Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Wing Sauces

Options
  • 07-07-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I would like some advice from you if you don't mind. Myself and a friend are looking at a small business idea here in London. We have the opportunity to rent a small kitchen in a bar with good footfall, young fun crowd, hip area. We want to keep it simple and do chicken wings, just chicken wings. So what in your opinion are the best sauces for wings? We are looking for four, maybe five sauces just to keep it simple.

Apart from the obvious BBQ, Sweet Chilli (home made I may add) etc what would you good folks recommend?

cheers

frAg

Edit- the type of wings we will be cooking are with the skin on, golden,crispy. no batter or breadcrumbs!! Thought that may help you folks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Frank's wings are always a hit.
    Or jerk sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I was never a fan of Franks sauce.....but it has come up in convo recently so its on the list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you would most definitely shoot yourselves in the foot by NOT doing franks wings. hands down the most popular chicken wing sauce, it would be like doing ribs and not doing bbq sauce.

check out the massive E&C (elephant and castle) wings thread for some great tips on how to do them (and all your wings) justice.

I'd also go for something else asian like teriyaki, kung po or peking and if you have the room to do it, maybe try some slow cooked applewood smoked wings just to mix it up a bit and offer something a little different to the usual.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you would most definitely shoot yourselves in the foot by NOT doing franks wings. hands down the most popular chicken wing sauce, it would be like doing ribs and not doing bbq sauce.

check out the massive E&C (elephant and castle) wings thread for some great tips on how to do them (and all your wings) justice.

I'd also go for something else asian like teriyaki, kung po or peking and if you have the room to do it, maybe try some slow cooked applewood smoked wings just to mix it up a bit and offer something a little different to the usual.

Yeah it seems to be very popular but hoping to do something that is not already popular. Anyone can buy a bottle of that sauce in the stores and make it up at home. We want our wings to stand out. Been looking at a peanut based sauce for wings and I like the idea of applewood smoked wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken Wings in Coca Cola are fantastic and would look great on your menu

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057035668/1/#post86444169

Good luck to you!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Most places that do Frank's sauce don't use the "wings" sauce but make it up themselves according to their own ratios of the following:

Frank's "hot sauce";
    Butter;
    White wine vinegar.

I've recently discovered that chicken wings with Tandoori spices cooked in a Tandoor are pretty much unrivalable. So much so that I invented a word to describe them. Unrivalable.

Also, soy & honey glazed chicken is really really tasty but if you're thinking of serving plain, unseasoned wings with just various sauces, neither of the above options are much use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

frag420 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems to be very popular but hoping to do something that is not already popular.

As a new business are you sure you can afford to go out of your way to NOT do what is already really popular?

Everywhere that does buffalo wings does them because they are popular, but very very few places actually do them well.

Do them well and and all the people currently going elsewhere to get their buffalo wing fix will be coming to you and will no doubt try some of your other flavours too and keep coming back for more. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    As a new business are you sure you can afford to go out of your way to NOT do what is already really popular?

Everywhere that does buffalo wings does them because they are popular, but very very few places actually do them well.

Do them well and and all the people currently going elsewhere to get their buffalo wing fix will be coming to you and will no doubt try some of your other flavours too and keep coming back for more. ;)

I hear what your saying. If I was going out and several places were doing franks hot sauce wings the which do I choose? Having said that as it is a commercial venture I would be foolish not to have them on the menu to start with. The plan is to do a few tester nights(discounted wings or free wings with a beer) to see how popular they are and what sauces are favoured more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry folks, but these forums are not to be used for market research.
    If we allow it, we run the risk of the forums being inundated with research threads.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement