Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wordpress and www.nnn.com domain

Options
  • 10-03-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Silly question but I have a domain, www.nnn.com with an irish hosting company and I installed Wordpress using their Application Installation tools.

I can access wordpress via www.nnn.com/wordpress.

Any easy way to make anyone typing www.nnn.com to go straight to www.nnn.com/wordpress ?

I realise I could install wordpress in the root or maybe use a http redirect(not sure about this bit) but I am doing this to help a voluntary organisation (no charge) and I want it easy for them to maintain or get some one else to help them in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The easiest method would be to use a http redirect and it could stay in tact after you're finished developing. It's nicer to keep the root free of things like wordpress in case you ever want to move to a different system. Do you need a hand setting up a redirect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

I think you possible installed the wordpress into a directory folder called wordpress where as you should have entered just a forward / off your domain name

Why not just re-install to a normal position?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Why not just re-install to a normal position

Because I used the Hosting companies self install option!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

amen wrote: »
    Because I used the Hosting companies self install option!
    ..and there should have been a question about where you want to install it. the directory /wordpress is a default location setting.

What was the installer program?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it was Plesk, you can install to the root directory by removing "wordpress" from the install directory field (i.e. leave it blank). If you want a do-over, the installer supports uninstallation. If you've already added content, WordPress has export and import facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

Can we mention the hosting company?

I had this issue last week, and it it's the same hoster then

Click on Sites & Domains on the left hand side of the screen
    Now click on the domain
    Now click on Web Applications
    Now click on Wordpress
    Now scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on 'Change URL Path'
    Now delete 'wordpress' from the input box and click Submit

May take a few minutes to update

Just upload a index.php file to your root and make the following the PHP file contents.

<?php

header("Location:http://www.nnn.com/wordpress");

?>

Crude, but should work fine.

got it working.

thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It might be worth mentioning how you got it working, otherwise there will be someone really frustrated when they come across this post in a few months looking for an answer to the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just upload a index.php file to your root and make the following the PHP file contents.

<?php

header("Location:http://www.nnn.com/wordpress");

?>

Crude, but should work fine.

I recommend not doing it this way: a redirect like this is more of a temporary hack than a permanent solution.

Here's more on moving the WordPress directory.

I created a .htaccess to redirect requests to www.nnn.com to www.nnn.com/wordpress.

I will be using the proper wordpress moving directories option next week.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?nnn.com$
    RewriteRule ^(/)?$ wordpress [L]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Graham wrote: »
    It might be worth mentioning how you got it working, otherwise there will be someone really frustrated when they come across this post in a few months looking for an answer to the same problem.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

xkcd - a cartoon for every occasion.

Have to say been that guy in the image...

Advertisement