Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S6

Options
  • 15-09-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a phone after 5 years, I wanted to wait for a good decent phone, but newer models keep coming out.
    When I was about to buy the iPhone 5 the 5S came out.
    When I was about to buy the S4 the S5 came out.
    So I was wondering which one is the better phone-
    iPhone 6 or S5
    I love taking pictures and videos so a good quality camera is needed as in order to get one of those phones I am planning to let go of my 24MP Camera(Nikon D3200).
    So I need a phone which shoots 1080p vidoes and excellent picture quality, so far the S5 has the better camera but I am not sure about videoing.
    Anything the iPhone 6 have that S5 does not ?

Shall I wait for S6 or something or shall I just buy the S5 now, if a brand newer phone will be coming out within December I could just buy that then...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I am looking to get a phone after 5 years, I wanted to wait for a good decent phone, but newer models keep coming out.
    iPhone 6 or S5
    I love taking pictures and videos so a good quality camera is needed as in order to get one of those phones I am planning to let go of my 24MP Camera(Nikon D3200).
    So I need a phone which shoots 1080p vidoes and excellent picture quality, so far the S5 has the better camera but I am not sure about videoing.

Shall I wait for S6 or something or shall I just buy the S5 now, if a brand newer phone will be coming out within December I could just buy that then...
    Just because the IPhone 6 is the latest apple device it doesn't mean it's on a par with the latest android device, to compare it to the galaxy s4 is a joke never mind the S5 or S6.
    Have a look at this comparison that was floating around last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just because the IPhone 6 is the latest apple device it doesn't mean it's on a par with the latest android device, to compare it to the galaxy s4 is a joke never mind the S5 or S6.
    Have a look at this comparison that was floating around last week.

OP.

Do not listen to this absurdity.

Reviews of the 6 and all the latest androids will start appearing after today.

There is more to it than just mere numbers on a piece of paper. ;)

Oh yes I'm being absurd, just have a look at the benchmarks that were leaked yesterday and only show a minimal improvement over the iPhone 5S http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/iphone-6-gpu-only-slightly-faster-than-iphone-5s-in-benchmark
    And also have alook at the massive protruding camera that Apple are so embarrassed about that they are photo shopping it out of their official images.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6209759/apple-has-an-embarassing-bulge
    But hey trustedreviews and the verge are being absurd also. I feel sorry for the sheep.

The Verge also reviewed the iPhone 6, giving it a 9 out of 10.

Summing up by saying

"For a variety of reasons, from the camera to the app ecosystem to the hardware itself, the iPhone 6 is one of the best smartphones on the market. Maybe even the best. But it’s still an iPhone. The same thing Apple’s been making for seven years. A fantastically good iPhone, but an iPhone through and through."

The Verge also reviewed the iPhone 6, giving it a 9 out of 10.

Summing up by saying

"For a variety of reasons, from the camera to the app ecosystem to the hardware itself, the iPhone 6 is one of the best smartphones on the market. Maybe even the best. But it’s still an iPhone. The same thing Apple’s been making for seven years. A fantastically good iPhone, but an iPhone through and through."
    Ya the Verge also had this to say (see attached image).
    The verge are extremely biased towards Apple and this is well documented so while their review was their opinion the benchmarks are facts, and I'll choose facts over opinions all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

avoid Samsung if you're going down Android route. They're overpriced and add their crappy bloatware. Get a OnePlusOne or Nexus5, or wait for the new Nexus 6 or whatever it will be called. €350 unlocked and popin a cheap SIM PAYG.

you still have to choose between iPhone or Android, but that argument has been hashed out numerous times around the web, I won't add to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The iPhone is generally better made, but.

The iPhone is extremely vulnerable to moisture damage. The iPhone 6 is seen as a stop gap release, almost like a second S version of the 5S.

Might I suggest you look at the Sony XP ZII ~ it's got knock me down specs with UNDER water proof and dust proof and shock proof ~ and you can certainly sell your Nikon and collection of lenses, for sure for sure.

It's also super fast on 4G on Vodafone, you could power your house with it.

BTW, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either phone you've mentioned. :)

Red Nissan wrote: »

The iPhone is extremely vulnerable to moisture damage. The iPhone 6 is seen as a stop gap release, almost like a second S version of the 5S.

Might I suggest you look at the Sony XP ZII ~ it's got knock me down specs with UNDER water proof and dust proof and shock proof ~ and you can certainly sell your Nikon and collection of lenses, for sure for sure.

It's also super fast on 4G on Vodafone, you could power your house with it.
    The Z2 isn't shock proof just dust and waterproof as the Galaxy S5 also is. The Galaxy S5 also has 4g and 3 and Meteor also offer 4G.
    And the Z2 is old news as the Z3 was announced two weeks ago.

And the Z3 is old news as the Z3 was announced two weeks ago.

My son got a good deal and I've a free iPhone 5C due to the new releases ~ so how bad. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I just got the iPhone 6 today. It is like no other phone on the market at this time.

Screen is phenomenal

Build quality is without peer

Vibration is strong but silent

Speaker is loud and without distortion

iOS 8 is of course very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

mad muffin wrote: »
    I just got the iPhone 6 today. It is like no other phone on the market at this time.

Screen is phenomenal

Build quality is without peer

Vibration is strong but silent

Speaker is loud and without distortion

iOS 8 is of course very nice

;-)

It's not without peer, try an LG G3, Xperia Z3 etc and you will see it's just average in terms of screen quality, build, speakers etc.

OS might be better alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

iPhone 6 or S5

I have an Xperia Z2, 18mp camers, 1080p video etc.

It takes decent pics and video, but not a camera replacement at all.

Pictures can be very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Red Nissan wrote: »

Are people expecting next years iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 to be a much more comprehensive release ?

Advertisement