Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German-speaking tours in Ireland

Options
  • 19-07-2013 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place, mods please move if there's a more suitable forum.

Is anyone aware of German-language tours in Ireland? Bus tours preferrable (I've found several tour guides for hire freelance and two bus tours I can't use or join because they're 10 - 13 days long) but even just any sights that provide a German-speaking tour guide would do.

I know there are day bus tours for Spanish speakers but German seems oddly hard to find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've looked into this before and couldn't find much either. :/ I only know of German-language tours that are organised from Germany and include transfer from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place, mods please move if there's a more suitable forum.

Is anyone aware of German-language tours in Ireland? Bus tours preferrable (I've found several tour guides for hire freelance and two bus tours I can't use or join because they're 10 - 13 days long) but even just any sights that provide a German-speaking tour guide would do.

I know there are day bus tours for Spanish speakers but German seems oddly hard to find.

It's probably because the majority of German tourists speak English so it wouldn't be too high in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it seems that most major attractions offer brochures and audio visual presentations in German.
    see http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/
    for examples on the east coast.

or a place where I visited and found to be great, the swiss cottage near Cahir in Tipperary.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/SwissCottage/ which has tours only in English but there's documentation in German and other major languages which make up for the lack of foreign language tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think the inherent problem with sourcing the type of tour the OP is looking for is that any coach trip with a German-speaking guide is likely to involve either a package holiday sold in Germany which will therefore involve tourists coming overland from Germany, or a corporate junket for employees of a German company where a local German-speaking guide is hired to provide the commentary in German on an Irish coach.

Beyond a German option (via headphones) on the city bus tours in Dublin and possibly other cities, I can't see that there is any option for a German commentary on a tour coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Hi
    There are a good bunch of qualified tour guides on tourguides.ie which are approved and work above board however it does not work out cheap if you want someone guiding you for a on a private tour.

I could be wrong but I thought Pat Liddy was offering guided walking tours in the city in german, maybe it's on demand only.

However Ireland is featuring very strongly in the german travel market at the moment and every other Travel Agent does tours to Ireland. How about you just contact some of them and see if they do the tour for you without flight. I take it you are already based in Ireland?
    Irish Welcome Tours based in Dublin run a 5 day tour called Land Leben Leute which is a handy tour and covers all the main spots. I think you can book that tour also through Falcon Travel, Troll Tours, Travelhouse etc. Just do a bit of a googleing and you might get something.
    Viel Glueck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement