. None of the above sounds any different to the cheap and lazy home grown "content" they've made already.

Oh I see what you did there :rolleyes:

As for cheap programming? Every show costs something to make. They are pumping money into Red Rock, and I'd rather they put that money into an Irish production - that employs around 200 Irish people, instead of going to ITV Studios for the soaps, whose ratings have been decreasing over the past number of years both here in Ireland and the UK.

RTE1 have Nationwide, Ireland's Ocean and The Works on tonight. If you're considering the above TV3 list to be cheap - then you must consider most of RTE1's output to be cheap as well then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is it HD? If not, I really don't understand why they're making a new channel altogether when they don't even provide HD

iseegirls wrote: »
    Oh I see what you did there :rolleyes:

What did I do there? I am lazy for copying the list of programming? Aren't you a clever one for spotting such an obvious display of laziness on my part. Why would I retype a list that is already there? Copy and paste was created for that very thing. Here is some roll eyes for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I used the term cheap, it wasn't a reference to the cost to make the programming.

As you made that assumption, do please show where I pointed out that RTÉ was not guilty of making cheap programming. You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What did I do there? I am lazy for copying the list of programming? Aren't you a clever one for spotting such an obvious display of laziness on my part. Why would I retype a list that is already there? Copy and paste was created for that very thing. Here is some roll eyes for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I used the term cheap, it wasn't a reference to the cost to make the programming.

As you made that assumption, do please show where I pointed out that RTÉ was not guilty of making cheap programming. You can't.

I highlighted Lazy in the show called Lazy Chef, and then your comment saying it was lazy programming. That was all - had no issue with your copy and pasting. I'll try to refrain from using anymore smilies as it seems to have such an effect on you.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I'll try to refrain from using anymore smilies as it seems to have such an effect on you.

That would be splendid. Do try posting with more clarity in future too. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

So, stuff nobody with half a brain watches but an hour later. Great.

Highlights of today's schedule:

Off their rockers
    Ireland's ultimate debutant
    World's scariest near misses
    Secrets of shoplifters.

F*ck off and die, TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They need the HD channel, otherwise nobody will tune in to their Rugby World Cup coverage when they can switch over to ITV for HD.

They need the HD channel, otherwise nobody will tune in to their Rugby World Cup coverage when they can switch over to ITV for HD.
    Yep and everyone with a sky/FTA box can watch every single match on ITV with every big match in HD on ITV1... without a HD channel and proper commentary it will be ITV for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Having him on at 11 is a terrible misjudgment on TV3's part IMO ... having it so late means they are off limits to most up early in the morning for work.

Yeah but those bizarre close ups would put people watching tv earlier completely off.

Yep and everyone with a sky/FTA box can watch every single match on ITV with every big match in HD on ITV1... without a HD channel and proper commentary it will be ITV for me every time.
    Craig Doyle brings good commentary?

Craig Doyle brings good commentary?
    I don't think he actually commentates on games??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is it HD? If not, I really don't understand why they're making a new channel altogether when they don't even provide HD

Despite all the hype most viewers (the ones who are not into gadgets, and don't post on forums) don't really care about HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Skid X wrote: »
    Despite all the hype most viewers (the ones who are not into gadgets, and don't post on forums) don't really care about HD.

If next year's rugby world cup is in SD on TV3 and HD on ITV, most people will not go near TV3 if they have half a brain. Why would they spend a lot of money on the TV rights for here and risk losing the potential audience if they can only provide a sub-standard picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

MayoForSam wrote: »
    If next year's rugby world cup is in SD on TV3 and HD on ITV, most people will not go near TV3 if they have half a brain. Why would they spend a lot of money on the TV rights for here and risk losing the potential audience if they can only provide a sub-standard picture?

You might be surprised. Your average Sky viewer wants a channel they can record with one click, and not have to access via other channels and a messy card trick.

The average Billy and Mary care far more about what programmes will be broadcast, not about its HD specs.

Skid X wrote: »
    You might be surprised. Your average Sky viewer wants a channel they can record with one click, and not have to access via other channels and a messy card trick.

The average Billy and Mary care far more about what programmes will be broadcast, not about its HD specs.
    The amount of people recording sport is minuscule though, it is the one sort of programming that people do not in general record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think he actually commentates on games??

He doesn't even work for ITV any more, hasn't since the start of the 2013-14 season when he moved to BT.

Meanwhile, no sign of said TV3+1...

Advertisement