Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

update maps

Options
  • 20-08-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi this question has probablt been answered many times by now , buy i will ask anyway. I have a Garmin Sat Nav and its about 5 years old. I use it very little. I decided to try and use it last sunday to get to dublin for lim. match and it was all over the shop. My maps are totally out of date. Can i get them updaded for free and could someone tell me in very simple language how to do it. Very sad limerick supporter looking for help. :)

Thanking you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its old you wont get free map updates unless you registered with Garmin for lifetime maps upgrades.
    Other than that its probably better value to buy a newer device. The new TomToms & Garmins offer lifetime map updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

KoolKid wrote: »
    If its old you wont get free map updates unless you registered with Garmin for lifetime maps upgrades.
    Other than that its probably better value to buy a newer device. The new TomToms & Garmins offer lifetime map updates.

Hi thanks for your reply. its about 5 years old. Is this too old and also what kind of money would the ones you recommend cost. and with the life time updates , would i have to down load new maps from somewhere onto the device

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could get basic new devices from around €120 upwards

See TomTom devices here
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_ie/products/car-navigation/
    and
    Garmin devices here
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/automotive/in-car-sat-navs/new-2013/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c2013line-p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

You can buy lifetime updates for about €65 for your old garmin from amazon.ie amongst other places. Search for Garmin maps Lifetime.

You may only be able to fit ireland+uk on on your old device so it may be worthwhile going for a new device.
    If Irl+uk is all you need then update only would be a cheaper solution.

Advertisement