Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Breakfast shows?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ive been reading the thread about 2FMs breakfast show and I'm inclined to agree it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I used to listen to Tipp Fm but can't pick it up anymore now Im living in The midlands.

What is everyone listening to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

I got really in to listening to Morning Ireland lately, I think it's an excellent show if your a current affairs junky. When I am in more of a music mood I just listen to the local radio breakfast show (Jimmy Norman on Galway Bay FM in my case). It's quiet good actually, good choice of music and local news.

I live in Ballinasloe so I easily get the over spill for neighbouring counties stations like Tipp FM, Midlands 103, Shannonside. I think Anne Marie Kelly, previously on Today FM is doing the Midlands 103 one, its not bad either. I can't stand the iRadio breakfast show, I find Ian Dempsey on Today FM a bit dated now and I personally prefer Morning Ireland on Radio 1 over the Newstalk breakfast show so really for me it's Morning Ireland on Radio 1 or Jimmy Norman on Galway Bay FM depending on my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jimmy is a bit past his prime though, back in the early Noughties himself and Ollie Turner were killing the ratings in Galway.
    As said above Morning Ireland seems to be as good as it gets for serious discussion but for light entertainment you might need to invest in an internet radio to tune into the Beebs shows (though I don't like Grimshaw on R1)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

id listen Ian Dempsey most mornings, but i like to switch over to morning ireland for good analysis. id listen to radio kerry some mornings too as its mainly music and local news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Henwin wrote: »
    id listen Ian Dempsey most mornings, but i like to switch over to morning ireland for good analysis. id listen to radio kerry some mornings too as its mainly music and local news

How can you stand the 2 on radio kerry? they try waaayyyy too hard to be ...l dunno funny, happy, likeable.....as soon as the news is over l switch to today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Whats wrong with trying to be happy and likeable? I think the girl there, Elaine seems to be the less happy of the 2, she's always seems to be complaining out about something.

Andrew Morrissey on Spin (ex-Radio Kerry), isn't too bad in the mornings now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Radio5 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with trying to be happy and likeable? I think the girl there, Elaine seems to be the less happy of the 2, she's always seems to be complaining out about something.

Andrew Morrissey on Spin (ex-Radio Kerry), isn't too bad in the mornings now.

Its the trying too hard...andrew morrissey is v good, thought he would be a big loss but l think brendan fuller (whos taken over from him) is brill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

I used to swap between Ian Dempsey and Pat Courtney on Nova but since they changed the breakfast show I'm only listening to Ian. Marty's not bad but I can't stand Joan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Ian Dempsey for me too. Only problem I have with him is that he constantly plugs mario's gift grub dates

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Baba P

2fm Breakfast Republic is improving. Findings it's feet now. Well worth a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Marty Whelan on Lyric suits a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oooh, I better keep tabs on this thread. I just can't stand listening to Ivan Yates on Newstalk anymore. His arrogance just seems limitless.

I've also been impressed with Marty any time I've switched over to him in the morning. I found that his show is good at reducing my high blood pressure as a result of listening to that other donkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Wilberto wrote: »
    Oooh, I better keep tabs on this thread. I just can't stand listening to Ivan Yates on Newstalk anymore. His arrogance just seems limitless.

I've also been impressed with Marty any time I've switched over to him in the morning. I found that his show is good at reducing my high blood pressure as a result of listening to that other donkey!

haha. totally agree. D stuff Ivan comes out with is soooo cringeworthy. Love Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

flazio wrote: »
    internet radio to tune into the Beebs shows (though I don't like Grimshaw on R1)

I think he is brilliant to be honest. Has some very good segments too, especially for the time of the morning.

He is not scared to be innovative either, something I think Irish radio was guilty of over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey for me too. Only problem I have with him is that he constantly plugs mario's gift grub dates

Happened to tune in this morning and Ian talked over most of Mario's admittedly pretty poor jokes at 8.15. Very annoying.

I know they're probably too busy to write any decent new material with the live shows going on but if Mario is going to be on at all, at least let us hear him! :mad:

Advertisement