Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange word strangulation

• 08-05-2014 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Yesterday on the Pat Kenny Show (I forget the context) Pat tried to say the well known childrens program "Sesame Street", and the word came out as "Cess-a-may" . He also regularly pronounces "Leman Brothers " as "Lay-man" .

Irish radio seems to be littered with many strange word prononucations and I wondered did anyone else notice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

AngusB wrote: »
    Yesterday on the Pat Kenny Show (I forget the context) Pat tried to say the well known childrens program "Sesame Street", and the word came out as "Cess-a-may" . He also regularly pronounces "Leman Brothers " as "Lay-man" .

Irish radio seems to be littered with many strange word prononucations and I wondered did anyone else notice?

Well Leman Brothers is actually Lehman Brothers, so he's got the right pronunciation there I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AngusB

Well Leman Brothers is actually Lehman Brothers, so he's got the right pronunciation there I would think.

While you are right in the spelling, if you think Lehman brothers is pronounced "lay-man" then we have to disagree :-) The CEO pronounces it "lee-man" and not "lay-man"

Gerry Ryan used to refer to his "fore-ther" often on his show, which most people pronounce "fá-ther"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

While you are right in the spelling, if you think Lehman brothers is pronounced "lay-man" then we have to disagree :-) The CEO pronounces it "lee-man" and not "lay-man"

Gerry Ryan used to refer to his "fore-ther" often on his show, which most people pronounce "fá-ther"

I stand corrected so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Maybe we are all laymen when it comes to pronunciation. It might improve Further Along The Grammar Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AngusB

Maybe we are all laymen when it comes to pronunciation. It might improve Further Along The Grammar Road.

I like your use of words!

what interests me is why so often on the radio we hear these strangulation of words. Pat Kenny calling "sesame street" "Cess-a-may" street was a real marmalade dropper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement