Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an antenna for 4G

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have good 4G coverage with Vodafone but the 20Gb limit is a concern,, especially with the long contract. I am still in the 7 day "cooling" period so am considering alternatives.

I'm around Adare, not too far in the country; actually Vodafone seems to have upgraded their tower in Adare to 4G without as yet updating the map, as I have 5 bars 4G when the router is stuck on a window in the Adare direction, while the claimed coverage is at the edges and should be coming from Patrickswell.

I am just out of Meteor's claimed coverage. On the Vodafone router I can find the Meteor 4G network outside the house but not inside; obviously I can;t try to connect to it.

The router both Meteor and Vodafone provide, Huawei E5372, has connectors for an external antenna. Such antennas are available, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-HUAWEI-Router-Mobile-Broadband/dp/B00L57AL10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409429065&sr=8-1&keywords=e5372+external+antenna

So should I perhaps go for Meteor instead and get an antenna, relying on the antenna to boot that little bit of coverage? (I can also put the antenna outside a window while keeping the router inside).

The upside: 30 Gb instead of 20 Gb, and a lower price so the antenna price evens out; and they will probably expand the network in a few months anyway. The downside: while I wait for the antenna to be delivered, I might run out of Meteor's returning time (is it 7 days like Vodafone or 14 days like Tesco?); if the antenna does not help and coverage stays patchy, I'm out of pocket for the antenna.

Or should I return Vodafone, order the antenna, THEN get Meteor when it arrives? And if Meteor fails, get Vodafone again (but will they let me after I cancel once?)

Another option, which I raised in a previous thread, is going for Tesco 3G relying on an O2 mast nearby; but the device I have does not support HSPA+ and I really don't want to be locked into a contract for a 3G only device.

I really want this for a speedy option for work, and to free up the existing DSL for family entertainment. At approx 3-3.5 M download, I can only let the femily have Netflix if I don't use the connection for work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Vodafone is pretty poor value tbh, I'd go with THREE [60GB €35month], or Meteor [30GB €22.50/month].

I only got a 3 bar reception, without an external antenna [plan to get a dual high gain setup] and I'm currently getting:

3715613040.png (Mast is 5.5km away) - With THREE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Why not cancel Vodafone, go for Meteor prepay, get the antenna and test it. If it then works, sign up for the Meteor billpay

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Three is not even remotely covering the area with 4G and I don't expect it to cover the area anytime in the near future. They use LTE 1800 MHz which gives limited coverage for a mast and we don't have a mast close by. (We do have an O2 one but I am not sure when they will actually merge the networks). And I do want 4G. 3G is strongly affected by "cell breathing", meaning that one gets degraded service at peak load times if one is not near a mast. And that O2 mast, sadly, does not seem to provide 3G.

I've been to the Meteor shop but in the shop one can only get the same 30G plan for 30 Eur/month. And going for prepay means paying for the device... then getting locked into the contract anyway when changing to bill pay, worst of both worlds :( and ordering online can take a week or more. So I have no way to test Meteor before my Vodafone test period is up. Unless there is someone in the Limerick area with a Meteor 4G device who could be willing to come over and then I'd stand them a pint?

I am thinking of staying with Vodafone because of service quality. But getting locked into a 20Gb limit for 18 months is a bother. *Right now* they're actually good value, given the coverage strength. But in a few months meteor is likely to reach the area, and even Vodafone itself might introduce better plans. But I have no guarantee I'll have a way to upgrade to those better plans!

I asked Vodafone for such a promise (that they'd let me upgrade to a better plan if it becomes available) on their forum. I also asked Meteor on Boards "Talk to" about plans to cover the area. Also, it seems that Vodafone test period may actually be 14 days while they told me it's 7 days in store, I'm working this stuff out. Once I know all the things I'll be in a better position for the next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

meteor are now offering 4g pay as you go broadband? Thought it was only 3g.

The answers I got are:

- Vodafone can not guarantee that they would let me upgrade but "usually" if a new plan becomes available someone on a contract can upgrade to it.

- Meteor said that they are now only covering "parts of Limerick City" and kept silent regarding plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Scruff wrote: »
    meteor are now offering 4g pay as you go broadband? Thought it was only 3g.

It is only 3G you need to be on bill pay to get 4G same as Vodafone .

Had a read of the Meteor forum and saw the high amount of daytime slowness claims; most apply to 3G but a 4G one was found too. And on top of that, any complaints I might have to Meteor would be dismissed by official lack of 4G coverage in my area.

Staying with Vodafone. But ordered the antenna anyway (from dx.com for under 17 Euro). I'll report whether it led to an improval.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I'm on meteor 4g bill pay, live in east limerick, going by their fairly useless map we are at the outer edge of coverage but with an external antenna get 3/5 bars & speeds around 25mbps consistent thru' the day

Thanks for the heads up - what kind of antenna are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Hi MichaelR,

If Meteor improve their coverage in your area then should try take up the below offer. Looks good if you or anyone in your house is a student.

http://www.meteor.ie/student

50Gb for €20 p/m - Also, as its only a 6 month contract, if it doesn't suit you, you wont have to wait to long for it to expire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

50gb 4g for €20/month :eek:
    not. fair.

If we had a 3rd level student in the home I certainly would try this one.

Unfortunately I don't think the offer applies to primary school students! And we don't have any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Scruff wrote: »
    50gb 4g for €20/month :eek:
    not. fair.

I know - I`m not a student so am struggling to get on this offer

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up - what kind of antenna are you using?

Using the one you linked to in your op

Advertisement