Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultrasound contraceptive for men?

• 13-05-2010 10:53pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would you go for this as a guy?

For me, (as a woman) I'd see this as ideal for my relationship, one treatment every six months, no hormonal interference, it's not permanent etc :)

From the BBC
    Scientists are beginning tests to see if ultrasound can be used as a reversible contraceptive for men.

Based on early work, University of North Carolina experts believe a blast of ultrasound to the testes can safely stop sperm production for six months.

With a grant of $100,000 from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation they will push ahead with more clinical trials.

The researchers ultimately hope it could offer a new birth control option to couples throughout the world.

Lead researcher Dr James Tsuruta said: "We think this could provide men with up to six months of reliable, low-cost, non-hormonal contraception from a single round of treatment.

"Our long-term goal is to use ultrasound from therapeutic instruments that are commonly found in sports medicine or physical therapy clinics as an inexpensive, long-term, reversible male contraceptive suitable for use in developing to first world countries."

Once the testis has stopped producing sperm and all "sperm reserves" have been depleted, explain the researchers, the man will be temporarily infertile.

Their Grand Challenges Exploration Grant project aims at fine-tuning this technique for maximum effect and safety.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If its proven to not be permanent and doesn't cause a shrivel, im in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

Still would wear a jonny, till this says " Stops STI's" ill be covering up.

If i were in a long term relationship, id still make sure there was a backup, either the OH would have to be on the Pill or similar or id still where a condom.

No contraception is 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It's ultrasound of Bill and Melinda Gates.

Sounds far better than hormones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its sounds alright.

I was fairly in the dark about contraception and a non invasive method is preferable. Hands up for a fair bit of ignorance on the subject and squeamishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Would they actually gurantee that you could not get a girl pregnant? If they could do this then it wouldd be a good option. At least with condoms if you are competentt using them then you are almost guranteed not to get her pregnant. The article could do with so rephrasing " a blast of ultrasound to the testes" makes me cross my legs and wince.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement