Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports presenters haven't a clue..

• 02-05-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

most of these "sports" presenters giving out the bulletins haven't a notion. i hate it when they pronounce names wrong or are about 10 minutes behind whats actually happening live. both this morning and yesterday i heard these so called presenters call Sevilla FC Seville, its pronounced sevillaaaaaa not Seville. the team comes from Seville, get it right. have you never even heard of them or what. basic stuff. also let take the snooker for instance, they might say its 10-6 now when it was 10-6 15 minutes ago. now i get they have to come into the studio before there report and it moves on but they only come into the studio right before they go live. there not that far behind. if you don't know your sport don't be reading it to me. there's a certain presenter on a certain morning show who sounds like a 5 year old that has just learned to read. pathetic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

On Q102 on sunday, the presenter said that the title is chelsea's to lose as they are 2 points clear on top. Not sure where he was getting his details from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're reporters giving sports news, not educating people on the Spanish pronunciation of Spanish cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They're reporters giving sports news, not educating people on the Spanish pronunciation of Spanish cities.

no there "presenters" from the sports department giving sports news. the least they should have is some basic knowledge of the news there reporting on. I don't know any team called Seville that plays in La Liga. Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When someone from Ireland and England, or any other English speaking country is going on holidays to Seville, what it the accepted pronunciation ?

Anyway, people in glass houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    no they're "presenters" from the sports department giving sports news. the least they should have is some basic knowledge of the news there reporting on. I don't know any team called Seville that plays in La Liga. Do you?

If the pronounication of seville/sevilla is your biggest worry this week you should be happy.

• Advertisement

maybe you have to be a sports fan to be annoyed with shoddy sports presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Just now on Radio 1, Siobhán Madigan said Ronnie O'Sullivan is leading Barry Hawkins 7-2. It's on in front of me and it's 9-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just now on Radio 1, Siobhán Madigan said Ronnie O'Sullivan is leading Barry Hawkins 7-2. It's on in front of me and it's 9-2

I think that there are higher prioriy sports news than snooker to keep up to the second tabs on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

On Q102 on sunday, the presenter said that the title is chelsea's to lose as they are 2 points clear on top. Not sure where he was getting his details from.

On last Sunday's 606 on BBC R5 Live, Kelly Cates announced at the start of the show that Man City were now top of the Premiership

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Generally sports presenters don't pronounce names of teams/players/managers etc. correctly but using the English version of a team name is pretty standard.

If the standard became that presenters had to pronounce these words as they would be pronounced locally, there'd be trouble. Imagine a situation where presenters had to go 100% scouse to talk about a team from Liverpool or adopt an London East End accent to pronounce West Ham etc. Nonsense.

Although, it does drive me nuts when presenters say "Hose-ay" for José Mourinho but that's my own problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

ring the rte complaint line 1850715815 and ask to talk to joe

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

I think that there are higher prioriy sports news than snooker to keep up to the second tabs on.

well then why bother reporting the snooker scores at all if you cant keep some way up to date surely to within five minute would not be a big ask and what other high priority sports news would there be at 11 o clock in the morning other than a world snooker semi final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

If I had a euro for every time Hazel Nolan says "bagged a brace" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Siobhán Madigan reporting on a snooker match the other day. "Judge Trump"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I would tend to be sympathetic to the OP's view. It just smacks of a lack of professionalism to not research the correct pronunciation of sports persons or teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

neris wrote: »
    ring the rte complaint line 1850715815 and ask to talk to joe

Wow. I was simply backing up the OP by giving an example of something which had happened that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

On a lot of the smaller radio stations the news reader also does the sport as they often can't afford to have a separate sports person. So it's not their discipline of choice, which is why they will sometimes pronounce team names wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

many years ago I shared a house with a newsreader for one of what you'd call a "smaller station". He knew he'd have to read sports reports so he'd chat to those of his housemates who were interested in sport and check the pronunciations of teams/ surnames/ venues so he'd get them right on air. Maybe that work ethic doesn't exist anymore!

Radio5 wrote: »
    many years ago I shared a house with a newsreader for one of what you'd call a "smaller station". He knew he'd have to read sports reports so he'd chat to those of his housemates who were interested in sport and check the pronunciations of teams/ surnames/ venues so he'd get them right on air. Maybe that work ethic doesn't exist anymore!

I do agree, but you have to admit - if sport is not your interest, there are an awful lot of teams with potentially tricky pronunciations, it would be hard to get them all right all the time if you're not that keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Paul Collins and his horrible "banter" with Ian Dempsey in the morning is almost as bad as his belief that it makes him sound cool to add in a couple of Irish words such as bainisteoir for manager. John Duggan is the only sports reader who comes across as they have a clue.

Oisin Langan on Newstalk is awful also. His long dramatic pauses and mispronunciation grates on you after a while.

• Advertisement

most of them are just laazzzy! on the bigger stations that have sports department's, if your working there you should know your sport and do your job properly. No excuse on sports bulletins reporting on live events that are happening to be like a half an hour behind. you only come into the studio right before you do your report. another thing is when they seem to take stuff straight of a website and just read it word for word. ugggggh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

You are all very lucky that you don't have to hear a couple of female presenters on Midlands 103 who regularly mangle pronunciations of sports teams and players names. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

car.kar wrote: »
    I do agree, but you have to admit - if sport is not your interest, there are an awful lot of teams with potentially tricky pronunciations, it would be hard to get them all right all the time if you're not that keen.

That's very unprofessional though. I doubt they'd last long if they were mispronouncing politicians' names all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Paul Collins and his horrible "banter" with Ian Dempsey in the morning is almost as bad as his belief that it makes him sound cool to add in a couple of Irish words such as bainisteoir for manager. John Duggan is the only sports reader who comes across as they have a clue.

Collins is a dose alright. Always calls Tipperary "Tiobraid Árann" as well. Don't know why it annoys me but it does.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

once heard Willian pronounced as Will I Am. presenter must have been on secondment from the Entertainment/Gossip desk

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

once heard Willian pronounced as Will I Am. presenter must have been on secondment from the Entertainment/Gossip desk
    Willian is supposed to be pronounced exactly like William. Most people in the media here and in the UK get it wrong by pronouncing the "n".

Edit: just to add, you'll notice any Portuguese speaker pronounce the "n" like an "m", such as José at the press conferences etc. Here is a Brazilian pronouncing his full name: http://www.forvo.com/word/willian_borges_da_silva/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I heard someone on an entertainment/ showbiz slot talk about "the new zero zero seven movie Skyfall which was due out in a couple of weeks".:p

Paul Collins is hard to take alright. Bit like Des on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't mind mispronunciations, especially when I wouldn't be 100% on the myself. I hate awkward starts and stops though. Cian Murtagh seems like a lovely guy but when he slips up at the start he finds it hard to recover by the end of the bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Paul Collins and Des Cahill make me switch station straight away as i really believe their knowledge of sport is very limited. They seem to be bluffing their way through most reports but the worst i heard was a presenter who kept referring to Thierry Henry as Terry Henry (as in Horrid Henry).
    I used to cringe when i heard him do the sports reports.

• Advertisement

Ciaran wrote: »
    That's very unprofessional though. I doubt they'd last long if they were mispronouncing politicians' names all the time.

But it's unlikely they'd pronounce the names of politicians wrong, because news and politics is their discipline - it's what they've studied and want to work in. It would be like asking the sport readers to do the news - I imagine a few of them would mispronounce a few things because it's not their main focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Agree Des Cahill has been found out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Paul Collins literally has no clue about any other sport than GAA.
    Always find the mucker accent he speaks with outside of reading the sports news pretty cringeworthy. Reminds me of the Eurovision presenter in Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

a lot of it is down to arrogance *i know everything about everything so I'm not even going to ask the correct pronunciation*

this morning I heard a report that Glasgow Warriors had run out 54-0 over Zebra.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Willian is supposed to be pronounced exactly like William. Most people in the media here and in the UK get it wrong by pronouncing the "n".

Edit: just to add, you'll notice any Portuguese speaker pronounce the "n" like an "m", such as José at the press conferences etc. Here is a Brazilian pronouncing his full name: http://www.forvo.com/word/willian_borges_da_silva/

If she said Willian on its own she would have pronounced the N. It only sounds like she is pronouncing it as William as she is saying his full name and the B sounds like an M

There's also a big difference in the way José a Portuguese national would pronounce a lot of Portuguese words and phrases to that of the way a Brazilian national would.

Brazilians pronounce his name as Willian with the N at the end. Five of them here beside me have confirmed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Still Ill wrote: »
    Paul Collins literally has no clue about any other sport than GAA.
    Always find the mucker accent he speaks with outside of reading the sports news pretty cringeworthy. Reminds me of the Eurovision presenter in Father Ted.

I don't even think he knows much about the GAA, only Tipperary hurling. Its cringe worthy when Ian Dempsey quizzes him on an item in the sports news and he has to spoof an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

siobhan madigan on radio 1 - reads bulletins with a sigh in her voice... sounds like she does not want to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

siobhan madigan on radio 1 - reads bulletins with a sigh in her voice... sounds like she does not want to be there

Totally agree! When I hear herself or John Kenny, I always get that vibe from them - they don't interact well with the show presenters.

On another note, did anyone hear the 8:30 sports bulletin on Morning Ireland this morning? I missed the beginning and poor Des couldn't stop laughing - what was the joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

honeybear wrote: »
    Totally agree! When I hear herself or John Kenny, I always get that vibe from them - they don't interact well with the show presenters.

On another note, did anyone hear the 8:30 sports bulletin on Morning Ireland this morning? I missed the beginning and poor Des couldn't stop laughing - what was the joke?

No joke. The two ladies were chatting and got caught out by the live mic and started giggling.

Advertisement