Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Signal Booster

Options
  • 13-01-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Right long and the short of the story is built an extension onto house and now I have no coverage. Guessing its the Foil Back slabs used for the insulation. I was looking on DoneDeal and found one for €139 but was wondering did anyone have any experience with one? Ideally I'd like a 3G one but these seem to be a dememnted price in comparison? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

You can check out the Vodafone Sure signal if you have broadbamd are on VF for your mobiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Signpost wrote: »
    Guessing its the Foil Back slabs used for the insulation.
    Yep, and the K glass too. You need DSL for the Vodafone suresignal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 c0y0te_

I'd recommend you check out http://gsmsignalboost.com

I got a GSM booster and it works a treat, but I know they also sell 3G boosters as well. They are an Irish outfit so local, which is always good.

c0y0te

some of the 3 supplied 'mifi' units are not network locked but that is for boosting 3g DATA not 3g voice. The unit can be run off a windowsill facing mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 c0y0te_

@Sponegbob When I was getting my booster I downloaded an app from the Android store called "Antennas" which does a real time geographic view of the masts in your area and where you're getting the best GSM / Data signal from.

The lads at http://gsmsignalboost.com told me to use this app to figure out which direction and what location was best to place the flat panel external aerial that came with the kit and it worked a treat. It's a cool app - and it's free. I'd recommend you download it and see what the signal strentghs are like and the directions in your area. I think there is also an iphone app that does the same thing but I can't remember the name of it... but they had it listed on booster site anyway so you should find it there if you need it.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 junomurphy

I looked at the Vodafone Sure Signal too but I am deciding against it for several reasons:

1. Requires a fixed line broadband connection. See Vodafone site “Sure Signal uses your broadband line to give you strong mobile phone coverage throughout your building.”

2. Seen several other posts to the effect that it slows down your broadband. When you think about it there has to be contention between “voice” and “data”. See this thread on the Vodafone UK site.

3. Lack of flexibility. Thanks, c0y0te_ I am also looking at these guys (GSM Signal Boost). The nice thing is that you can extend the signal coverage all over my house using additional ceiling antenna. The will be limited to the one room where it is located.

4. Location, location, location: I like to play with my mobile phone while watching TV. But I don’t have a fixed phone line or LAN connection there.

I just ordered a dual-band device so will report back in a few days top let you know how I get on - thanks c0y0te

Lot of GSM units will be obsolete in 2 years after 4g rolls out. Be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Any feedback 3 years later on dual band booster?

• Advertisement
Advertisement