Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

allergic reaction to engagement ring?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi all .. as the title says, I think I may be allergic to my ring :(
    It's 9 carot white gold. As far as engagement rings go it wasn't expensive but saying that I don't think any €400 should cause a rash. I have it since last June and this only started happening in the past couple of weeks. We are getting married this year and a new one is completely out of the question budget wise!
    Anybody got any tips for dealing with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

teggers do you take your engagement ring off when you wash your hands ? The reason I ask is I got flaky skin under my engagement ring because I never took if off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My mother gets a reaction to gold regardless of how many carats, how expensive it was etc. She only gets the reaction around her neck and has no issue with rings or braclets. I know that she has covered some necklaces with clear nail varnish to form a barrier between the gold and her skin.

Her reaction came on suddenly. She had been wearing the necklace she reacted to for years.

Also do you take the ring off when you wash your hands, sometimes people can develop a rash/reaction if the skin underneath the ring get wet but the moisture is trapped under the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I got a rash from my wedding ring soon after we got married and it was caused by wet getting under the ring. I need to take it off to wash and dry my hands. I wasn't as careful at the beginning and got a horrible rash all around it. It took a while to clear. I haven't had any issues with it since, but I'm so careful. If I'm in a public bathroom I'll wash my hands, but take it off and put on my thumb to dry my hands and then dry the ring itself before putting back on.

I copped onto this quickly enough as I can't wear a watch for more than a few days before I have a redness at the back of the watch.

I don't have allergies to anything else and I don't have sensitive skin - other than these 2 situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

An allergic reaction to white gold is quite common. It's usually a reaction to one of the metals in the alloy. Though, if it's a recent development then it's more likely environmental/hygiene - no offence intended! it's usually new soap/a change in finger size/other (soapy water or chemicals getting trapped under the ring) or something. Leave it off for the next while (or put it on the other hand), and be sure to clean and use talc on the ring finger. A trip to a dermatologist soon will save you money and nasty rashes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Karoma wrote: »
    Though, if it's a recent development then it's more likely environmental/hygiene - no offence intended! it's usually new soap/a change in finger size/other (soapy water or chemicals getting trapped under the ring) or something. .

I dunno, it is possible to develop a reaction all of a sudden. OP perhaps you could consult with a jeweller they might be able to dip and recoat it which might help in the short term. Long term id say you are looking at a new setting though. You could use same stones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Thanks so much everyone for replying.
    I think what most people mentioned may be the problem. I probably haven't been careful enough with drying under the ring after handwashing. And in my line of work my hands are wet a lot.
    I will pay particular attention from now on and hopefully that will help. I tried ringing the jewellers where it was bought to get advice but they are away til Wednesday.

Thanks so much everyone for replying.
    I think what most people mentioned may be the problem. I probably haven't been careful enough with drying under the ring after handwashing. And in my line of work my hands are wet a lot.
    I will pay particular attention from now on and hopefully that will help. I tried ringing the jewellers where it was bought to get advice but they are away til Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Same happened a friend of mine, she just wears it around her neck now...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

9ct gold is an alloy so it depends on what it was mixed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scoothouse

Clear nail varnish inside the ring is a good trick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yep. Pull your rings right up when washing your hands and dry the area throughly. Put on some aqueous cream on the area, rather than regular hand cream, and that should help.

Thanks again everyone.
    I'm going to leave the ring of until the redness clears. Ive put aqueous cream on it and it already looks much better.
    I'll put clear nail varnish on the ring before I wear it again and report back!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone.
    I'm going to leave the ring of until the redness clears. Ive put aqueous cream on it and it already looks much better.
    I'll put clear nail varnish on the ring before I wear it again and report back!

I get that and I swap it over to the other hand until the rash dries out. For me its caused by not drying fully under my rings.

Just a quick update.
    I put a coat of clear nail polish on the inside of my ring and have been really really careful to make sure I dry under ring properly after handwashing.. I am very pleased to say there's been a huge improvement!
    Thanks so much to everyone for their advice and suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Great news delighted it cleared up. You would be amazed at what gets stuck behind rings if you don't take them off every now and again. Especially things like creams etc.

Glad you got it sorted in the end

Advertisement