Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with golf clubs - No fee

Options
  • 29-07-2013 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be of interest to some who travel regularly to the UK with their clubs. 

If you join flying blue golf (KLM, Air France & Cityjet) you can travel with clubs for free providing you print off the voucher.

http://www.flyingbluegolf.com/Travel...avels-for-free

Some will point out that flying with cityjet is expensive when compared to Ryanair or even Aer Lingus but when you consider flying with clubs return is €100 with FR and €60 with EI plus the £20 return trip when using London airports Luton, Stansted and Gatwick compared to only a few pound to London City Airport from central London, Cityjet works out a far bit cheaper especially if you buy your tickets in advance. Also they are nicer to fly with than FR, who I use regularly and don't have a problem with. Hope some find this useful, I have no attachment to the airline.

Also you can also fly with clubs for free on British airways too providing its under 23kgs.

British Airways - Free
    Cityjet - Free
    Ryanair €100 return
    Aer Lingus €60 return 
    Easyjet €70 return

I posted this in the golf forum but might be of more use here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Don't fly with my clubs anymore as I only use them where I now live. But I do remember flying from Dublin in the late 90s early noughties on charters to sun destinations. You'd show up with suitcases and a golf bag. No problem. Load it all on. No charge! But on the return trip an extra charge would suddenly appear upon check in with certain airlines. Ah the good old days.

One particularly funny story was on a return flight from the Canary Islands. We flew out and back with Spannerair (deliberate spelling) We were a group of 7, all with Golf bags. Checked in at Dublin. No problem. But on the return journey we arrived at check in and out of the blue a charge was introduced for the golf bags. It was a few months before the Euro was introduced. As we attempted to check in I was told that there was an additional charge for golf bags. It worked out at roughly 25 punt per golf bag. Major argument ensued. Tour Rep was summoned. We were hushed, calmed and in fairness behaved respectfully even though a bit pissed off. However some of our group were in a different check in line and were being charged only 5 punt extra for the golf bag! A mass exodus to that check in desk and all went through for a fiver extra!

It probably sums up the transition to existing baggage charges and quite frankly I'm happier now with knowing what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Moving to Travel forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd imagine this perk may be about to go south OP, given the imminent sale of Cityjet to the German group Intro Aviation. :(

Flying Blue mileage accrual will unfortunately also be a thing of the past on the DUB-LCY route.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-07/air-france-said-to-prefer-intro-aviation-as-cityjet-buyer.html

Advertisement